Scavenger Hunt from Life #51 Dec 25, 2022 - Jan 2, 2023

Robin, thanks for your comments. You will sketch soon.

Joan, your ice is amazing. I’m so happy we didn’t get ice. It’s was a dry cold.

Hi Ned, thanks. Triss used to incorporate a blue mug in many sketches and also the field by her house. Always fun to see the variations. I like the portrait orientation of the trees. Neat sketch. Hard to show the “forest”.

Sylwia - like how the touches of ink can suggest so much more detail. Well done.

Jo - the ribbon pattern almost looks like an abstract. Pretty. I have a few sheets of what I thought was gray Mi-Tientes that looks more brown in brighter light. So i sympathize.

Joan - Your painting definitely looks cold! Brrr

Ned - I am sure you rotated the portrait sketchbook a time or two. I see where you pointed out the darks as being blotchy but I looked at the paintin* before reading and saw the darker spots as shadows from branches and foliage. Nice work.

Finally finished up the ink section of the course Next is pastels.

Keep sketching
Joe

Hi, Joe. Looking forward to your pastels.

I sketched on my footstool in front of the TV. I started at the top and ran out of room so the bottom of the vacuum is longer and slimmer. I should have started at the bottom or decided on the length and width before I started. Ha.
Number 4 vacuum - the one I never use.....Micron 02 in the ArtStreet sketchbook.

csshfl51vacuum.jpg

Ned, thanks for your comments. I like your redwood trees and just the touch of color. Looking good!

Jo, I'm glad you didn't get any ice. I think most of it here is gone since it was nearly 45 degrees and sunny today...and should be milder tomorrow. Good job on the sturdy looking vacuum.

Joe, yeah...it was a little nippy out. lol Are we going to see some pastel work as you are working?

6 - angel - graphite pencil

IMG_1522.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg

7 - poinsettia - ballpoint pen

jo + you vacuum is typical of this time of year…we are all a little wide. Nice hatching.

joan - Love the clean lines of the angel. Studying the poinsettia trying to see how you got such beautiful shading with a ballpoint pen.

No promises on the using pastels in the hunt. Will see how it goes. So far it is all pastel pencils So maybe.

Thank you all for the nice words.

Jo – awesome ribbons and bells. The vacuum looks good as well. It seems to be quite large. Your pastel sketch reminds me that I haven't used pastels for years.
Joan, the frozen breakwater looks amazing. Beautiful poinsettia sketch and pretty angel.
Nedl - superb sketch. I like the light touch of colours.

#2 nourishing - ginger - carbon pencils (Mars Lumograph black) in A5 sketchbook
1672305387184.jpg

Jo , thanks for the new list, everything you are posting is wonderful.
yesterday I bought a little book on Baroque art with a newspaper, there are various angels, a couple of very beautiful works for sure, I was undecided whether to try to draw them on my sketchbook and put them here, but it's not from life (but since it's difficult try to copy, study the drawings, or even more the paintings I think can be a good practice), for angel I also have an ornament that they had given to my sister that I think I can draw as well, I had already done it for a hunt for 2 Years ago.

however I will try some drawing and I will put it, happy holidays to all

After getting some grading done... I went out for another section of old town Bangkok, where one of the shop rows will be demolished away for a new subway station ... :cry:

#2 window --- an old era estate home... this home will be safe from the demolition... both the passerby tourists, and the local community came to say hi to me while I sketch ... done by direcwatercolor... then ink on top

h51_oldHouse_a.jpg

h51_oldHouse_b.jpg

#3 useful --- an old camera on display inside "Dialogue Cafe", which will be the portion of the shophouse to be demolished... done by markers

h51_oldCamera_a.jpg

h51_oldCamera_b.jpg

PS. Below was the classic shophouse row that will be demolished very soon to make room for a new subway station...

h51_shophouseRows.jpg

AI, wonderfuljob on everything , good that the house will not be demolished, it is very beautiful , beautiful watercolor

Sylwia - Excellent! Can’t say much else. 👍🏽

Ai - Beautiful. Love the sky. The pen work adds so much detail. Neat old camera. Where do all the people who live in the area go? Do shops move or simply get put out of business

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe, thanks. I have a few friends who sketch a lot with ballpoint pens and I am amazed at the shading they get. I try once in a while.

Sylwia, thank you. Great job on showing the rounded sides and texture of the ginger.

Joe 1, Happy Holidays. You should definitely sketch the angel ornament!

Ai, I love the sketch of the old estate house. Nicely done. Too bad the bottom of it is hidden behind the wall. I'll bet it is interesting architecture. Fun sketch of the old fashioned camera. Glad I don't have to lug that around to take photos. Just think...it was replaced by a mobile phone.

