Scavenger Hunt from Life #113: May 3 - May 11

Ned, that eggplant looks delicious. Got me going back to see Joan and Jo’s suggestions. We cross posted. Neat baseball sketches. Well done on the WC plant.

Jo, nice digital sketches. Good action. Personally lost interest in baseball when the Dodgers left Brooklyn but appreciate you capturing the sport in art.

Joan, Marge worked for Liggett & Myers. You have been nailing all those flowering trees. The pencil sketches are great but there is something about your view that just …. Don’t know right word.

Joe1, Bongo, JennieJo, lurkers 👋🏽👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

#5 sub. Foliage with flowers in a vase
#6 narrow ...the middle part of an hour glass

20240506_104315.jpg

20240506_160051.jpg

Ned, so happy you posted your baseball stuff. Excellent. This is the way I was taught to do quick gestures. Forgot I could do it on the phone and then fill in the color. Typical..
cs113gesture.jpg

Your chile pepper sounds great. We ate lots of aji in Peru. I couldn't tell you which ones. Mainly I remember red or yellow?? Lovely plant sketch and color. I'm smiling at the memories.

Fletch, I didn't remember about your sis. That is hard to cope with. Hugs. I went for groceries and forgot the eggplant. Sigh...

Ai, love the flowers and the hour glass is clever!

Hope to sketch, see how the day goes. I have pastel class and workers coming to check and fix smoke alarms.

Ai -- I like the flowers, did you add the ink on top of the WC?

Jo -- those are neat, I'm going to try that! I've been growing peppers for many years and my favorites are from Peru. This is probably the most common red pepper there, so you probably had some :)

Getting back to retirement normal! :) Nice hike and not worn out. Yay!

Edit: realized after I posted this that I was planning to use ink wash in the sky but forgot :rolleyes:

#2 view where I ate lunch
IMG_1901rs.jpg

photo:
20240506_125519rs.jpg

Last edited:
Jo: Nice baseball gestures...

Ned: Wow... such a great retirement...

Joan & Fletch: Hello.

Joan: Thanks and so many wonderful spring sketches as well as fantastic fun City decoration sketches... Love them.

Ned, that eggplant looks delicious. Got me going back to see Joan and Jo’s suggestions. We cross posted. Neat baseball sketches. Well done on the WC plant.

Jo, nice digital sketches. Good action. Personally lost interest in baseball when the Dodgers left Brooklyn but appreciate you capturing the sport in art.

Joan, Marge worked for Liggett & Myers. You have been nailing all those flowering trees. The pencil sketches are great but there is something about your view that just …. Don’t know right word.

Joe1, Bongo, JennieJo, lurkers 👋🏽👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch
Lurking is a much maligned form of observation. LOL

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Bell
Book
Candle
Appliance
Delights
Gorgeous
Folded
Heavy
Light
Money
Narrow
Open
Tall
Simple
Rugged
Smooth
Tool
View
Foliage
Decoration
Ceramic
Metal
plastic

Last 3 are people, people people
People/person in uniform
People/person relaxing
People/person busy

Challenges
1 use associations but tell us them
2 Use 3 or more hunt items in a composition

Most important..HAVE FUN!
Foliage. Pot plant on my verandah :) Thin, oval pot.
1000005821-01.jpeg

Ai, nice work on the flowers. The hourglass was a clever find.

Jo, they look like scribble sketches but they do capture movement.

Ned, good job on the rocks. Like how you shade them. Color really makes the books pop.

JennieJo, like the loose style on the plant. No offense meant saying lurkers. Just wanted to say Hey to our visual visitors.

Robin, nice sketch and lots of objects captured.

Kerp sketching
Fletch

Ned, thanks. I really liked the locoto or rocoto fresh peppers. They were about lemon size and shaped a bit like a bell pepper. They were my substitute for green chile and jalepeños. I would roast them with a bell pepper to help the flavor. They didn't have much flavor, just lots of hot! I love your lunch spot. It's funny how we forget things in the excitement of the moment. Thanks for the photo, too.

JennieJo, such nice gesture on the pot plant. I like the way the lines show through the color. Same on the books, nice technique. Colorful and makes me smile.

Robin, another smile to see your fun sketch of the break room. You found a few items. I like the sepia shading. Great stuff on the person relaxing. Neat place.

I sketched in the BookFactory sketchbook. Grainy looking with the Lamy pen ink seeping through. I used a Micron 03 and a Pilot ball point pen.
Number 2, tool - a cutter
Number 3, folded - a couple of $1 bills.

cs113tool.jpg

Ned, thanks. From here to the city on the LIRR takes about 1 1/2 hrs or a little more, and it is expensive. I was lucky for a long time because my friend's husband would drive us in quite often and drop us off exactly where we needed to be. Unfortunately NYC just started congestion pricing and will be charging an additional $15 every time you drive below 59th St. Ugh! Great attempts to sketch the ball players. That isn't easy. A lot of the time when I sketch people they are a composite of several people who move into view...unless they are sitting still for a while and that makes it easier. Hope your Peruvian chili peppers do well! Love the sketch of the big, rugged rocks. We have nothing like that here. Our rocks are either rounded or much flatter.

