Scavenger Hunt from Life #98: Jan 7 - Jan 14

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Long
Short
Narrow
Wide
Thin
Plump
Rough
Smooth
Wet
Dry
Rolls
Slides
Swings
Big
Little
Similar
Different
Hard
Soft
Folded
Stacked
Crushed
Inflated
New
Old
Used

Challenge:
1 Try an item or two in blind contour
2 Use 3 or more hunt items in a composition

Thanks for the list. I did a sketch as we were taking down the tree…finally. Been procrastinating. Cleaners come tomorrow so. I’ll make the sketch fit here.

Hi Robin, Ned, and Jo.

I pulled out my box of nature treasures and did a continuous line sketch. Then I added watercolors.

1 - long pine cone
2 - short pine cone
3 - rough tree bark
4 - smooth inside of the golden shell
5 - big shell
6 - little shell
7 - soft feather with white spots
8 - hard striped rock

IMG_4420.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg

Thank you whoever fixed the thread title. Failed at cut and paste.☺️.

Last edited:
Joan - Both the line drawing and the watercolored version are excellent. Color usually draws the eye but in this case the line drawing catches my eye more.

Joan -- I like them both but really like the way the splatters and color give it depth.

I am vacationing for three days, before my new teaching term starts, at a small home stay on a canal of Chumphon river delta ... serious Thai fishing boats are abundant here.

#1 big -- a Thai fishing boat docking next to our homestay...directwatercolor with a dab of ink for lettering ... sorry for my shortcoming of reproduction of a dragon pattern ...ha

20240108_121245.jpg

20240108_121032.jpg

20240108_115042.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone...I will be in Chumphon, a big fishing village in southern Thailand for a few days...

Joan: great start of our Hunt with memorable ocean items.

Wow, Joan. Your continuous line work is amazing. I get lost. Much applause and bravo!

Ai, wow on the fishing boat! Hope your mini vacation is a great boost for your new teaching year! Thanks for sharing. And I love seeing the dimsum. It makes me hungry of course. The place we used to get it on Sundays closed in Austin. Mmmmmm.

Thanks again, Fletch. I like the list.

I took a break before putting the stuff in the garage. One of the "kids" will have to help put it in the attic.
Number 1, rough - the artificial poinsettia leaves and the plastic green tree. It looks pretty real and is losing its "needles". Ha. It's 12 years old. After the fire.

csshfl98rough.jpg

Ai - Enjoy your break and getaway before classes restar. Thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like a serious fishing boat. Always enjoy seeing your painting With the view. This time we get a bonus wuth a peek at you palette. The crispy wonton I the tea pot and food drawing brought me back some memories. When my son was little he was little he loved to go for Chinese food. He would gobble up crispy wonton dipping them in very spicy Chinese mustard. Mustard was too spicey for Sharon and I but he loved It.

jo - Your sketch is a reminder for me. Need to get tree and decorations done and up in the attic. No kids to help. Like how you used line quality to make the. Chair soft while box and tree look hard.

#1 hard - ceramic squash. It was a Thanksgiving gift from neighbor. Quick sketch with 5mm mechanical pencil in pocket sketchbook

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

For all who know Jeanne, I got a message from her this morning, This happened last Tuesday.
"I fell out front as I was going to going to go get into the transport van, planted my face in the blacktop.
They took a T scan while I was in the hospital. Showed no damage inside my head or facial bones.
It happened Tuesday morning at 8 o’clock. One on my forehead has a big knot on it and it’s pretty much bothering me lately. In fact, it hurts worse now then it did when I was in the hospital.”
Her face is all black and blue. Several cuts, abrasions and bruises on right side of her face.
Fletch

Last edited:
Hmm. Thought some easy to find, or substitute for, adjectives might increase activity a bit. Another theory swirls down the drain.

Ned, thanks.

Fletch, thank you. What an interesting ceramic pumpkin! What a nice gift. Thanks for letting us know about Jeanne. I was just thinking about her today. Taking a fall is hard at this stage of life. She's lucky she didn't break anything. The cuts and bruises are bad enough.

Ai, your sketches are so good and colorful. There is so much to sketch and paint in those wonderful villages. I wouldn't know where to start since I'd want to sketch everything. Fun food sketches. I still have a hard time doing those because I have so little patience and I want to eat immediately. :) Enjoy your time there.

Jo, nice sketch of what you were faced with on your "break." I think the reason I keep my tree up so long is that I know how much work it is to take everything off the tree and then put it all back where it belongs.

I was off with some non-artist friends today so I didn't get any sketching done...yes, you read that right. I'll have to make up for it tomorrow.

Ai -- I looked up Chumphon river delta, that looks like a nice place. Even the fishing boats are colorful in Thailand. The Thai script is nice looking ( and complicated looking! ) Yesterday before you posted that, I saw the largest crab fishing boat I've ever seen going out of the bay near here, but it had a very industrial look to it, not colorful. There is a neat Sao Lak shrine in the town of Chumphon but I don't know if you are near that town. Hope you have an enjoyable vacation!

Jo -- that post was there when I looked this morning, you were up early! Well... I guess you're two hours ahead of California, but still. Nice job on the tree and poinsettia, at least they don't need water. We had a small real tree this year, and now it's in our compost heap.

Fletch -- cool ceramic squash/pumpkin!

I like to eat lunch here before I go on about an hour hike the opposite direction down the beach.
#1 um, a big hard rock on a long smooth narrow beach beside rolling waves on the wet rough sea.....
I mean #1 big rock!
( uni-ball rollerball pen, inkwash in a waterbrush, watercolor applied with another waterbrush, pocket sketchbook )

IMG_1794rs.jpg

photo:
IMG_1792rs.jpg

Back