Scavenger Hunt from Life #97: Dec 30- Jan 7

Ai and all, Happy New Year. Ai your dragon is so perfect. The coffee makes me want a latte. Thanks for the photo and all you share with us.

Wonderful job. Hap new yea.
1amarillo ,orange fruit
2earth,presepe figure

Ballpoint a5

2024-01-01 21-48_pagina_2.jpeg
2024-01-01 21-48_pagina_1.jpeg

Happy New Year!
Off to a good start all! Hoping to be more active in Hunts drawing from life in 2024.

Joan - Nice line work on all that rigging! The sky looks like our weather the last week.

Jo - Nice pen work on hand and the card. Nice use of “perspective” on the card 😎 Like both versions of the trees.

Ai - you produced some nice work with the girl’s crayons. That sweet treat looks yummy. Like how you “negatively painted the latte cup. Dragon on your New Year greetings is perfect.

Joe1- Nice sketches with a ballpoin!

Vivien, Ned and other lurkers *waves

Keep sketching
Fletch

Happy New Year!!! I hope everyone had a nice time celebrating, even if it was a quiet celebration like we had here. I was asleep before the ball dropped in Times Square. Give me drinks with dinner and I now the chances are slim that I will last until midnight. lol

Jo, thanks. Great job on the pointing finger and the image on the Christmas card. You've got a lot of detail in those small trees...nice!

Ai, you've been busy sketching with the kid's crayons. I can't remember the last time I used them...maybe at a restaurant that had the brown paper table coverings and the crayons on the table. That yellow Thai sweet looks interesting. I like the sketch of Tone getting his hair cut. Oh, I love the dragon posts at the shrine. They are so colorful and lively!

2 - cove - direct watercolor
3 - ducks (sub for turkey)
IMG_4370.jpeg

3 - amarillo (yellowish beach grasses) - direct watercolor
IMG_4384.jpeg

All: Thank you for your kind support !!!

#8 Van-->vehicle-->Tuk-Tuk-->Tuk-Tuk lego toy, done with pencil and wc...about 1.15 hour at a relaxed cafe...

20240102_122837.jpg

20240102_123024.jpg

Ned, happy New Year!!

joe1lt, Happy New Year. Fun line sketches. Good gestures on the people.

Hi Fletch, hope you do get to be more active. But, we are here when you can be here. Use us for your practice scribbles for your class.

Joan, the cove is beautiful with the ducks. Nice grasses. The lighthouse is always a winner and something reminding us of you.

Ai, your little van is so cute and well done. Wow!

Maybe a sketch tomorrow. Didn't do much today. Eased into the new year, ha.

Happy new year art buddies:)

Ai rich direct watercolor

Joan Unusual view of boats and the material layers of the world! Takes an artist to put it down so brave.

Joe1 .. nice interactive layers animal human in motion

JoC… thanks for the list….one word towns, you mean there are towns name turkey, Texas and Earth, Texas or are these words part of name like Down to Earth, Texas? Lovely sketch of the little oaks…..the color is nice but I like the plain sketch more because your sense of them is clear like the cold air…probably not as cold there as here:rolleyes:;)

Hi Vivian, Ned and Fletch ……Happy new year and “may your wildest dreams come true” to quote Napoleon Dynamite

Joe1lt: Thanks. Cool lines from you.

Robin: Thanks. Glad that you can check in once in a while ... now you give me reasons to sketch more of my cuppa (though I don't have it often) or my humble drinks.

Jo & Joan: Thank you.

Ned: Happy New Year.

Joan: Thanks Such a wonderful surrounding you are: love the ducks, cove, and the light house.

Mornin'!

Robin, yes, those are names of towns. There were many more but these seemed to be "something" we could sketch. We have an Atlanta, Paris, and people names like Tyler. There are 400+ counties, much less little towns. It is a big place. Hope you get to relax with a latte soon. I usually only drink them when I'm out with a buddy painting. Not often anymore. We are on a "cold" day today. High about 48º F. Expecting some rain which we really need.

Joan - Love your watercolors and that has to be the Fire Island Lighthouse. One of my Nephews has a summer house there.

Ai - You made me smile so wid. Legos were one of my son’s favorite toys. He spent hours building cool things like that car but 20 minutes later rip it apart to build some thing else. Thanks for the memory. Excelle painting. Love how you painted the clear piece. What is the block sitting on your palette?

Robin - I hope your new years wish to sketch more at “relaxed cafe” and drink matcha latte like Aicomes true many times.

#1 Buffalo - don’t think I have drawn this before. Multiple grades of graphite in roughly A5 sketchbook. It dies not look it but that took me over 40 minutes. 😂🤣😂
IMG_2256.jpeg

IMG_2252.jpeg

Seeing the photos side by side I can see I screwed up the angle of the head. Too focused on the hair. Oh well.
Keep sketchin
Fletch

Last edited:
Ned, hope you are having a good start to your year.

