Scavenger Hunt from Life #111: Apr 17- Apr 25

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #111: Apr 17- Apr 25

anchor
bus
couch
dog
eggplant
floats
gutter
house
inside
jam
kettle
lounging
material
nature
orchid
patio
quality
rotates
savory
telephone pole
upright
vacation
wall hanging
X-acto knife
yahtzee
zig zag

You can substitute a related item for any item: like chair for couch or other veggie for eggplant.
You can substitute a “free space” for one of the items.
Have fun.

Thank for the list Jo
#1 Anchor - Hate trying to draw text so this was a challenge but as soon as I read anchor this was first thought
IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Jo, thanks for the new list...I see some new, different items to look for.

Fletch, love the sketch of the cap with the anchor and lettering. The cap looks so pristine. Do you wear this one at all or is it a keeper? What does MCPO stand for?

Fletch -- great job on that hat!! :) I thought of an anchor too!

I went on a very short walk and stopped here on my way home... I used the "watercolor dots on palette paper" and it worked pretty well! The scarlet lake dot fell off when I opened it... but I didn't need that color today.

#1 anchor
IMG_1881rs.jpg

photos:
IMG_1879rs.jpg

IMG_1878rs.jpg

Joan - I d wear it a lot but have 3 hats so orotate. Fouled anchor is the insignia for a Chief Petty Officer. Fouled anchor with 2 stars is the insignia for a Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO) which is the highest Navy rate for an enlisted. There is a single position higher and that is the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. (MCPON).

Ned - Love it. So your own pocket palette s obviously off to a good start based on results!

Kerp sketching
Fletch

WOW!! Look at that. Fletch had an anchor. Oh, love the cap. You did great. Salute to you and thanks for your service, Sir!

Ned, what a neat anchor find. You did well with your little palette.

Thanks to both of you for the photos, too.

Welcome to Ai, Joan and everyone that is looking around.

I sketched out on the porch (sub for patio). One for the previous Hunt and one for this. Half page in the bookfactory sketchbook with Micron pens.

Number 1, patio - on the screened in porch.

csshfl111patio.jpg

Great job guys: Fletch, Ned, and Jo to start of this Hunt. All great versions of anchor and patio with Gene and his Apple looking comfy !!!

Thanks, Ai and Fletch.
Out on the porch, where else?? Tried a different look to the little trees that have grown pretty big.
Number 2 (numbered wrong) nature - trees and grass with Micron 03 in the BookFactory sketchbook.
csshfl111nature.jpg

#1 upright ...lemoncello bottle
#2 quality ...Daniel Smith professional watercolor paint
#3 rotate .. shopper cart wheel

20240418_223144.jpg

#4 dogs...drawn from toy models

20240418_223056.jpg

Ned, I like the anchor. We have a few like that around. I'll have to get over to one of them. Glad you had enough energy to take a short walk.

Fletch, thanks for the info about the initials on the hat.

Jo, Gene looks comfortable with his computer out on the porch. Nice sketch of the trees that got so big.

Ai, thanks. Love the decorative Limoncello bottle! Limoncello always reminds me of Sorrento. I never tasted it until we were there. The restaurants usually gave a free shot of it at the end of the meal. I was disappointed to find out the doggies weren't live dogs. I thought there may have been a pooch party somewhere.

I went back to sketch again at the arboretum.

1 - floats (pink cherry blossom petals are in the little pond at the bottom of the sketch.) - watercolors
IMG_5064.jpeg

2 - inside view through the walled garden - watercolors

IMG_5062.jpeg

Jo -- like the "sketchy" porch and the trees are great, I always like your trees in ink. Will answer your nice PM soon :)

Ai -- like your pen sketches, especially the bottle. Good idea to use toy pooches!

Joan -- those have great colors.

Went on a little longer walk and found these school buses on the way home... used the paper palette again!
#2 buses
IMG_1882rs.jpg

NedL: Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy using the paper wc palette. You produce great great results along your path.

Ai, mmm, lemoncello - cool bottle. Daniel Smith paint is quality. I like your hatching. Clever rotate.Cute doggies, toys or not.

Joan, your arboretum sketches are amazing. I like the path and the gate. Thanks for the blossoms.

Ned, thank you. Fun to see the school busses. We have one that drives by on the side street but doesn't stop nearby. Will have to go to town.

No reason not to sketch today. Lazy me.

#5 inside ...a Bangkok theme's shopping Mall, called Terminal21 Rama3 ... I hope I can find a prop here later for an anchor... done with wc+pencil+ink

20240420_113936.jpg

20240420_112832.jpg

Thanks Jo.... The same mall slso has a big bay window at its foodcourt overlooking Chaophraya River...
#6 use an anchor -- the Seahorse cruise ship
#7 floats ... another service boat passing by

20240420_124734.jpg

Back