Scavenger Hunt from Life #66: Apr 24 - May 2, 2023

I was playing around with Artificial Intelligence web site and offered the following prompt:
"A still life of a kitchen tool, pen and ink, and watercolors, rendered in a 1.6 aspect ratio with warm colors in the style of John Sargent."

This is what it generated..... Ouch! first the aspect ratio I used in my prompt was not used it was actually 1:1, not confident that this in the style of Sargent, and don't think this looks much like water color... but it is a still life which includes kitchen tools. Altogether I received 8 images and this was the best of the 8 to me but the others
were very appealing as well. To me it is definitely designed well. I think this is very, very interesting but scary

KitchenToolsAI.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of pieces of art that made me stop and take a second look. Sorry for absence. Figured I would get something drawn today to get restarted as I am host starting tomorrow.

#1 Pens - grabbed a few drew them. Done in ink than used markers to color In 8.5x5.5 inch sketchbook.

IMG_1661.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Jo - thank you. The pink one is a stainless steel spatula for using in the cast iron pan
Ai - yay motorbike, Yay tubtoyboys :) Heirloom - did Tone play with them when he was young? Mmmm there is something so delicious in your direct watercolour
Joe - yay pens

Trying to get new Hunt posted but getting a “server error problem” message

Tried to post a help request in the Tech Discussions but it seems to have vanished. Anyone able to remove the extra post i would greatly appreciate it.

Kept getting ”server error. Try again.” message. After a few tries thought would try waiting but see 4 of my efforts got posted. Any and all help really will be appreciated!

Jor

Last edited:
Thanks so much EP: Yes, those tubtoys were Tone's...we brought them with us from the US.

EP, thanks. I like your rainbow of pens!!! Yay! Good collection of kitchen tools.

Jo, thanks. I went out even though it was raining. I had to attend a wake that I knew was going to be very crowded, so I got there early and sat in my car and sketched.

Ai, nice vehicles with wheels. I love your sub for people. :) How fun that they were Tones. I like your collection of pens. What kind is the bottom one?

Paul, the AI scares me too. It is much too easy to get music, visual arts, and writing without a human being involved.

Joe, good sketches of your pens. Do you have a favorite?

13 - straight sides to the red train car - watercolors and ink
14 - metal train cars

IMG_2300.jpeg

Joan: Thanks... Gorgeous train sketch. Beside colors, your lighting effects are top-notch...as I can feel the bright sunshine bouncing off the side of the train. Beautiful pen tool set and kitchen tool set too. BTW, my bottom pen is 2-end Zig calligraphy pen (I got from our late Kivrin).

20230502_100945.jpg

Last edited:
joe: Those are a cool set of pens... nice sketches of them.

Paul: Nice sketches of your kitchen tools. Yes, the generative-AI does sound scary, esp. in art. I have a Thai friend making digital arts for sale on etsy. Half her time is already wasted on trying to report people who steal her digi creations and resell as their own... now my friend has to try to be a step or two above AI... eek !!!

EP: Cool sets of your pens and kitchen tools.

I think that artificial intelligence for the arts should be regulated, that they shouldn't train artificial intelligence without the permission of the original authors and also using sensitive data.
I think writing and art will come out badly over the years and I'm sorry,
I think that things like drawing could have many benefits and uses, both as a hobby and as a business, but in a few years these skills will be abandoned or neglected, as well as people, to limit ourselves to learning how to give input to the machine. (if I had known about artificial intelligence in the arts 10 years ago I don't think I would have been trying to learn to draw for about 10 years, perhaps I would have tried but not as an autodidact or almost always drawing from home, but trying to exploit drawing to see the beauty of the world and learn in some way, as in the forum but in presence)
, you can get results in seconds and at little to no cost.
this makes me feel bad because I thought the journey was more important than the arrival.

Joe: Nice pen sample well done... Agree totally with your AI sentiments... My interest in art started late in life I was 65 at the time.
My initial interest was to develop an activity that could occupy my mind as I became less physically active. I have been drawing for 10 years now and without doubt I am pleased that I did. The mental challenges and frustrations are many but for the few times that I generate something I really like it is well worth it. I am hoping that when I am 95 and lying in a hospital bed unable to do much I am hoping to pick up my pen and draw all the sexy nurses... pretty sad hey

Ai: Thanks and Thanks for hosting... Nice job on pen collection and neat 2-ended pen, well done
kitchen tools... The site I generated that AI image allows people to use everyone else's image and alter it so... not sure anyone
owns any of the images on the site. She is chasing her tail for sure.

Joan: Nice finish with the train yard, well done.

