Scavenger Hunt from Life 105 February 29 - March 8

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life 105 February 29 - March 8

cup or mug
favorite sketching tool
something blue
out your window
in a closet
from the bathroom
mailbox
your hand holding one of the items
with wheels
travel
open book
glass
cat
tool
small appliance
something with numbers
something sweet
something savory
something spicy
something with ellipses
favorite chair
steps or step stool
lamp
shoes
sea shell
under the sink

Challenge for this Hunt:
Substitutes accepted like dog for cat or stuffed animal
Draw an item with your non dominant hand

Hope you have fun, sorry it is a bit late for Ai and Vivien....

Thanks for the list Jo.

My team is Cal Bears, now in the last year of Pac-12. Ha! Our field has something like bleachers and only holds about 2500 people at the most. It takes me about 1-1/2 hours to drive there, so I don't go to night games. A friend and I started going to the games in 2008 and besides him, you are the only other person I know who is a college baseball fan. I love it.

Thanks for the new list,maybe I'll redesign the desperate mug of the Ricky and Monty cartoon

Jo, thanks for the new list. Will see if I can find some special things to sketch and make it even more fun. lol

For me this was hard! I could look at my hand through the glass, or the reflections, but difficult to see it all at the same time.
Probably really good practice.

#1 my hand holding #2 glass
IMG_1856rs.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everybody!
Ned the hand and glass is excellent. I like the dark shadows. Yes we are about the same distance from Austin so no more night games for us either. Our daughter, Joanna, started going in the 80s and when we came back from South America she bought two more tickets for us so a long time.... Because we sit in the same seats we have lots of friends come and go around us, just like the Hunts. Ha.

joe1lt, looking forward to the seeing the mug!!

Hi Joan and Ai.

Joe - Thanks for the List!
Ned - Excellent drawing of your hand and glass!

Wiped off a piece of UArt, didn't wet it so background is pretty much what was left. Pastels 9 x 12 inches. About 45 minutes.

Number 1 cat - subbed our new Valentines bears - the big one has 100 words it says. Squeeze the hands/paws, the ears, press heart on tummy and it talks randomly, sings the ABC song at one point. Pretty cute and soft (sort of silky material) except for the box holding the speaker and battery. Ha. The little one is just fluffy, soft and cute. about 6 inches tall.

csshfl105cat-sub.jpg

Ned, awesome job on the hand holding the glass! Nice shadows and work on the fingers viewed thru the glass.

Jo, how fun that the bear says random things when you squeeze it. I like the talking bear and the mini one too.

Hi, Vivien!

Joe 1, mmm...pistachios are one of my favorite nuts. Unfortunately I can't stop eating them once I start. Fun mug and jar filled with taralli. I checked to see what they actually were. They sound interesting.

1 - streetlamp - watercolors and ink
2 - with wheels
IMG_4709.jpeg

3 - travel (boats) They aren't actually traveling at this time of year. They were sitting overturned at the fishing station which was closed.

IMG_4706.jpeg

Jo -- Thanks! I got another water brush yesterday and put darker ink in it. Those are both super cute, the little one is adorable!

Joe1 -- the taralli container has nice form to it. I had to look up what taralli is too. We also like pistachios! I like when you put a number of different sketches all together.

Joan -- Thanks! Those are both wonderful, I like the colors in the second one. ( against the warmer colors in the background, it's like the boats want to be in the water..and are "out of their element" on land... :) )

Vivien -- thank you! Hi!

Yesterday I bought another "aquash mini" water brush and filled it with darker ink than I've been using. It's the one in the middle with a bit of yellow tape on it. Trying to use these to draw themselves was 'interesting'... I sometimes touch the tip of the lighter brush to the darker one while I'm working. This made me realize I do it a lot because I couldn't pick up two without losing the arrangement.

#3 some of my favorite sketching tools
IMG_1858rs.jpg

Last edited:
We were at the back garden of a small slow coffee bar...done in a double page spread sketchbook in directwatercolor...I threw in a bit extra happy colors...hehehe

#1 out the coffeeshop's back window...about 40 minutes.

20240302_120931.jpg

20240302_120608.jpg

Ned, thanks for your comment. LOL It is hard to sketch your brushes while you're using them as models. The different intensities of the ink washes works nicely. Good idea to fill the darker one too.

Ai, nice explosion of colors in that house and garden. Super job!

Ned - Nice job on the glass and hand like the shading and slight distortion. Super job on the water brushes!

Jo - Adorable. Great shading.

Joe1 -Love the angry cup and expression on the bottom cat. I like honey roasted pistachios vice salted. Had to look tarballs. Had them growing up but never knew proper name. Grew up in an Italian neighborhood.

Joan - the more I learn about watercolor the more I admire your work! Cars are tough in any medium. Than the play of light and shadow. The beached boats painting has so much to comment on. Great job on the boats themselves (another tough subject). The multiple shades of greens in the trees. The terrific grasses. Another image I am saving to use as a reference.

Ai -Joan and Ned said it perfectly. An explosion of color. Like I said to Joan the more I learn of watercolor the more I admire your work. I am still afraid to draw direct in ink so can only imagine painting direct.

Vivien - waves

Well Joe and Anne are on their way back up to British Columbia. It was a wonderful visit.

#1 Something blue Graphite and color pencil in pocket sketchbook. Drawing looks pretty good until compared to the model. Proportions are all off, but it was fun.

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

Keep sketching
fletch

Fletch, hope you all had a good visit. Nice sketch...and very blue. Good to have you back.

One of my art groups visited a historical barn in Bellport with all kinds of furniture and things from the early days in the village. I couldn't find a sign giving the age of this writing desk but it looked nice and attracted my attention, especially the big book that recorded the births and deaths. The page it was open to was from the 1780 something.
4 - open book - watercolors and ink
5 - something blue (& white fabric in the basket)

IMG_4715.jpeg

joe1lt, wonderful sketches. I too had to look up taralli. Looks good to me! I love the mug!! Thanks. Gestures in the cat sketches are good.

Joan, the streetlamp sketch is wsuper. I love your cars .. always. Fun boats waiting for their time. The historic sketches are so nice. That book might be a bible, my parents had the ones from their families. Just a delightful sketch with the cloth, too.

Ned, great job on the water brushes. Good idea.

Ai, look at your coffeeshop view. I would be having more coffee for sure. Beautiful.

Joe, your perspective is a bit off, but a lovely drawing. I think our minds see what we plant there and then the photo shows. Of course the photo/camera angle could be off, too. Ha. Happy to see you here. Hi to Sharon.

Baseball today and I keep score when the Horns play. They are at a tournament in Houston. The second game is Texas State (son went there) against LSU. Hope TX State can win since they beat us. Ha. Maybe I can sketch during that game. See ya all later. You are doing great!

Back