Scavenger Hunt from Life #106: Mar 8 - Mar 16

Ned, love your big rock and ocean sketches. I've only seen that in photos. I went to airline school in Hollywood of all places so saw Santa Monica beach and down toward Catalina. So seeing your world through your eyes is great. Thanks.

JennieJo, your experiment sounds colorful and like the idea of the napkins drying on the lamp!! I have no imagination, only interpret what I can see. I love what you do.

I'm smiling, see all y'all later.

Ned - Art is an artist’s interpretation of what they see or imagine. Love that you jump right in with a pen. The idea of not being able to erase stops me cold. Been doing this as a hobby for about 20 years trying different media and subjects and that is the only thing that causes me to pause…drawing direct in ink. Am enjoying your beach-scapes very much.

Jennie - Nice sketch. Like how you use line to show the textures. Your experiment sounds colorful. Do you have a photo to let us see all the colors?

Keep sketching
Fletch

#1 soft - multiple grades of graphite in A5ish size sketchbook

IMG_2419.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch -- I agree! I started drawing the left rock too big, so this was more "user error" than "the way I see it"! I get a "peaceful feeling" from making these sketches, every sketch is a success that way :) I like the smooth shading in yours and the tissue has good depth!

#2 Trying to decide if this fits new or drab best 😎 multiple grades of graphite in A5ish size sketchbook.

IMG_2420.jpeg

Why do errors seem to pop out when you post? Flattened the front of the ellipse and distorted the curve on the left.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Seems I'm falling behind on the list this time. I've been spending all my time searching for people to sketch. Some people that are participating do people from photos or tv, but I like doing them live since I put a lot of people into my paintings too. It's good practice.

Fletch, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Yay!! Nice softness to the tissues in the box. Good shading on that mug!

Jo, I love the sketch with the stone guard dogs!

Robin, some of the sketches I had to stand to do, but I'm not really comfortable doing that. I tend to drop things. I was sketching in TJ Max and lost the cap to one of my pens. Searched for it but didn't find it.

Ned, bravo for not carrying a pencil any more. I like that sketch of the rocks and water. Looks like that swirly water could pull you right out if you're not careful.

JennyJo, I like your sketch of what you're experimenting with. You made it look very soft.

Hope to post a sketch or two soon...

Why do errors seem to pop out when you post? Flattened the front of the ellipse and distorted the curve on the left.

Honestly, I don't think I'd like the drawing as much if it had a perfect ellipse! I think it looks great.

Fletch, there you are. The tissue box is soooo nice. Love the perspective and soft tissue. Wow. The mug is so good, too. Shading is excellent and form could be that it is handmade. I have a couple like that!

Hi Ned and Joan.

I sketched and watched TV so didn't do well on perspective. Oh well, I did put pen to paper. These are in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03.

Number 4 flag, Number 5 plastic, Number 6 musical and Number 7 with 3 sides.

csshfl106flag.jpg

shfl106musical.jpg

Ned - Art is an artist’s interpretation of what they see or imagine. Love that you jump right in with a pen. The idea of not being able to erase stops me cold. Been doing this as a hobby for about 20 years trying different media and subjects and that is the only thing that causes me to pause…drawing direct in ink. Am enjoying your beach-scapes very much.

Jennie - Nice sketch. Like how you use line to show the textures. Your experiment sounds colorful. Do you have a photo to let us see all the colors?

Keep sketching
Fletch
No, but I can take one.

Joan - You know we would all love to see your people. How about sharing? They will fit as Something. 😇

Jo - Nice line work on all 4 items.

Ai - Rubber ducky is a fun subject. Like the different views. Joe1 does that frequently and always think it is good idea but never do it.😆

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Jo, love the folded flag as well as the lid, the timer, and the musical album. Good sketches.

Ai, your duck looks like the cousin to the 2 ducks I have. I love that you filled the page with sketches of it.

JennieJo, are those going into a collage? They're so colorful!!

11 - something you wear (safety vest) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4805.jpeg

My sketch group was invited to sketch at a place that has assorted setups of old rooms, like this one of the soda shop and the one of the beauty salon. In addition we had 2 models that posed for us. It was a lot of fun!

12 - something with 3 sides (table attached to the wall) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4812.jpeg

13 - something old (old fashioned beauty parlor) - watercolors and ink
14 - someone I've never drawn before (one of our models, Adanna) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4809.jpeg

Jennie - Definitely colorful! WOW Really love to see the final 'experiment'.

Joan - Do all 3 count for people challenge? Love how backgrounds add stories to the people painted,

Taking Sha to get her hair cut so not sure if I will get a chance to draw. 🫰

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch, every person in the sketch counts. lol No matter how much or how little of the person I get done.

Jo, love the folded flag as well as the lid, the timer, and the musical album. Good sketches.

Ai, your duck looks like the cousin to the 2 ducks I have. I love that you filled the page with sketches of it.

JennieJo, are those going into a collage? They're so colorful!!

11 - something you wear (safety vest) - watercolors and ink

View attachment 39447
My sketch group was invited to sketch at a place that has assorted setups of old rooms, like this one of the soda shop and the one of the beauty salon. In addition we had 2 models that posed for us. It was a lot of fun!

12 - something with 3 sides (table attached to the wall) - watercolors and ink

View attachment 39446

13 - something old (old fashioned beauty parlor) - watercolors and ink
14 - someone I've never drawn before (one of our models, Adanna) - watercolors and ink

View attachment 39448
Jo, hadn't thought of that. I'm looking for a reason/purpose for them. Thanks.

Joan: Lovely works... love the service man in high bucket and the lady in the hair baker... I used to follow my mother to her salon when I was young, I even had my hair dried underneath it. So cool.

Jo: Love your line works... you bring out charm in simple things.

Joe: Great graphite works...

Well today we are about to drive Iris to her Thai national college Entrance exam. It will be in about 9 subjects in 3 days... We all nervous about it, especially Iris. Pls. send her good vibe.

JennieJo, I've stained paper for collage before. That's why I asked.

AI, sending lots of good vibes to Iris. That sounds like a lot of subjects. I'm sure she is nervous...and you and Tone too. How far do you have to go for her to take the tests? I'll be thinking of her.

This was done for the 100 people challenge. I miscounted and still have a few more to do tomorrow.

15 - something hot (coffee on my table) - watercolors and ink
16 - something wooden (table)

IMG_4833.jpeg

Back