Scavenger Hunt from Life #50 Dec. 17–25. 2022

I thought I was forgetting to hit "post reply" but this didn't post again. It didn't post last night and I had to really play around to get this post to show this morning.

1 green pot
2 wood shelf
3 metal drawers
4 overlapping
5 hanging Eskimo
6 ornament
7 important clock
8 figure art manikin
9 plastic phone
10 a pair of lane posts and a pair of chairs
11 fragile glasses
CF4893F1-CCF1-4B21-8820-43E81706CBC7.jpeg
A733ACC7-C0A8-4EB4-8780-5FB18B485C00.jpeg
48C49B94-DC6C-4B77-88E3-62C796A3E26C.jpeg

I'll post my sketches first, and then return with comments.
8x5" page, ink, and marker
1. green - mug
2. red - on the apple
3. delicious - chocolate treat
4. bottle - of hot sauce
5. metal - tongs
6. wood - clothes peg
7. plastic - chip clip
8. a pair of - homemade wool socks

hunt50-01.jpg

Cheers,

Joan, your comment to Ai (Here they tend to knock things down and replace them with something that looks like everything else.j really hit home Sharon and I just had that conversation Tuesday. There was a section of Charlotte Harbor along the north side of the bay filled with older homes that just oozed history and withstood many hurricane, that was just leveled to build a 5 or 6 story eyesore. The area was so historic looking, not just the houses but the old trees. Now a ”resort” parkinglot and an eyesore replace what use to be a bit of old Florida.

On a more positive note, your painting is so seasonal. Another candidate for next year’s card. Oh Santa was stuffed with Lindt truffles.

Robin - WOW that collection/composition reminds me of the ones Jeanne use to post. Like the hatching on the eye clinic scene.

EP. - And another many item composition! Nicely done I especially like the hatchin* and blending on the bottle an the apple.

keep sketching
joe

Last edited:
Joan - ooh homemade ornament with the peppermint twist candies! Cute little cherub ornament angel. Cool xmas tree lot with the paraphanalia/tools used. Lovely colours in your advent wreath! Your response to Ned about the funny prounciations kids make ... I knew a little guy calling blueberries as "ballooberries" and helicopters as "hellibopters". I had to look up Linser cookies and mmmm yum ... i've had them but didn't know they had a name! So this is another tree lot, hey? Have you seen the videos of dogs confused "mom gets made when I bring a stick in the house ... and now she brings in a whole tree!?"
NedL - oooh I always enjoy the rocks at the beach you go to. Oooh lovely ink and wash trees. Yay tree in the side of the road with bonus cows
Sylwia - oooh lovely orange colours in your pair of tangerines. Yes I think your mug with blue will join Jo's collection :)
Ai - mm the slice of coffee caramel cake (with nuts decorating the top?) oooh tiny items in your palm! Lovely holiday vignette sketch (on the top of your piano?) I didn't know that Tone also taught (at the same school you teach at?) - cool. What a fun building that incorporates the tree.
Jo - way to go refraining from eating the food until you sketched it. I need to sketch on a full stomach :) Brave to go to the grocery store yesterday. I don't want to go anywhere near a mall or grocery store until Feb. But I guess I'll need to visit a grocery store before that date, lol. Cool grinders! When you say that grapefruit is from a place 6 hours drive away I think of how people in Europe have a different expectation for distances - to them 6 hours may be across two countries!
Joe - wow a whole dog fits in a thimble! So small! Is the dog made of polymer clay? So santa with the scroll has candy in his tummy, oh ho ho! And thank you!
Robin - great job on the overlapping and the guy on the solid chair at the Eye Clinic.

EP: Your sketches are happy, colorful, and fun... Your comments are even more merrier and great wit... Yes, those decorating items were on our piano... Yes... Tone and I both teach at the same Univ., he teaches English to Thai students... I teach computer science and do some research.

Joan & Joe: Thank you... agree with many old/classic/vintage/historical have been knocked down for the modern eye sore... this happen here a lot too, esp. in Bangkok. So whenever, I got a chance to be at such old charm place (sketch or not) I will take it.

Joan: Lovely Christmas happy scene. Thank you for your kind words.

Joe: Love your happy Santa... I'm smiling.

Robin: Wow... so soulful and fluid happy lines ... I LOVE that... You and Jo, are my idols of dare to draw... I was too timid... and wish to be more free with my line works. Love the pair of chairs and the gentleman, and the colorful first set... love them all.

