Scavenger Hunt #104: Feb 21-29

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt from Life # 104: Feb 21 - Feb 29

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Open
Closed
Person
Animal
Liquid
Solid
From nature
A fence or enclosure
Whole
Pieces
Used for safety
Used for fun
Used for your health
Used for your art
Used for travel
Inside a drawer
In a package
Favorite snack
Healthy snack
Soft item
Tool
Vehicle
Something with wheels
Something heavy
Something made of metal
Something made of natural elements

Challenge: Create a still life with 3 or more of the items.

Did a few small sketches today.

1 - animal - pencil

IMG_4664.jpeg

2 - fence - direct watercolor
3 - from nature (trees and bushes)

IMG_4662.jpeg

4 - vehicle - watercolor and ink
IMG_4665.jpeg

Fantastic start of this Hunt, Joan. :) Hope you have a good cough recovery too. Lovely bird, car, and fence with beautiful trees.

Joan, thanks for the Hunt! I love the VW Bug. The bird looks determined. I like your direct watercolor, I've only tried that a couple of times and didn't do well. Ha.

Hi there Ai!

Ai, thanks. The antibiotics have made a big difference.

Jo, my first car was a bug, so I'm partial to them. lol The direct watercolor involves a lot of planning. It is easier usually to just sketch it out first.

Joan, your heavy tree is excellent along with the house! The person with quick likes is so good.

I sketched at the eye doctor's. Gene got new glasses, eyes doing well. In the Canson travel sketchbook with the Acurite 3
Number 1 used for your health - eyeglasses on the clear plastic wall shelves, appeared to be the expensive frames. One had $1100 on it. On the third shelf down on right is a little planter wearing glasses.

csshfl104health.jpg

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Open
Closed
Person
Animal
Liquid
Solid
From nature
A fence or enclosure
Whole
Pieces
Used for safety
Used for fun
Used for your health
Used for your art
Used for travel
Inside a drawer
In a package
Favorite snack
Healthy snack
Soft item
Tool
Vehicle
Something with wheels
Something heavy
Something made of metal
Something made of natural elements

Challenge: Create a still life with 3 or more of the items.
Animal: 2 parrots playing on my Verandah rail. Abstract. Pencil on sketch paper, A4 ish.

So happy to sketch, photograph and upload. All in one day.
1000003763-02.jpeg

Thanks, Jo. I was hoping to sketch the counter where the woman was standing, but we were called into another room too quickly and that one wasn't conducive to sketching. I like the assortment of glasses to pick from but I can't imagine spending $1100 on a pair. lol You did a good job on the shelf of glasses. Glad Gene's eyes are doing better.

Ai, nice sketch of the person at the hoodshop.

JennieJo, I love that you abstracted the parrots. Cool! Glad you were able to sketch, photograph, and upload all in one day. I can do that easily...it's remembering to hit the "post reply" tab that slows me down far too often. I wrote and set this up last night and just noticed this morning that I never posted it. lol

7 - used for safety (train crossing gate) - watercolors and ink
IMG_4673.jpeg

Hi, Ai, Fun sketch of the foodshop person. I like the color. Of course!

JennieJo, the parrot is cool. Even abstract it is a beautifully colored parrot. A favorite now of yours for me. Fun to see them. We lived in Bolivia and would go to Santa Cruz and their were loose parrots at the hotel on the patios. Some were onery....

Joan, clever find for safety. That is wonderful and has so many details. Wow.

Hi, Ai, Fun sketch of the foodshop person. I like the color. Of course!

JennieJo, the parrot is cool. Even abstract it is a beautifully colored parrot. A favorite now of yours for me. Fun to see them. We lived in Bolivia and would go to Santa Cruz and their were loose parrots at the hotel on the patios. Some were onery....

Joan, clever find for safety. That is wonderful and has so many details. Wow.
Thanks Jo. I said playing, but was being a bit generous to them. They can look aggressive as they sort themselves out into their pecking order.

JennieJo, I can just imagine them aggressively playing on the railing.

8 - made of metal (flagpole) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4674.jpeg

9 - used for travel (travel alarm) - Sketch & Wash pencil (dry)l & regular pencil

IMG_4677.jpeg

10 - used for my health (my meds for my bronchitis) - watercolor & pencil

IMG_4679.jpeg

I went into the city today to meet with the NYC Urban Sketchers. Our location was "The Forum" at Columbia University. The Forum is located on the corner of 125th St and Broadway, and it is a huge street level space filled with tables and chairs. It is open to the public. Since it has all glass walls the views are really interesting. You can sit inside (a good thing because it was freezing today) and see the space under the #1 train which is elevated at 125th Street. We had a great day there!

11 - solid (buildings) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4685.jpeg

12 - used for my art (space inside & outside The Forum) - watercolors and brush pen

IMG_4686.jpeg

13 - pieces (of the train trestle and station on top at 125th St) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4683.jpeg

Joan, I really like the sea gull, I like "quick impression" sketches like that, it has character! The reflections of the tree limbs in the VW bug are great. Like the direct watercolor too, that one has a more abstract look to it. Like Jo, I want to try some more of that... my first tries did not go well at all... Wow, you've been busy, I hope that means you're feeling a lot better. The tree and house are great the house is probably pretty heavy too :) I'm kind of amazed how much comes through with a "contour" drawing of the person... Nice job on the railroad crossing, it makes me want to go back and try one near me again, that was fun to try to draw. Of the next three I really like the medicines, I like the way the watercolors look on that. The last three are all great but the colors under the bridge really caught my eye, made a striking pattern with the tea/blue.

Jo -- The shelves with glasses is a nice sketch. Yikes! I just get whatever frames are covered by my vision coverage... reminds me uhat I'm due for a checkup.

Ai -- wow that's really good. You captured a lot with a few lines and simple-looking colors ( I know it's not simple! )

JennieJo -- The colors are great but I particularly like those smooth confident lines.

I did a few sketches while on my fishing trip... I'll be back in a little bit to post a couple of them.

Sorry am not here but my son is visiting. They leave Wednesday so may be next hunt.

Lots of creativity going on! Keep it up!

Hi Fletch! we were typing at the same time :)

#1 liquid -- Smith River ( where I ate my lunch, of course!! )
IMG_1850rs.jpg

and a photo:
IMG_1846rs.jpg

and I think I have to show you a different photo because that does not do the Smith River justice... it's a very beautiful river.
I caught a very nice steelhead yesterday morning right here:
20240224_112949rs.jpg

Sunset at Battery Point in Crescent City, California.
#2 for safety ( the lighthouse ):
IMG_1849rs.jpg

and a photo:
IMG_1847rs.jpg

Last edited:
Ned, thanks so much for your thoughtful comments on all my sketches. Nice sketch of the river. Your squiggly lines and different tones of the color of the water shows the depth really well. Glad to hear you caught a steelhead trout in that great spot. Love the lighthouse sketch. The looseness of it makes it look so special. I love seeing the beautiful photos of the area.

Fletch, thanks for stopping in. I start to worry when people are missing. Glad you have a good reason. Enjoy the rest of your time with your visiting son.

Joan: Wow... Super nice space for you to sketch in comfort..Many beautiful scenes you captured and you made the medicine bottles so pretty.

NedL: Thanks...Lovely nature scene you have captured.
JO & Fletch: Thanks and hello.

JennyJo: Wonderful happy sketches.

Tone and I went out for a nice holiday brunch... The food were so good that I cant do watercolor on them, just a quick penwork and then eat !!!
#2 liquid -- hot chocolatte
#3 soft -- mash mellows
#4 favorite snack -- food plate

20240226_093412.jpg

20240226_093353.jpg

Back