Thanks so much Joe, Joe1, and Joan. Some business owners inside the shophouses do not yet know of the new place they will relocate their business to... However, one bookshop owner has already known where his new location will be ... still in another part of another old town area of Bangkok.

Last edited:
#1 Angel - Pastel pencils. Need to work more on blending to get colors closer. Drawing is about 4 x 2 inches on gray toned paper. Did this as warm up before working on course.
A6AD188F-D9EF-4705-828C-0DAF9EFA9FA1.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Hi there, you have been busy.

Thanks on the vacuum. I got a comment from my blog that it looked like a mummified Martian. Ha.

Joan, I like your angel. Nice contrast with graphite. The poinsettia is amazing with ball point pen. Mmmmm good.

Sylwia, I like the ginger. I often think it is interesting to draw and then don't. Ha. Nice shadows.

joe1lt, looking forward to your angels. Practice is always good.

Ai, such a lovely building. Happy New Year to you as well. You are good at capturing history. It is hard to give up the "old". The camera is amazing. I forwarded that on to our photographer son, Larry.

Joe, what a sweet angel! Fun to see your work in pastel. Love it. I want to do the poinsettia in pastel, we shall see.

I sketched out on the porch, can you believe it? It was about 70 degrees F this morning.
Number 5, holly - we have youpon here, I understand it is a holly type bush. None near our house have berries, I think the berry bush is female. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with Micron 02 and watercolor.

csshfl51holly.jpg

csphoto-youpon.jpg

Hi All,

I got out in the rain and sketched a bit today from my 4WD studio, will post them later on.

Joe -- of course you're right I did rotate the portrait sketchbook :) Maybe more than I used it normally. Oh, yay! pastel pencils! I don't see any reason why the colors should match better... I like the colors in your pastel sketch!

Jo -- nice vacuum! I'm not going to feel guilty because I've used ours quite a bit lately! Nice colors in the youpon and I like how you left the branch white. The shading in the leaves is great.

Joan -- nice angel and poinsettia. Agree with Joe, I'm impressed with the variation in shading using a ball point pen.

Sylwia -- well done on the ginger, it has nice sense of depth.

Joe1 -- Hi! Happy holidays to you!

Ai -- Wow, the "Happy New Year" one is great! Love the sky and way the picture fits in its wavy "frame".. it's a nice composition.
I have a camera here that's sort of like that ( not quite as big, and only about 100 years old ).. sometime I will try to draw it. My other hobby is old-fashioned photography and printing. Composition for photography and wishing I could draw is what got me interested in drawing. Now I'm interested in all kinds of artwork from life for its own sake :)

I drew this from my jeep while hoping the rain would stop so I could go on a hike. When this was just ink, it gave an impression of a 3-dimensional tangle of brambles. When I added the color, it made the vines come to the front and flatten and now it looks like they are in one plane, like growing against a wall. It's amazing how much the impression it gives changed. The color also makes it seem more "simplified"... and the ink seemed more chaotic and jumbled. I think those flat colors in the background kind of messed it up.... oh well!

#2 tangled
IMG_1363rs.jpg

On the way to the park where the hiking trails are, I noticed this gazebo in a city park as I was driving by, and I thought "An octagon! :eek::eek: oh wow!", so I stopped and drew it.

#3 octagon
IMG_1364rs.jpg

both in the new pocket sketchbook.

#4 zen ... the Macaroni Club and Hotel middle garden courtyard
h51_green1.jpg

#5 sub. angel with three fake pandas ...as angel uplifts my spirit just like seeing these fake pandas on bamboo wall in a nice garden after walking through the old town called Khao San road. Before Khao San road used to be a cool hip hop art and souvanir shops to tourists and Thais... now more than 90% of those shops have turned itself into bars, pubs, and hostels for tourists... what a pity. Today at least I feel OK with this hotel with a nice open area with zen garden and a small man-made waterfall and some cute fake pandas on the wall.
h51_green2.jpg

Here is the pic. of my sketches and the real place ... pardon my face...

h51_green3.jpg

Last edited:
All: Thank you for your kind words.

Joan: Wonderful poinsettia, and sweet angel for the holiday. The ice picture is awesome. I'm so glad that you are safe from chaos triggered by the super cold storm.
Joe: I love your super sweet cute angel... perfect for our holiday greeting.
Jo: Lovely leaves and vacuum and youpon/holly.
Joe1: super cute cake ....
Sylwia: Wow... lovely gingers and stacked dishes... fantastic shadow contrast on them.
Ned: Thanks...For my sketch curving corner frame, I trace some pencil lines around the corner of my watercolor palette, to make a round corner frames of my art. ... Wonderful tangled plants and fantastic octagon... I'm glad our Hunt let you experience more of art from life ... I feel the same.

h51_curveCornerFrame.jpg

Last edited:
Back