Scavenger Hunt from Life #50 Dec. 17–25. 2022

Sylwia J-D

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. All levels and techniques are welcome.

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colours that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count as more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated, but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #50

green

red

delicious

bottle

Seasonal fruit or vegetable

metal

wood

plastic

overlapping objects

A pair of…

Ornament

hanging

sweet

something you like

tree or trees

glowing

gigantic

tiny

important

fragile

fabric

window

shiny

cold

hot

figure

Hi Everyone!
( I've been sketching trees and beach scenes in my little "5-minute pocket sketchbook" the past couple weeks... but they didn't pop up on the lists! )
I've been "lurking" and enjoying all of your sketches the past few hunts.
Thanks for the list! :)

Hi everyone! I feel like I haven't been sketching much lately between my art show last weekend and trying to finish Christmas shopping this past week. I sketched a few things on my tree.

1 - hanging snowflake ornament - watercolors, ink, Elegant Writer pen
2 - green branches

IMG_1436.jpeg

3 - figure of an angel which is an ornament from my tree - watercolors and ink

IMG_1438 (1).jpeg

Wonderful start Joan. The snowflake ornament looks interesting. Is it made of fabric, paper, or candies?

Hi Everyone!
( I've been sketching trees and beach scenes in my little "5-minute pocket sketchbook" the past couple weeks... but they didn't pop up on the lists! )
Ned, you can always substitute for something or associate like Joe does. Looks like you might find something on this list. Welcome.

Sylwia, thanks for the new list. Looks like fun.

Joan, good for being first. Love the ornaments. The snowflake looks like yarn to me. Your tree always has such interesting ornaments. Clever finds.

Hi Everyone!
Ned - main thing is drawing from life. Use associations. They can go either way. Start with Hunt suggestion and associate until you get something you can draw from life OR start with what you painted and work back to the list. It takes the ’scavenger’ out but still works as you had to ‘hunt’ for the association. 😎. Then post it and join the fun!

A good motivator to draw from life everyday with a great group encouragin.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joan - Nice work as always. The Angel is adorable. Like the way way you did the tree behind the snowflake. The mind creates the tree from the color and bits of line.

Joe

Thanks Joe! I never thought about "reverse associations" before :)
OK here is the beach scene thingy from today.
#1 Something you like --> I really really like to walk on this beach:

IMG_1334s.jpg

This is ink & wash in my 5.5x8 inch sketchbook, but I've been using my little 3x5 inch pocket sketchbook a lot recently too, especially when I don't have as much time. Usually just pen but sometimes pen and ink wash. I love that I can stick it in my pocket when I walk. I finally started sketching almost every day again in October when I started carrying it on my daily walks.

Here's a snapshot of the same scene. There was nobody but me on the beach today and it was a glorious sunny day. This is one of my favorite places to hike on weekends when I can go for an hour and a half or more.

IMG_1332s.jpg

Ned - Nice painting. Really well done as I am sure I could recognize the spot from the painting. 👍🏽 Always fun to see a photo to go with the art work.

Keep sketching
Joe

Hi @NedL, beautiful place and scenery. Superb sketch. I like how you captured the movement – little waves in water.

Sylwia -- Thanks for the list... gorgeous pair of tangerines

Joan --- Beautiful start of ornament

Ned -- Fantastic shore scape

Ned, your beach scene is great. Lots of action.

Sylwia, the tangerines may be dancing.

Ai, you eat some delicious looking desserts! Mmmm.

I typed the rest of this yesterday and never hit "post reply". Duh.

Here we go, it was hard to sketch this before eating it. Ha.
Number 1, delicious - a toasted waffle with cream cheese and peanut butter with my coffee

csshfl50delicious.jpg

Back