Scavenger Hunt from Life #66: Apr 24 - May 2, 2023

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #66: Apr 24 - May 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One wheel or no wheel

Two wheels

Three wheels or three legs

Four wheels or more

Unique to your city or town

Unique to your country

Bring you joy

Bring you smile

Get your creativity going

Can’t wait to play with this

Calm you or relax you

Tasty

Related to light

Good to our green earth

Round

Straight

With corners or bumps or odd shapes

Pen (Challenge #1 … your pen collection)

Kitchen tool (Challenge#2 … draw more than one)

Organic thing (Challenge#3 … draw more than one)

"Imagine all the people ..." (Challenge#4 … draw more than one)

Glass

Wood

Metal

Made with paper

Made with fabric

Made with plastic

Challenge#5 … Put some of them as a still-life set up and sketch

We ate at a humble foodshack across Chaophraya River from the ferris wheel of Asiatique mall ... done in directwatercolor

#1 one wheel
20230424_221139.jpg

20230424_184109.jpg

Ai, thanks for providing the new list. I like your ferris wheel behind the buildings. Nicely done!

I went out sketching today and then walked around the shops in the area I was sketching. I found a shop called the North Fork Donut Company (NoFoDoCo). lol I had to go in and was tempted by this Boston creme donut.

1 - tasty - watercolors and ink

IMG_2240.jpeg

3 - round planters - watercolors
4 - glass windows

IMG_2238.jpeg

Joan: Thanks... lol on NoFoDoCo... the donut is so yummy ... you got gorgeous details of the market.

Good list Ai. Had to make som3 changes to mine. Nice ferris wheel.

joan Am with you. Would have gone in just for the name NoFoDoCo! Yummy donut. Copied the planterspicto study your brick texture technique.

keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Challenge # 4 Imagine all the people ( draw more than 1 person) which is also my #4. I have others done but will post when my sketch page is full. Imagine all the people is not on this album. The challenge put the Beatles forefront on my mind sooo.... I drew the album cover Abby Road which has all 4 Beatles. The people sketch is not from life but the album cover is ;)

Will come back to comment later.

BeatleZ.jpg

Ai - thanks for the new list. Oooh Ferris Wheel!
Joan - oooh NoFoDoCo (reminds me of some phrase that helps a person remember names of decimals .... centi milli etc. But it doesn't stick in my head decades after taking the course, lol. ) I thought this looked like a Bostom Creme and indeed from your text I'm right :)
Paul - how fun to do the cover of that Album :)

I've got some sketches. 8x11" on printer paper. Ink, graphite, and highlighter colours added later :)

1. Bring you joy
2. Bring you smile
3. Get your creativity going

hunt66-01.jpg

Cheers,

I remember the math thing - it was kohododicimi (pronounced koh-hoe-dough-dye-sy-my) for Kilo-, Hecto-, Deco-, Deci-, Centi-, Milli-
Yay for remembering math!

Ai: Quick start.... neat find for one wheel very festive well done.

Joan: You have will power that Boston Cream donut looks deliscious.
That really does look tasty! Nice find with round planters and glass. Still think
you should have bought the donu.. All well done love the brick work

Joe
: Thanks...

Eyepaint: Thanks. Well done sketch of guitar. Great color of blue! That is a very difficult mnemonic.
I have tried using mnemonics but often forget the catch phrase

Ai, thanks for the beautiful and nice list.

AI,Joan,EP,Paul, wonderful start, beautiful paintings and drawings.

Thanks, Ai, Jo, Joe, for your comments.

Joe, when you see something like NoFoDoCo it does call you to go in. lol

Paul, nice work on that iconic album cover!! Notice, I did take two bites of that donut before I sketched it. I swear it was big enough for several people to share. lol

EP, nice sketches of parts of your guitar. I don't remember that way of learning metrics...maybe because we don't really use them. Even after trying to teach them to my students, they still mix me up. lol

Joe 1, thank you.

5 - wood barn - watercolors and ink

IMG_2256.jpeg

Thanks you all for your kind comment and likes.

EP: Fun cool uke sketches.

Joan: Beautiful barn sketch. You have excel in create depth... I like the little right wing of the main barn building... well done.

Paul: Your people piece is amazing... it is cute but yet has nice 3D effects at the same time... those people looking so real crossing the road.

Ai, I love your find and sketch with the old Ferris wheel.

Joan, what a yummy donut. That is the kind Gene loves. The market sketch is fantastic. I like the brick work, too. The wood barn is so cool.

Paul, clever find for all the people. Applause.

EP, your uke makes me smile. Love the blue. Good memory tool.

Hi Joe, Bghisly, joe1lt and all the rest.

I went for some breakfast tacos. Sketched in the travel sketchbook with the Acurit pen.
Number 1, One wheel - one wheel showing
Number 2, unique to our town - Rena's food truck, excellent food.

csshfl66wheel.jpg

I sketched on the porch in the ArtStreet sketchbook with a Micron 03
Number 3, good for the earth - rain
Number 4, relaxes you - feet on stool to sketch

csshfl66good-earth.jpg

csshfl66relax.jpg

Thanks Jo. Great idea on the one wheel showing... love your rain and wish to stop by at Rena's.

Paul - thank you
joe1lt - thank you
Joan - thank you. Lovely sketch of the building! Including the shadows too! I think I asked you before but didn't remember the answer - what colours do you use for all your greens?
Ai - thank you
Jo - thank you. Another math memory tool was "Bomdas" aka Bodmas aka BEDMAS aka PIMDAS - the order of operations - brackets, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. https://b28mathstutor.co.uk/confused-by-bidmas-try-gema/ Breakfast tacos! Tacos are good at all times of day? That's how I feel about breakfast - pancakes or eggs can be any time of day :)

Ai, thank you.

Jo, the idea of Tex-Mex food has my mouth watering. I like the sign. Glad it is comfortable enough to sit out on the porch and relax while you sketch.

EP, thanks. I have sap green and hookers green on my palette and then I mix in assorted blues or yellows or sometimes sepia.

6 - two wheels - direct watercolor

IMG_2269.jpeg

7 - four wheels - watercolors and ink

IMG_2271.jpeg

Back