Jo: Your making treat cookies ,,, and sketching them ... Wow za... yum ... a perfect Holidays in the making.

NedL: I'll never tired of seeing your sketches of your surrounding area... amazing place to be near.

Sylwia and all: Thanks for your kind support.

AI. Lovely Christmas card. Happy Christmas/holiday time to you too.
The tree growing on the old house looks fantastic. The sketch is very nice.

Nedl, the fallen tree has a very interesting shape. Very nice sketched.

Jo – nice sketch. I'm the only one in our home who like grapefruits.

Joe, cute candy keeper. Looks innocent, like would like to say I don't hide anything.

Superb sketches Robin. I love the portrait.
Eyepaint, it is a very pleasant sketch. I like the colour palette. Nice shadings.

Joan – I like your Christmas themed sketches. Superb details.

Sylwia: Love the glowing flour and sugar sketch ... and the beautiful important thing in your life....

Sylwia - Love the warmth of that painting but now you got me thinking pancakes. Our fav is blueberry pancake. We have a jar of cinnamon and sugar mixed as well but use it on French toast not pancakes.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Keep sketching
Joe

Ai -- your watercolor of that tree and Hong Seing Kong cafe has great character, really like that!

Joe -- thanks! it's a "uniball vision" pen and I have a little ink jar ( about 15ml ) that I filled with water and put about 3 drops of india ink into and apply with a little travel brush. It gets darker if you put on more layers... up to a point. After 4 or 5 layers it doesn't get much darker! I have a second jar that is darker with more india ink but lately it has been getting dark before I'm done with my sketches so I haven't had time to pull out the darker ink ( and it really only adds one darker layer, more than that oesn't do much ). The red Santa is cute and I like that you are using ink more now!

Jo - thanks! Yes darker, I need to figure out a way to do that more quickly than juggling little ink jars in my hand! I know those Texas grapefruit can be sweet. I've got two trees in my yard and here in Northern California they won't be ripe until late summer ( so... they have to ripen on the tree for a year and a half! )

Joan -- thanks! I'm using diluted india ink and a travel brush... I like the idea of a brush pen ... will look into that! That blow-up car with the Christmas tree is funny! That is nicely done and not too busy!

Robin -- wow you got a lot of stuff into one drawing! I like the eye clinic drawing and there's something about the drawing that makes me know what it's like to be waiting there.

EP -- Hi! I really like that apple and the colors in it.

Sylwia -- Ai is right that is glowing! You sure do wonderful things with color.

Yesterday I was still working when it got dark. Today I managed to get out about 40 minutes before the sun set.. I made a quick sketch. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow, right now I'm being called for dinner!

I thought I was forgetting to hit "post reply" but this didn't post again. It didn't post last night and I had to really play around to get this post to show this morning.
I can't believe we both did this on the same day. Sigh...... ha....

Robin, what a great drawing with all the items. I don't think you have painted the hanging Eskimo brefore. Such a fun bunch of "stuff". The clinic chairs and folks waiting is so good. Very expressive lines and hatching.

EP, lve seeing all your colorful items together. I always forget about clothes pens for wood. Did you make the socks? I like the green cup, don't have many things in green. Thanks. Your comments always make me smile.

Joe, hey there. I do miss the old places too, hardly any windmills around anymore.

Ai thanks, fun to see your comments, too.

Sylwia, the yellow and brown make the flour and sugar look so warm and welcoming.

Ned, amazing how we run out of time. We went out this morning to grab a few things. The temp went from 55º F down to 30 in the time we were gone. We expect to be in the 20s tomorrow and Saturday most of the day. It is very very unusual here.

We made tamales this afternoon and played Telefunken, a progressive rummy game. Oh and drank some margaritas. See what the freeze brings......

Today I went out sketching with some friends from BangkokSketcher group at the old palace of King's Taksin, and a nearby shrine which honor King's Taksin in his blue hat roof shape. All sketches done in directwatercolor in a folding stripe of Fabriano watercolor paper size about 5x7 inch.

#5 a pair of ... old palace of King's TakSin in a pair of Chinese style small buildings
#6 wood ... "the green home" ... another corner of King's TakSin's palace ground
#7 trees ... part of "the green home" garden
#8 important ... a blue hat shrine of King's Taksin, the King who helped Thailand or Siam regained our liberty from Burma in over 260 years ago...

h50_pair_a.jpg

h50_pair_b.jpg

h50_green_a.jpg

h50_green_b.jpg

h50_blue_b.jpg

h50_blue.jpg

Attachments

• h50_trees_palace.jpg
    h50_trees_palace.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Wow, so many posts to read through.

