Scavenger Hunt #91: Nov 10 - Nov 18

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #91: Nov 10 - Nov 18

apple
book
chair
dented
electric
funnel
green
hard
indigo
jelly
kimono
lunch
mechanical
non-mechanical
ordinary
pumpkin
quarter
ruffle
stair
three
upscale
vegetable
window
xylophone
yellow
zesty

Challenge, hold the item in your hand.
Feel free to substitute or associate. If you want to do 26 apples you are welcome to do so, we just like to see sketches from life.

Hope to participate a bit more this Hunt. God willing and the Creek don’t rise.

Keep sketching
Fletch.

Hi, Fletch!

1 - pumpkins - watercolors and ink

IMG_3966.jpeg

Thanks Jo,Joan,wonderful job.
1)26 Apple, no, only 3.digital draw
I wanted to learn a little about digital drawing and doing something from life, and I remembered the apple in the kitchen.
after the gray ones I wanted to try as usual but when I try differently it's harder to remember how I felt before.

2023-11-10 23-28.jpeg
2023-11-11 00-17.jpeg

Hi everyone!

Wow, Joan, a great conglomeration of pumpkins! Love the richness and design.

joe1lt, I don't think one idea is better than the other just different. I like the contrasts in the gray ones, very brush like marks. The hatching on the blue one is just so good and strong. Each is the best in its own way. I'm smiling at wonderful apples!

Joe 1, I like the contrast and the marks and blending in the black and white ones. Nice!!

Jo, thank you. I like the odd pumpkins with all the bumps. They are very different.

JoC — Fun! Alphabits!!! Thanks for a cool list 😎

Joan About her pearl watercolors, Joan said, "...sometimes I go into the city and sketch a church with some gold tones in the dome or in the altar. It should work nicely for that." Great idea!!! 😊🙏
Superb painting of the pumpkins, zowie!!! Weird and wildly wonderful 😃😍

Joe/Fletch About life, Joe/Fletch said, "God willing and the Creek don’t rise." 😄🙏

Joe1lt — Wow, all 3 apples are wonderfully shaped, with their own unique stories to tell. Looking again, I like the moodiness of the black apple, the serenity of the white apple, and the space-time-gravity nature of the blue apple. Taken together, they sum up existence... well done!!! 🌟

Last edited:
Joan, thanks. Maybe your road is a golf cart path? That would suit me. Nicely done on the sketch.

Jo, thanks. I like your hand holding the mechanical and non-mechanical pencil. Good thinking.

Joan - Wow pumpkins are terrific! Your fall trees almost make me want to move back north 😎 The hand holding beans looks like pen and watercolor! Both digitals are fantastic.

Joe1 - Like all three but for. different reasons but think the ink version would pop more on tan or white paper.

Jo - Your hatching is great! The jar and the hand with pen and pencils. Textbook!

Keep sketching
Fletch

Back