Joe 1, nice lines on your sketches. Good to see them.

Fletch, our skies have been mostly cloudy with a peek of sun once in a while for a very short time. Not long enough to brighten a scene. Yes, that is the Fire Island Lighthouse. I'm glad it is close to me so I can visit it so often. When I took my walk I took along my sketchbook, sat and sketched it lightly in pencil and then realized I had left my palette on the front seat of the car. I'll leave the sketch in the book and maybe another day when it is warm I'll go back and paint it. I have a nephew who loved Legos as a kid and still loves them as an adult. He belongs to several online groups that create things out of Legos. He lives in Japan now and when he moved there he took an entire suitcase full of Legos with him and had some others shipped to him.

Ai, that lego tuk tuk is so cute and colorful! I love that they had it sitting there.

Robin, Happy New Year! Hope your year is off to a good start and you will find time to relax and maybe sketch a bit if that helps.

Jo, I hope you got some of that needed rain. There were a lot of people at the lighthouse yesterday...maybe it was the hot chocolate and cookies they were passing out. lol

Comments now... a few sketches later or maybe tomorrow ( my little camera is out in the car and it is pouring right now )!

Jo -- thanks for the list, and the recent ones too! I went to look this morning and there are definitely no rosebuds at the moment, though I did see a great sub on my walk yesterday.. if I walk there again before this hunt is over maybe I can try it.... ). Somehow I don't think the rectangle matters on that card, I like it! A nice graphic composition. I love the pair of oak trees, and the color you added. Same here: some of the oaks will still have brown leaves when the green ones start... we also have a lot of coast live oak that are green all year.

Joan -- those masts on the sailboats make a nice pattern in the sky. The direct watercolor pond and lighthouse are great... less white showing through than usual, especially in the lighthouse ( I look at what you and Ai do because the few times I tried just watercolor I made an ridiculous mess of it :) ).

Ai -- I like the crayon and ink sketches. Maybe a 2024 theme for me will be "simple is good". Nice lively sketch of the haircut on your phone. Oh wow that dragon is fantastic. You find amazing colorful things to paint. "tuk tuk tuk" is cool!

Joe1 -- nice "sketchy" drawings with a ball point!

Fletch -- That buffalo looks great, the fur on the back is excellent!

Robin, Vivien, hi and happy New Year to you!

Thanks all: Jo, Fletch, Ned, Joan, and Robin

Fletch:
Super job on the bison !!!. The white/gray block on my palette is a special kind of super sponge... very dense and absorb a ton of water, my friend cut out his last piece and gave it to me. If it was little damp, you can use it to wipe off wet wc on the papers plus can also use it to clean my palette afterward too. My friend got a big chunk of it from China... I still cannot find anything similar in Thai market. BTW, I saw this on Am-azon but still don't know if it is the same --> https://www.amazon.com/Rectangle-Watercolor-Painting-Cleaning-Household/dp/B08QV5VN66/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1FFJ4L8F30D53&keywords=super+dense+sponge+for+watercolor+painting&qid=1704249907&sprefix=super+dense+sponge+for+watercolor+painti,aps,349&sr=8-2&th=1

Last edited:
#1 cove ( sort of! )
IMG_1774rs.jpg

#2 buffalo sub moo
IMG_1775rs.jpg

#3 cool turtle with #4 cactus sub succulent. ink + watercolor applied w/ waterbrush
IMG_1776rs.jpg

IRL:
IMG_1772rs.jpg

Fletch, I love that you know the places that Joan paints. Fun chats. The buffalo is really good. Maybe the more downward tilt is he's checking to see if he passed up some grass. It is a nifty sculpture.

Joan, good Lego story. Wow, I think my grandson is living his Lego dreams through his boys. Ha.

Ned didn't think we'd see your sketches and then.... Lucky you to have an almost cove nearby. Nice rock work and water. Nice ink shading. I love cows, that made me smile. The turtle planter is so fun to see. Nice cactus.

Again no sketching. I did a quick sketch of cranes from a photo for the Monthly Prompts. Tomorrow I hope to play in the dust.

Hi to Robin, EP, joe1lt and all the rest. Be back tomorrow.

Try to experiment with my DIY mini travel wc palette ... done in directwatercolor ...uhm I need to add some bright pink in my palette...

#9 orange
#10 comfort -- herbal tea in my office

20240103_113212.jpg

20240103_112926.jpg

Ned: Thanks ...love your beautiful Cove, cute cow, and a super cute turtle planter...

Ai, great sketch of a mug for my collection! You are so good with direct watercolor. Thanks for the photo, too.

Back