Fletch, thanks! I think the pink trees are nearly at their end here...maybe I'll find one or two yet. lol

Ai, I like your flowers and the hour glass too. Good job!

Jo, I like your way of capturing figures. I never thought of doing them that way...but it makes a lot of sense. Nice work on the money...details that aren't specific. We need a pizza for that cutter. :)

Jennie-Jo, I like your plant and the close, colorful bookshelf!

Robin, your collection of sketches really made me smile. I love the quirkiness of them and the energy you give them. That kitchen counter is divine, and so are those chairs!!

We had a beautiful day here...with a high of about 75 degrees. My car headed straight to the beach...especially since they are forecasting rain for the next few days.

15 - people relaxing - watercolors and ink

IMG_5194.jpeg

16 - light - watercolors

IMG_5197.jpeg

Ai, nice work on the flowers. The hourglass was a clever find.

Jo, they look like scribble sketches but they do capture movement.

Ned, good job on the rocks. Like how you shade them. Color really makes the books pop.

JennieJo, like the loose style on the plant. No offense meant saying lurkers. Just wanted to say Hey to our visual visitors.

Robin, nice sketch and lots of objects captured.

Kerp sketching
Fletch
No problem Fletch, it takes a lot to offend me. You didn't even get close. I often do the sketches, but posting is another whole step, when I could be sketching :)

Ned, thanks. I really liked the locoto or rocoto fresh peppers. They were about lemon size and shaped a bit like a bell pepper. They were my substitute for green chile and jalepeños. I would roast them with a bell pepper to help the flavor. They didn't have much flavor, just lots of hot! I love your lunch spot. It's funny how we forget things in the excitement of the moment. Thanks for the photo, too.

JennieJo, such nice gesture on the pot plant. I like the way the lines show through the color. Same on the books, nice technique. Colorful and makes me smile.

Robin, another smile to see your fun sketch of the break room. You found a few items. I like the sepia shading. Great stuff on the person relaxing. Neat place.

I sketched in the BookFactory sketchbook. Grainy looking with the Lamy pen ink seeping through. I used a Micron 03 and a Pilot ball point pen.
Number 2, tool - a cutter
Number 3, folded - a couple of $1 bills.

View attachment 40406
Thanks Jo, it was a sunny morning. Id been watching the plant as the sun rose for a few months. This was the stimulus I needed. So many things to learn this time around. Jo, I have often tried, and failed, to create these types of sketches. They have given me a few new ideas.

Great job everyone: Robin, JennieJo, JoC, NedL, and Joan .... I don't have much ime now to comments today.

Everyone: Thanks for your kind words on my sketches.

Joan: I have to said that sketching a man snoozing on a lounge chair by the beach sure is a super stealth sketch that bringing me a big smiles on my face. Thank you for such bravery and the prompt fun artistic execution... lol.

Jo, Nice pen sketches.

Joan, the people relaxing is nice. The lighthouse and foliage is beautiful.

#1 foliage - A not well cared for spider plant. Very much a sketch not much time or effort. Trying to get the mojo back.

IMG_2530.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Hi everyone, I wanted to say that you are publishing so much beautiful art, I drew something from photos but I didn't draw from life, I'll try in the next few days, I'm not writing or opening the page much because the computer makes noise and sometimes it turns off, write From the computer it's easier for me than from the iPad also because I don't know English and on the PC it's easier to use the translator.

Joan, you capture the folks at the beach so well. You even make me want to be there. Ha. The lighthouse has movement with the birds and the shadows on the greenery push it back. Nice. We would have a hard time with pizza and that cutter. It is for cloth and does not have a deep blade. My drawing is deceptive. LOL

JennieJo, we always figure out something here. Happy we give you new ideas.

Hi Ai, see you soon.

Fletch, oh, good job on the spider plant. They can be tricky to keep tidy. Great perspective on the legs of the holder.

joe1lt, hey there. Thanks for checking in. Hope you can post soon. I have an app on my iPad called Translate. It works well, maybe it came with it?? I think it is a free download.

I sketched on the porch in the BookFactory sketchbook. Decided to do the block with markers and of course they bleed through the paper. Sigh.
Number 4 heavy - cinder block, Number 5 metal - door latch, Number 6 narrow - crack in the door and the narrow boards of the screen door and porch.
csshfl113heavy.jpg

Back