Last edited:
Paul, the beautiful drawings on the pens are from
jmfletch, not mine (though I'd like to)
regarding what you said about your interest in art and your thoughts on this, I am happy that you wrote it and that you draw, I think what you said is right and beautiful, I believe that practicing drawing or painting , plays, trying any form of art is always a winning bet, something that is always worth doing and that I recommend to everyone (drawing, or painting, or ceramics, music, etc., the advice is to see if we like one of these things, and choose the one that interests us the most). then drawing is something I love and I really like, I like looking at the drawings, I liked trying to make them (I liked copying the drawings of the comics I read) and so for me the idea was to go to the drawing and try again also because I was sorry that I had quit in middle school due to a misunderstanding.
of artificial intelligences, I'm sorry above all because over the years it may, for various reasons, dissuade many people from drawing or painting, and I think that would be a bad thing.
for many it is a tool, I think that in some cases it could be but investing in it to replace the tools, for time and prices and for the masses is more of a detriment than an advantage. but it's probably my pessimism and my vision, and that it seems to me something out of control whose effects they haven't imagined or that they don't care.
we are in a time in which they advertise of any kind, but on youtube and instagram they censor even very famous works of art because the algorithm says it is vulgar, obscene, in short, for people there are more and more limits, for machines there is no privacy law therefore this I'm sorry.
I think that music won't be replaced by computers but we see musicians and also because music has copyright laws that don't fit by art.

I said that personally I don't know if I would have chosen to draw again and why I wish I hadn't stopped doing it, I think drawing could perhaps have saved my life if I hadn't stopped doing it or if I had started trying continuously at least, about 3 years before when for about 2 years I was in a city, I believe that drawing also helps to see better, to pay more attention, I was near one of the most beautiful places in the world and I didn't realize it, I didn't complete university for an exam which didn't let me access the last year and all a series of coincidences, accommodation, missing data programming, above all my mistakes, I made a mistake and could have done better, but really with a little attention or luck it was enough that I didn't put the place that I chose as first but as third, as everyone did except me, the same thing I could have done in places that were all really better, close to the metro and they didn't all happen a series of strange coincidences, for example if I drew I would have carefully checked which of the various principals to choose, maybe I would have believed more in myself. I tried to do my best anyway but a mess,
drawing wouldn't hit anything but I stopped drawing in middle school because we had a drawing teacher once a week, one day he assigned us to draw comics and my assignment was thrown away saying that I hadn't done it, and also in my last university experience after a good grade, it was oral then accusations of recommendation, now the world is turned upside down by technology, there is no longer any cheating or cheating for things that maybe are a little bit so, and I let my life be conditioned both by mistakes but also when really I had only tried to make the best of it. I know I'm less than a grain of sand, but having resumed drawing helps to make me relive the pain and bitterness both for my mistakes and for unfortunate moments, for strange coincidences.

Joe1Lt: Woops sorry I mixed up my Joes. Thanks for sharing your story. You have had some tough times and I agree with
your views. Art helps me stay in the moment and is my best way to get away
from the chaos and confusion. The longer I can live in the moment the better
I feel and appreciate the finer things of life. That small blade of grass, that beautiful
flower pedal, all the small details helps me appreciate just living.

Ai, thanks. I like your kitchen tools. Kivrin would be pleased to know her materials are still in use.

Like most of you sketching and making art is a love and I just need to express it. Having AI available probably won't affect me much because I would sketch anyway. I feel sorry for the many people that it will discourage from expressing their artistic voice. Many of my friends who use art in their professions are seriously worried about how it will affect their livelihood. Like Paul said, creating art makes us appreciate things and living. Before creating art so much I never appreciated the shape of ordinary things, the light or the shadows. Now sometimes I'm just in awe of what I see.

Joe - sorry that you had technical difficulties.
Ai - amazing that Tone's mom kept those items for so many years! Love your kitchen tools in direct watercolour. What colours do you use for shadows? And thank you.
Joan - thank you. They were fun to line up and draw. Oooh red train car!

I, like many of you, enjoy the process of making art - slowing down, sensory aspects of pencil, paint, brush, water, etc. I like what Joan says: " I feel sorry for the many people that it will discourage from expressing their artistic voice." I meet many people who think about so many things, what's the point ... (of knitting, of sewing, of painting, of making music) since you can just buy items. Yes, you can buy items, but some people are process people and it's a little bit sad there are people who don't understand that.

See you in the next hunt.

Oh no! Got a hard week and couldn't Enter here. So I will just put the sketches. Love you all
#1 something round (my nivea)
#2 Something organic +1 as the "wood" is a dried cactus
#3 pen + collection
#4 made of paper (what the boyfriend is studying right now)
#5 tasty (moules?? In vinegar sauce?? Love them)
#6 relative to light (lamp post in an abandoned Village near me)
IMG_20230501_170425_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230501_170433_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230501_170447_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230501_170500_HDR.jpg

Back