Scavenger Hunt #104: Feb 21-29

Ai, thank you for your comments. Love the sketch of the hot chocolate and the brunch plate. I don't blame you for just getting the sketch done. I have a hard time waiting to start eating if I'm sketching my food. That's why I do it so rarely. lol

Joan, love your made of metal flag pole, interesting club with the lighthouse and anchor. Wow. Your alarm is an antique, almost all use their phone now. Medicine bottles so cool. Your trip to the city sketches are excellent. The buildings feel big and solid. The sketchers and their equipment and the huge plant is fun. Oh my on the train trestle. Amazing.

Hi Ned, thanks. Gene's $200 frames ended up at $550 with the non scratch, bifocals, etc. Crazy expensive. Your river sketch is so fine with the bit of color. Lovely photos. Beautiful area. Fish sounds good. I'm hungry now. Awww, lovin' the lighthouse sketch.

Ai, I understand about the food. Looks delicious and love your sketch. The chocolate made me smile. Smiles are contagious.

No sketching. Sigh.....

I sketched for double duty. Homework for color vibrations in my pastel class and sketch for here. About 1.5 hours this morning.
Number 2 from nature - geraniums in pot

csshfl104from-nature.jpg

Pastel on wiped off LuxArchival paper, 3rd wipe. Mixed pastels.

Jo, thanks so much. It felt good to be back in the city sketching...and with the group. We had 35 people show up this week and quite a few were friends I hadn't seen in a while, so it was nice to be able to catch up with them. Love the geranium in the pot! Wonderful colors especially the variety of the greens. Whoo-hoo! Is that the same geranium plant that looked like it was on its last legs the last time you sketched it, or is this a new one?

Joan, thanks. A new geranium from our grocery, H.E.B., Texas Roots. The temporary pot, it will need transplanting. Maybe we are past freezing. 80 something today, but will be in the 40s the next couple of nights.

Ned, great rocks. You have some good varied shapes. I tend to make the bottom of an egg carton if I'm not careful for my rocks.

Ai, wow, such a beautiful tree, of course the blue is more special. I'm smiling with all of you guys.

Jo: Thanks so much ... lol, actually the flower tree is more toward purple... but my super mini limited palette, only contain one red, without arizarin crimson... so I cannot do a proper blue purple and of course I like blue too... so it was done in blue ...hahaha... pardon me.

Lovely, rich sketches And beeeeUteeful photos!:)
I snatched these sketches at the social secpurity office. I am having to move back to my trailer. Left with three cats and returning with four cats, two dogs and a bunny. Started back at previous employment. Hope to get settled mostly in two weeks. Meanwhile…lets keep sketching

closed door
people
metal water fountains
IMG_2320.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg

Ned, I always admire your sketches of the rugged rocks on the beach out there. Nicely done!

Ai, nice shape to the tree and I love the blues in the foliage.

Jo, our friend in Itasca posted his thermometer at 89 yesterday and Jerry said he hear it was going to be 90 in Dallas. Hope it isn't too bad by you. I like that geranium in the Texas pot, but I know it has to be transplanted into a larger one.

Robin, waiting room sketching always helps pass the time. I like all your details in the water fountain. I see you grabbed a few people too. Sounds like you're getting things organized.

No new hunt sketches from me....maybe today. It was a fairly nice day yesterday so I was sketching out in nature and nothing fit the hunt.

Ai, lovely whether blue or purple.

Robin, great sketches and hatching. Good finds. Hope you get settled quickly. Blessings sent your way.

Joan, yes warm. Should be 80+ today and tomorrow, already 68. Then Wednesday and Thursday supposed to be a high of 60 or so. Always interesting here. You can always post more than one nature sketch!

14 - used for fun (outdoor seating area that has live music in season) - watercolors and ink (I had lunch there today in addition to sketching outside.)

IMG_4688.jpeg

Ai -- I think they look great in blue!

Robin -- I like your people, the postures look really good! And good job on the water fountains.

Joan -- wow, the colors and detail in that are great. :) I would feel happy if I just drew just one of the plants in front so well :)

Last edited:
#6 nature -- blooming yellow flower trees in our village, 30 min. Done in direct watercolor on a double page sketchbook spread, about 10 inch× 7inch total.

20240228_183130.jpg

20240228_183155.jpg

Joan, yay, Funchos instead of nachos. Sounds good. Love the details, lettering and all of it.

Hey ya Ned!

Ai, the yellow trees are amazing. You have a land of color.

I was so lazy yesterday that I even forgot baseball. The game was at 630 and Joanna sent a text about 730 to ask if we were watching. Yikes! I did fix the geranium a bit, you can see it on my blog. Maybe sketch today. Need to go vote.

Jo: Thank you.

Robin: Thanks... Lovely lines... cool water fountain drink ... Hope you have a smooth transition.

Joan: Thank you ... so good to see your amazing work of Funchos !!!

Ned, thanks. The signs were the fun part! I got to do a skull, a skeleton, and a donkey all in one sketch. lol

Ai, those yellow flowering trees are wonderful! I love them!!! I smiled at all the paintings you've done of them, and at the photos you posted on FB too.

It is a rainy day so I was finally indoors with time to do some of the smaller hunt items.
15 - open - ink
16 - closed

IMG_4693.jpeg
17 - in a package - watercolors and ink

IMG_4698.jpeg
18 - a favorite snack (pecan shortbread cookies) - watercolors

IMG_4694.jpeg
19 - healthy snack - watercolors

IMG_4697.jpeg

Ai -- the yellow flowers direct watercolor is great!

Joan -- "favorite snack" followed "healthy" one made me chuckle. Like them all.

Jo -- I missed the first home weekend when I went fishing, but it just makes me happy that college baseball is going again. Watched my team on TV last night, it's going to be a fun year. There's also a small division 2 college called Sonoma State that's only about a 10 minute drive from my house and I went to a few of their games last year... hoping to go to more now that I'm retired!

It's going to be raining here the next few days, and I think tomorrow I will go to the art store and get another small water brush to fill with much darker ink. It seems like when I try to use real darks, they stand out too much and look odd. I want to learn how to use them rather than shy away... I was thinking about that today, this is as dark as I can get with several layers of my "medium grey" ink wash.

#3b from nature, tree trunks that were in front of me when I stopped to rest on my walk today.
IMG_1854rs.jpg

Last edited:
Joan: Thanks so much. I'll try to look out for blooming flower trees here. Lovely wc of the almond snack bag... nice soft shortbread/cookies... great apple...so clever and well done open & closed.

Ned: Thank you. It is very beautiful. I hope your experiment of loading another watercolor brush with another shade of ink seem exciting. Pls. keep us posted.

Back