Scavenger Hunt from Life #98: Jan 7 - Jan 14

Fletch, what a great gift. Your sketch has great lines and shading. Thanks for the news on Jeanne. I haven't checked on her for a while. You never know what we are going to sketch and how active we are. I hope to do more.

Joan, can't believe you didn't sketch today. I'm smiling, you're following me and that isn't good. Ha.

Ned, such pretty and stark seacoast around you. The sketch shows the vastness I think. The far dry mountains remind me of Peru, the coast is just dirt not so many big rocks. Very deep water just a few yards out. Thanks for the photos. Miles and miles of desert where it never rains.

See all y'all tomorrow

Oops I just lost a lengthy post done on my mobile...anyway this is ...

#5 hard ..as I have a hard time sketching while local folks hovering around me talking local politics and another kid kept shaking my bench, glad I pushed through till finish.

20240109_150659.jpg

20240109_150555.jpg

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Long
Short
Narrow
Wide
Thin
Plump
Rough
Smooth
Wet
Dry
Rolls
Slides
Swings
Big
Little
Similar
Different
Hard
Soft
Folded
Stacked
Crushed
Inflated
New
Old
Used

Challenge:
1 Try an item or two in blind contour
2 Use 3 or more hunt items in a composition
Starting a 4 session playful drawing course, these came from lesson 1. Fairly standard stuff: pick something, draw/sketch many
IMG_20240109_204044_2.jpg
IMG_20240109_204134_1.jpg
quickly. Eventually create a detailed work. Haven't got there yet.
Section: soft, a banana and banana skin.
IMG_20240109_204140_1.jpg

Ned - First thanks for demonstrating my easy to find point..long, smooth, narrow, rolling, big all found in a seascape! Really like the soft colors with ink.

Ai - Little man on the stern is cute. Most you have shown us in the past have an outboard motor. Nice work despite distractions. Great line work on the pot.

JennieJo - Suddenly I crave a banana. Nice work. Glad you can use class items for the Hunt and share with us.

joan, Jo 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, sigh, so irritating when a post goes astray! This boat is amazing. I don't know how you do direct watercolor so well. The colors are so pure. The mokapot is nifty. I need to get one of those.

JennieJo, how fun when a class and sketching for the Hunts meet up. The bananas have great gesture and form. flowing lines.

Hi Fletch, a pastel for ya. I wiped off the cactus and wet the paper with alcohol again. I'm posting in the pastel forum with a bit more info.
Number 2 - similar being both fruit and sort of the same colors. 8 x 10 on the new Lux Archival paper, recycled. I might keep this one at least for a while! It fits in my pastel class as warm and cool... I may adjust it a little, but good for here.

csshflsimilar.jpg

similar-setup.jpg

Ned - First thanks for demonstrating my easy to find point..long, smooth, narrow, rolling, big all found in a seascape! Really like the soft colors with ink.

Ai - Little man on the stern is cute. Most you have shown us in the past have an outboard motor. Nice work despite distractions. Great line work on the pot.

JennieJo - Suddenly I crave a banana. Nice work. Glad you can use class items for the Hunt and share with us.

Jo - Beautiful . Another great play of light ad shadow.

Joan 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Ned, you aren't kidding about the BIG rock!

Ai, some people are really disruptive when you try to sketch. Glad you persisted when you were painting the boat. Nice work on the mokapot. That's what I used to make my coffee in Venice since I only drink one cup of decaf.

Jennie Jo, nice banana studies. I like that you did a few unusual angles too.

Jo, your fruit looks yummy enough to eat. Love the lighting you captured.

Hoping to get some sketches done tonight. I had a busy start to the day and haven't gotten around to any art yet.

joan, Jo 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch
They seemed like a perfect match. And, your list made it easy.

Joan - Thought sure you would use a wave for Rolls. Nice pen sketches with cool perspective on the shower stall but the Procreate Cups are like 3D!

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joan -- wow that procreate one looks like it could have been drawn by hand ( not digitally, I mean! )

#7 wide....a "wide" view of the deck of our Chumphon homestay during the morning sunrise.... directwatercolor...note of my sketch fan from my homestay...

20240110_072255.jpg

20240110_072426.jpg

20240110_065511.jpg

Joan, look at you go with the list! #12 already. Super lines on the cabinet, rolling pen and shower. The stacked mugs look so "real". Nice shading.

Hi Ned and Fletch.

Ai, the deck of the homestay is so good. You were out early. Love the colors and sky. Your company/fan is different for you.

Ai Looks like you captured the start of a beautiful day and found a new fan. Looking at the last photo, that would make a great painting too!

#2 soft - Teddy bear drawn rather quickly in pocket sketchbook with color pencil, actually drawn very fast for color pencil. 😇

IMG_2280.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch, thanks so much. The stuffed bear looks so soft and cuddly.

Ned, thanks!

Ai, nice river view sketch and I like your fan that's keeping you company.

Jo, sometimes I can get a few items in one sketch. Thanks.

We had a big storm roll through most of the east coast yesterday afternoon into this morning...lots of rain, high winds, and super high tides. With water all around me it wasn't hard to find a local spot with flooding this morning. This is the West End Dock in West Sayville. The dock was totally under water and so was a good portion of the street. I sat in my mobile studio to sketch the view.
13 - wet (flooded dock) - watercolors and ink
14 - narrow trees
IMG_4437.jpeg

Quick ink sketches of rokm decoration at thr homestay
#7 long (Fish patchwork dolls)
#8 little (weight) ...of a dreamcatcher
20240111_083639.jpg

#9 old ...sunrise of the old fishing community of Chumphon... on the river opposite my homestay...directwatercolor

20240111_075929.jpg

20240111_075952.jpg

Fletch, love the soft Teddy. Well done for a quickie.

Joan your wet dock and thin trees is so nice. I would be leery of going near the water. We are cooler and very windy. Supposed to bring rain but none so far.

Joan - Looked at your painting before reading. Trying to guess what items you will pick. Got the wet but thought you would use wires for narrow or thin and a boat for either old or used. Painting definitely looks damp and chilly.

Ai - Nice line work on the fish and dream catcher. Love dream catchers. There is something about them that is calming. So enjoy visit Thailand and its beauty through your art.

Pine Cone - thinking of you
Keep sketching
Fletch

Back