Scavenger Hunt from Life #68 May 10 - May May 18, 2023

M50Paull

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life #68

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Tea Kettle
Hair Dryer
Egg Beater
Rocks
Oven Mittens
Art Pencils or line making tool
Dandelions or any lawn weed
Nail clippers
Ottoman or household furniture
Tooth Brush
Tongs
Aquarium
Knife or something sharp
Exhaust fan
Noodle Strainer
River or waterway
Outlet Adapter
Brownish color
Extra Art Supplies
Roses or any flower
Trash can
Fun Hobby
Red Color
Orange Color
Shrubs
Trees

This hunt is brought to you by a famous poem?

Eyepaint you are too good.... This forces me to come up with a different order/selection of items. But finding exactly 26 letter phrases can be difficult for me anyways

Paul, thanks for the new list.

1 - rocks - watercolors
2 - waterway (Long Island Sound)
IMG_2414.jpeg

Joan, I always look forward to your sketches when an item deals with water. I really like Crab Meadow and Riverhead. Lots of juice dark colors. Mmmm.

I continued with the new style and to incorporate it into my own. Don't think I did except maybe on the background. On the same Pastelbord wiped off the apple and pear. Pastels. Probably 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours with breaks in between. One overnight break, I forgot the dandelions. Ha. We have a lot at the moment. Very pretty in the yard.
Number 1, dandelions
Number 2, oven mitten
Number 3, tea kettle sub tea cup
Number 4, red - spoon rest
Number 5, noodle strainer - colander

csshfl68dandelion.jpg

Joan: Quick start and in typical Joan watercolor style -- amazing - great color
and very ethetic well done rocks and waterway and well done shrubs and trees.
Spring is here great views.

Jo: Great still life combonation love the yellow adn purple combination. Glad you
took the time to include the dandelions. They are starting to show up here now as well.

Jo, thanks! Love your still life with the nice combination of kitchen things and color. The dandelions give it a nice relaxed look.

Paul, thanks for your comment. I'm enjoying the spring colors. Your red oven mitt really stands out with with your other great sketches. Great side view of the nail clipper! Nice lines on all.

5 - flowers - watercolors and ink

IMG_2423.jpeg

Paul - thank you. I do enjoy the challenges :) Oh yay the red oven mitt!

Joan - oooh a rocky shore with a magnolia-like blooming tree. Is that red building a train station? Is that wisteria on that building?

Jo - fabulous pastel still life - lovely cheerful colours :)

I've got some sketches but will photo them tomorrow.

Paul, thanks. I hear dandelions are good to eat. Never have tried, we definitely have enough. I like your Hunt finds. Super perspective on the nail clippers. The oven mitt is fun, I put it on my desktop so I could read it. We always had chess boards and sets. Some from South America with unique pieces. Good memories. No games here really. Gene doesn't play and the kids are all grown. We play cards on holidays but not board games like the "old" days.

Joan, so beautiful on the purple. Is that wisteria? The house across the street has some and it only lasts a couple of weeks it seems. I always think I'm going to paint it and by the time I decide it has withered. Happened again this year. Ha. Thanks for sketching that and thank you for the nice comments.

Hi EP, thanks, see you tomorrow.

Ok, I will touch up my sketches tomorrow... but for now: watercolour, ~ 5x7"

1. Egg Beater - fork
2. Red Color - wc stick
3. Orange Color - wc stick
4. Knife or something sharp - knife
5. Tongs - tongs
6. Outlet Adapter - sub with an adapter - USB to ??? for keyboards or similar?
7. Nail clippers - nail clippers

hunt68-01.jpg

hunt67-01b.jpg

Cheers,

WOW You are all off to a great start! Motivating me to try to get something done today.

Joan - love the brickwork in Riverhead. In Rhode Island we had wisteria bushes down one side of the driveway. The aroma in blossom was amazing and as pretty as the flowers.

Jo - Beautiful pastel as always. Great highlights and shading.

Paul - I am with the others. Great perspective on the nail clippers! But the quote on the mitt should be Food Family and Wine for this group.

EP -Nice composition. Like the monochrome effect. Not sure which looks more vicious the knife or those tongs!

Ai - Painted direct, Simple and effective. BurgRepublic dies not sound very Siamese.

Hope to join in later. Am in a bit of an art funk. Getting nothing done.
Keep sketching
Joe

Paul Re your comment in the last Hunt
Joe: Thanks.... I worked with the Military for 30 years 4 years Active Air Force, 26 years Department of Defense as a civilian.
i did 25 years in the Navy. 13 active and 12 in reserve along with 22 years as a defense contractor.

Joe nice There is a good chance I audited a government contract in you defense contractor facility... So.... in Florida I would on occasion go to Martin Marietta Corp ( now Lockheed), Raytheon, Boeing, and BAE, Northrop(?) we may have even passed somewhere along the line.

Joan: Your recent works are amazing... they show great depth, colors, and brought timeless charm. Love them all.

EP: I love your monotone experiment. You wonderfully inject the "EP-ness" into any approach or style you try.

Paul: Love your mini sketch collection format. They are so cute and giving out cozy feeling.

Jo: I love the glow of your still-life. Your pastels are screaming "Look at my beautiful glow".

Joe: Thanks.

Back