Scavenger Hunt from Life #51 Dec 25, 2022 - Jan 2, 2023

Jo - Nice work on the l holly. The vignette style fits it perfect.

Ned - Like them both but pagoda definitely has more depth. Keep looking and see two possible reasons the vines do not have as much depth. First is the background in vines is fairly dark which brings the background closer. Second is although the vines overlap indicating some depth the line quality on all the lines is similar. Not sure either is the real reason. I like both and except for your comments would not have spent time trying to analyze them.

Sylwia - dramatic reflection.

Joe1 - Like the loose feel to both the cake and the Angel.

Ai - Pandas are cool. Great find. Sorry to hear another area is being ruined.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Our internet is out. Lightening. No TV. Quiet here so I’m on my phone. I’ll try to comment later. I dislike typing here.
Number 6 Angel - metal tree topper

Attachments

• FEA44C87-AB60-423E-B358-53AE598090FC.jpeg
    FEA44C87-AB60-423E-B358-53AE598090FC.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
Thanks everyone. I'm using my phone for a hotspot so I can type on the computer!! Will be the 3rd or so before TV. Internet???

NedL, Strange how color changes the feel of a sketch. Nice work on the jumbled brances. Not easy to keep them in mind. Super find for octagon. All I can think of is a stop sign and haven't been out. You are making good use of the new sketchbook.

Syylwia, cool stack of bowls, nice job on getting them to have form and look stacked. Shadows are fine, fine, fine.

joe1lt, Awww, nice angel. The candied cheery with cake sounds delicious. Great form and lines.

Ai, guess it is zen in a nice quiet garden. I thought you found some real pandas. Nice anyway. Happy you found a zen place. And look at you!! Thanks for the photo. Oh I almosed missed the orange danish. You eat such exotic desserts. I was through with snacks, but now .... the search is on.

Joe, thanks. You are a great critic with helpful words. You are good at "seeing" things and interpreting them.

Well, hopefully tomorrow will be less stressful. The electric garage door quit working as well, guess it decided it lacked attention.

Jo : thanks ...I buy those bake items to sketch... and eat afterward ...

#7 red .. we stop by a rest area with Japanese garden, en route to a one night visit at our country cabin

20221231_120527.jpg

20221231_120600.jpg

Wonderful sketches everyone. My apologies for not commenting on each one.

#2a useful – mortar and pestle. Pencil in A5 sketch pad.

1672468398452.jpg

It' 8 a.m here where I'm living, :) but I would like to wish you Happy New Year. 🎇

#8 (feet) tangled under PongKraTing hot spring foot well ... directwatercolor

20221231_151012.jpg

20221231_151140.jpg

Happy New Year 2023 Everyone !!!

Hi all, thanks. Using my phone again so I can type on my computer. Happy that works. My scanner is wifi only so had to take a photo. Sigh....

Ai, the Japanese garden is super. Nice lantern and thanks for the photos! Love the feet in the water, clever and well done.

Sylwia, nice mortar and pestle to go with the ginger. Mmmm, I can smell it here.

I did a mini sketch in the ArtStreet sketchbook under the angel with a Micron 02.

Number 7 Xmas - new white bear Gene got me for Christmas, about 18 inches tall. Soft and fluffy.

csshflxmas.jpg

Jo - Nice line work on the Angel. Adorable bear. Additional bears or stuffiest in general are rare here as we have run out of places to put them. Love the scarf.

Ai - The danish is well done and looks delicious. Going to cabin to celebrate New Years? Another first, fir me anyway, never saw a foot well before. Looks like the ladies are enjoying.

Sylwia - Like the hatching and shading the really define the shapes.

Working on my pastel pencil lesson. An avocado. Will post in the pastel forum when done.

Keep sketching
Joe

Ned, I would swear that I responded to your brambles and your octagon sketch. Great job, but I don't know where my reply went. I would suggest that you darken the areas between the vines. That should make the vines stand out more.

Sylwia, lovely shading on your bowls...and they would be very useful. Great ellipses on your mortar and pestle!

Joe 1, I like your angel and the cake!

Ai, thank you. Cute sketches of the fake pandas on the wall...both of them. Looks like a nice garden area. Your orange danish really looks delicious! You have such interesting things at your rest areas. It is rare to find a garden area at one of ours. A foot spa is there too? Cool!!!

Jo, I like your metal tree topper angel. Hope your internet problem gets resolved. What a cutie bear!!

Robin, love your sketches. Super puffiness to that jacket!

These should have been posted with my comments last night...but they disappeared too. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

9 - ribbon - watercolors and ink
10 - useful cocktail shaker (I used it tonight.)
happy new year.jpeg

Robin, I like your hatching and colors. Your vacuum looks big, too. Nice jacket. Fun finds. Hiding Angel made me smile.

Joan, a perfect set up for New Years Eve. We just had wine. No TV to watch the ball drop but lots of shooting and fireworks all around.

Ai, what a beautiful octagon. So well drawn and clever.

Happy New Year.

Thanks so much Jo. Lovely poinsettia, love those ripple effect on the leaves.

Well, I have posted the next Hunt#52 here in case for some people in the faster time zones.

Hi all,

I'll be back later with today's sketch.

Sylwia -- I like the stacked bowls and the mortar and pestle. The shading you do adds to the sense of shape and depth.

Joe1 -- nice cake and angel. The face on the angel seems human!

Ai -- Wow, you've been busy! The pandas on the wall are wild. I really like the 2nd one very much. "Macaroni club and hotel" made me laugh. That's a clever idea to use your palette for the curved frame outline... I will try to remember that one. I like when you use colors to draw meals or food and how your put the words around them sometimes. I especially liked in on the great "octagon" cactus ( well done! ) Nice bright colors at the Japanese garden. I had to stare a minute at the tangled legs but I did guess it was people sitting beside a pool before I saw the photo :)

Joe -- thanks. I was surprised how much adding the background changed it. I went and tried again today!

Jo -- Nice tree-topper angel and cute bear ( "bigger than your average bear" -- Yogi, if I remember right! ). Your poinsettia inspired me to try something new. I've never tried to draw on anything bigger than my 6x8" sketchbooks, but today I took a 9x12" book and tried it. Your sketch made me realize that just because it is bigger doesn't mean it has to be full of details. ( also the "white poinsettia" posted by AMS in the "ink and marker" forum here... it caught my eye as looking nice without being overly detailed ).

Robin -- I like when you draw a whole smorgasbord of hunt items, in different colored inks! That jacket has lots of shape to it, I like that.

Joan -- thanks! I've had a little trouble typing on this site overwriting what I've already written, but so far no posts lost.
I like the happy new year "card", especially the colors in the shaker ( the glasses are great too! ). Happy New Year to you!

I have a couple books of 9x12 inch Fabriano 1264 mixed-media paper, because I like it for a kind of photographic printing. After seeing Jo make that 9x12" poinsettia sketch, I decided to try it today. First time I've tried to draw on a page this big. That big blank paper is a little intimidating when you start, but after a few lines, I enjoyed it... sort of a "roomy" feeling :)

I think the "tangles" might have more depth this time. The sun went away while I was sitting there, so I didn't stay to try to add color ( the light was gone but also I started getting cold in my tee shirt! )

#2B tangled "take 2"

IMG_1371rs.jpg

before I started drawing, while it was in the sun:

IMG_1365rs.jpg

It's also kind of scary to look at something like that and think about drawing it! :)

Back