Scavenger Hunt from Life #51 Dec 25, 2022 - Jan 2, 2023

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. All levels and techniques are welcome.

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colours that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count as more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated, but not required.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Scavenger Hunt from Life 51 Dec 25 - Jan 02

angel
bows, ribbon
candle
drum
eyelashes
fruitcake
garland
holly
ice
jacket
knife
legs
menorah
nourishing
octagon
poinsettia
quart of
red
star
tangled
useful
vacuum
window
Xmas
yarn
zen

Substitutes or associations for items is OK. You can draw a series of one item. Just draw and have fun.
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you all... I wish my Hunt friends, esp. in the USA., are not in too much trouble from the super cold storm.

#1 Xmas -- a piece of holiday red velvet cake -- done with directwatercolor + color pens.

h51_redVelvetCake.jpg

Ai, pretty cute cake. We tried some red velvet for the first time from our Italian restaurant. Wasn’t great. Nice watercolor.

Hi, EP.

Jo, thanks for the new list. I hope it has warmed up a little down there.

Ai, love the slice of cake with the gingerbread man on top!! Hope it was as yummy as it looks.

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating today. We were out most of the day so I didn't get to sketch. Hopefully I can get to work on these tomorrow.

All our "guests" left and it is pretty quiet. I sketched Reese last night, last chance. She is so black you can't see whether she is up or down unless her eyes are open or her mouth. In the ArtStreet sketchbook with a Pilot ball point pen and a Micron 02. I numbered it #2 but it is #1
Something I like

csshfl51like.jpg

And here are the grand-dogs so you can see how black she is. Chewie and Reese

csgrand-dogs.jpg

As I typed on my blog the word food, I remembered sketch number 1, so the sketch of Reese was Number 2, sigh.

Number 1, fruitcake - none here so sketched the biscochitos we make (sugar cookies with anise in them and cinnamon sugar on top)

csshfl51fruitcake.jpg

Last edited:
Jo, Chewie and Reese are so cute! It is so hard to sketch black fur. lol You're right that the only way you can tell is if their mouths or eyes are open. The biscochitos look like a bite-sized snack.

I had to go out today to pick up something for Jerry to have for lunch. It is still very cold here, so I didn't want to sit in the car and sketch. I stopped by Starbucks hoping to get some tea, but they didn't have anything herbal that I liked. I had to settle for decaf coffee, but I'm not a fan of their coffee.

1 - jackets - watercolors and ink
2 - red packages of coffee
3 - window on the display case
4 - nourishing food (?) in the display case

IMG_1499.jpeg

Wow, Joan. I can't believe you even went out in the cold. Yikes. The sketch is amazing.You captured the essence of Starbucks exactly. I smell the coffee. I rarely go. I would go with painting buddies, but we haven't been going out anymore.

Jo: Thanks... Love Chewie and Reese... They are super cute... so sweet sketch

Joan: Thanks...Wow...Amazing sketch... I ditto Jo... So beautiful in all glorious colorful details...Love how you handle figures, small coffee packages, and even the photo frames of burgers and drinks... how long did it take to do this piece ?

Ai - Great start. Red velvet cake with a gingerbread an seem# like a 2-fer!

Jo - Reese is a tough subject even if he is cute. Cookies look yummy.

Joan - great detail. I am a coffee drinker but think Starbucks coffee is overrated. Best store coffee in my book is Dunkin Donuts. Totally agree with Ai especially how well you handle people.

Keep sketching
joe

Last edited:
Very nice piece of holiday AI. Lovely gingerbread decoration.
Jo, excellent depiction of Reese. They both are adorable.
Nice sketch Joan. I like the “daily life " pictures.

#1 poinsettia
– watercolour and ink
1672128563044.jpg

Quick pastel on MiTeintes paper with pastels about 8 x 6 inches. I thought the paper was more green when I got it out and cut it. Then turned on the light. Ha!
Number 3 ribbon or bow - ribbon and bells

csshfl51ribbon.jpg

Hi art pals. Very Merry Merry to you each one. I been in a whirl with with family fun but still you all were right in my heart.

Ai ah, the gingerbread is taking a rest on cake. Probably tired out from runnung away from hungry mouth fox....heheheh...is he ever in for a surprise.....

Jo thanks for hosting. I like the way you integrated Ned’s approach into your list...our hunts are evolving! What adorable dogs. Nice drawing and photo. I always get the digi itch from your sketches....thanks for that.

Joan- awesome coffee house sketch

sylwia- very active poinsettias sketch and I see you addressed the background too! Fun stuff!

Jo, thanks. I can always find a lot to sketch in Starbucks. Too bad they don't have better coffee. Fun sketch of the ribbon with the bells. Very festive!

Ai, thanks. I was probably sitting there sketching for about 1 1/2 hrs. I haven't sketched in a Starbucks in a long time.

Joe, thank you. I agree that Dunkin' is much better. But they rarely have an area where you can sit and sketch. lol

Sylwia, thanks. I like capturing scenes like that. If people are on line it makes it easier to capture their poses. Great job on the poinsettia! I like the ease of it and the lines add a lot. I have two sitting nearby. I should sketch them before all the leaves fall off.

Robin, I appreciate you stopping and commenting.

Today was quite a bit warmer than the last few days, so I was able to sit in my car and sketch. A lot of places down by the water had problems with icing during the recent rain storm. It was so cold and windy that there were waves at the bay plus high tide. As a result there was a lot of flooding and waves breaking over the breakwaters. Then it froze. Quite a few people were trapped in their houses when the water froze. We are far enough away from any water so we didn't have that problem near us, but they did in the towns south of us. I drove down to Sayville. The roads were clear but the ice was still thick on the breakwater and along the water near the docks.

5 - ice - watercolors (I found out that ice is not easy to paint. lol)

IMG_1520.jpeg

Here is a photo of what it looked like down there. The is ice on the rocks of the breakwater as well as the breakwater in front of the parking area. It looks like water running down, but that is all frozen water that was spilling over.

IMG_1518.jpeg

Jo -- Reese if a fluffy ball of fur! I didn't realize what you'd written in the hunt util Robin pointed it out, thanks! Now I can draw a series of broken records :) Sugar cookies with anise sound and look delicious! I like the blue background for the ribbons and bells.

Joan -- that really captures the scene in the coffee shop, just great!

Sylwia -- love the bright colors on the poinsettia. I think I'm afraid of putting down bold bright colors, at least for now.

Robin -- Hi and thanks for making me notice the "series of one item", but the best thing in the hunt instructions is "just draw and have fun". Really appreciate that. :)

Joe -- (answering question from last hunt ) yes the last one from the last hunt had some color in it... it didn't show up well in my snapshot but there was just a touch!

Edit: Joan again, we were posting at the same time! That ice is amazing. I think it needs to be really cold for salt water to freeze. Really like the way you painted it.

I did a quick "impression" sketch from my car after a walk today. When I was putting in the tone, someone pulled up and parked right next to me and blocked the view... I tried moving to a different place but the view changed too much, so part of this is from imagination even though I was still sitting there. When I take a snapshot of the sketch, the darkest areas look too dark and blotchy for some reason. Kind of funny that this is the 2nd sketch in my new "landscape format" pocket sketchbook, and it's "portrait" orientation..

#1 red ---> redwoods :)

hunt51a.jpg

Back