Robin, you always have such a fun collection of items. Love the metal drawers with the mannikin on top...and the hanging eskimo. Glad you got to do some people too.

EP, your sketches are always so neatly done. Hope those socks are nice and warm to keep your feet toasty in the cold. I smiled at the "balooberries." Things like that are always funny.

Joe, thanks. I love seeing the character of a community and we lose so much of it to construction "improvements."

Ai, I'm so glad you find so many places with Thai character for us to enjoy! These are great and so colorful.

Sylwia, great job on the bag of flour and the cinnamon sugar mixture. Now I want pancakes to go with it.

Jo, sounds like you had a fun day cooking and playing games. Hope you stay warm down there. I know our friends in Itasca said they were expecting -6 degrees this morning...and he has to go out and feed the animals.

Joe 1, good to see your sketches of the figurines. Hope you are getting ready for the holidays.

I did some cookie baking yesterday which cut into my sketching time during the day, so I sat down and sketched before I headed off to bed last night. My bag of Gold Medal Flour seems to be a constant companion lately. Today is my day to make Polish pirogi to have for dinner tomorrow. It is much easier to do when there is other family around to help. lol

11 - delicious cookies - watercolors and ink
12 - shiny sugar canister

IMG_1473.jpeg

Morning all.

Joe1 - Your sketches of Eeyore and Donald always bring a smile. Thank you for that.

Ai - Once again thanks for letting us share the beauty and history of Thailand. You and Joan keep the desire to learn watercolor alive in me.

Joan - Homemade Linzer Tarts? OMG. Sharon is salivating just looking at the painting. They are her favorite cookies. Whatcar3 the smaller cookie? They look like miniature croissant. They say the true judge of art is making you feel…and this makes me feel hungry so 👍🏽👍🏽

Ned - Thanks for the info on how you do ink shading. Appreciate.

Merry Christmas to all!
Joe

Last edited:
Joe, the smaller cookies are rugelach filled with walnuts, sugar, and raisins...a Jewish recipe. Glad you are enjoying them. For safekeeping I have to put all the cookies I baked in tins on top of my kitchen cabinets. The only way I can get to them is to climb on a ladder, and as much as I would love to have a few I'm not climbing up to get them until I bring them down to wrap up the ones that I'm giving away. Otherwise there wouldn't be any left. I don't make a lot any more, but when I was teaching I started baking Christmas cookies right after Thanksgiving and I made a ton of them. Of course I gave a lot of them to the other teachers. Too bad you're not closer...I'd bring over a treat for Sharon.

Today my project was making pierogi from my mother's recipe. I decided to try and see if I could sketch the process while I was doing it. It isn't easy to sketch when your hands are covered in flour. lol I did get the basic lines done in pencil and then when I was all done cooking I went over it with ink and added watercolor.

13 - something I like - watercolors and ink (with a little flour mixed in) ;)

IMG_1487.jpeg

Joe1 -- I always like to see Eeyore. Merry Christmas to you!

Ai -- all of those direct watercolors are wonderful. So much colorful in Thailand and green and lush.

Joan -- those look yummy.. and the "cookbook illustrations" are great!

I was still working when it got dark again today, but here's the quick one from yesterday.
This is a place called Tomales Bay which is about a 20 minute drive from our house.

#3 cold ( but not nearly as cold as where Jo is right now. Hope you and Gene are ok and warm. )

IMG_1346rs.jpg

That was the last page in the sketchbook and now I get to start another ( yay! ) the new one is "landscape" format which I've never tried before. Here's the scene:

IMG_1342rs.jpg

and I can't resist showing you what the sky looked like a few minutes after this... it was spectacular:

IMG_1344rs.jpg

Merry Christmas to all!

Outstanding sketch joe1lt. I like that your drawings aren't done with-it black colour. Is this digital?

AI – wonderful sketches. The old palace of King TakSin is beautiful. Superb fresh colours.

Joan I like the blue sugar canister. The cookies must be delicious:) Thank you for sharing your Mom's pierogi receipt. I'm positively surprised to see Polish pierogi here. I'm making the version with potatoes and farmer cheese. :)

Nedl - great motive for the last page in your sketchbook. I like to see all the outdoor/plain air sketches.

Back