Scavenger Hunt from Life #97: Dec 30- Jan 7

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #97: Dec 30- Jan 7
Amarillo (Yellow)
Bangs
Blossom
Blanco (white)
Buffalo
Cactus
Cool
Cottonwood
Cove
Crane
Earth
Holliday
Hooks
Junction
Jolly
Manor
Orange
Orchard
Comfort
Turkey
Van
Rice
Point
Rosebud

Do you remember this? From 2021. The list is one word names of a few Texas towns. Interpret as you see fit. Associate or substitute. Have fun.

Jo: Thanks for the list ... yes, I forgot several times too, to hit the "Post" button.

Jo, thanks for the new list. Will see what I can find...and try to remember to hit the "post" button which I sometimes miss.

Jo - Thanks for the new List. I'm on our Summer holidays and will try to get some done. Guess its an age thing...I've forgotten to "post reply" several times too! It's Dec 31st - New Years Eve - here in New Zealand, so wishing everyone a "Happy and healthy New Year".

A lot of the time the "post reply" is lower than the bottom of my computer screen and I miss it. If I don't see it I don't click on it.

Vivien, Happy New Year!!! Wishing you a happy, healthy, and creative 2024.

1 - white (boat coverings) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4360.jpeg

Joan: great start with those beautiful white sail noats.

Viv: have a great time..Happy Holidays

Last edited:
Ai, hi and you are welcome.

Vivien, yep we have been at this a few years! Happy New Years back to you!

Joan, the boats are an excellent find for white. Great drawing. Love the touches of blue of course. I'm smiling.

I sketched at my computer desk this morning, then went to fix lunch and never got anything posted. These are in the BookFactory sketchbook first with an almost dry Micron 08 and Micron 03 for the second.

#1 Point and #2 Holiday - a Christmas card and it is supposed to be a regular rectangle shape. Sigh...

csshfl97point.jpg

Jo: super work on hand and holiday card

Done this set below with kido's crayon pencils and ink.
#1 Amarillo / yellow
#2 cool -- Thai ice tea
#3 tool -- kido pastel crayon pencils

20231231_113147.jpg

Ai, oh, so nice to see your colorful sketch. You are brave to use crayons, that is the toughest medium for me. I guess it makes me feel like a beginner. Oil pastels are the same, right? Well sort of with oil instead of wax but the texture is there. You did swell!

Jo..I am scare of using this kido's crayon pencils as well. Tris seems to have an easy roll with them, and/or combo with her OP. I just want something that is easy to transport with me and not so messy. Yes, they are more waxy than the real OP. So they seem harder to use to build-up layers of colors... than regular OP.
I got them as my New Year art toys..
Lol.

20231231_133839.jpg

#5 bangs --> hair related --> hair cut ...Tone was having a hair cut... sketch using my mobile phone

20231231_163205.jpg

Ai, such a beautiful sweet flower. Yummy. (I had to go get a cookie) Nice find of the haircut. Happy New Year for you. 2024 and counting down.....

I was going to do a pastel out on the porch but it was too windy for the easel so sketched from the porch in the Canson Mix Media large book with a Micron 03. After taking the photograph I added watercolor. Took longer than the pastel would have taken. Ha.
Number 3, cottonwood - substituted the little oak trees. These leaves may not all fall off before the green ones start, they will just get more brown.
csshfl97bwcottonwood.jpg

csshfl97cottonwood.jpg

Happy New Years Eve or Happy New Year!

Jo: Lovely tree in both versions... Imagining your pastel easel is getting blowing away... Happy New Year !!!

Happy New Dragon Year 2024 with my sketch from our local shrine....pencil+wc+brown ink

#7 crane ->bIrd->anImal->mythical animal-> dragon ... about 1.5 hour on a double page spread of Talon sketchbook 8x6 inch

20240101_180951.jpg

20240101_173743.jpg

Back