Scavenger Hunt from Life #112: Apr 25- May 3

NedL

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
  • All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
  • Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
  • You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
  • All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
  • Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
  • Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
  • Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #112: Apr 25 - May 3
Animal
Vegetable
Mineral
Fence or Fencepost
Potato
Tomato
Musical
Candle
Vehicle
Interesting Shadow
Rhythmic or Repeating Pattern
Geometrical
Magenta
Tree(s)
Free Space
Selfie
Person or People
Land
Water
Sky
Building or House
Lamp
Free Space
Boot
Clock
Desk

Substitutions or Associations are welcome!

Love the list. Thanks. I'll be having some sitting this month. I hope I can get some done. Especially shadows. I saw one this morning, if the light is right I'll try it tomorrow.

Ned, thanks for the list. Looks fun and challenging. Love painting red so the tomato caught my eye!

Thanks for the list Ned.... LOL... I thought I remember "Interesting shadow" from Robin, a while back... Thank you Ned for giving me credit.

Ned, thanks for the new list. I have to take photos of what I sketched...maybe in a little while.

1 - magenta flowers - watercolors
2 - tree

IMG_5121.jpeg

Hi friends

Ned thanks for the list

Joan - nice one, looks shimmery . Interesting composition with veg poking out & bordered on both sides

Well, I messed around for a while. Got out my Lamy pen. The ink had dried up in it and the new refill was old. Couldn't get it going well. Number 1, lamp - my lamp with daylight bulbs. They light upwards and reflect from the ceiling. Nice lighting for painting with little shadow. Number 2, interesting shadow - from the shelf and printer with 2 light sources (not my the lamp I sketched)
csshfl112lamp.jpg

csshadow-pic.jpg

Robin, thanks. I thought the two houses added to the composition. Luckily we still have some cherry trees in bloom.

Jo, sorry you had trouble with the Lamy pen. I have an adaptor for mine (all 3 of them) which makes it easier to clean them out if they are having a problem. Nice shadow from the computer. I like your interesting lamp.

I stopped at two different locations to sketch today.
3 - flower (sub for vegetables) - watercolors

IMG_5124.jpeg

The tulip festival was too crowded so I kept driving along the road and came across this view.
4 - vehicle - watercolors
5 - building

IMG_5125.jpeg

JoC the fan sketch has good detail and a nice je n’est pas…..very cool shadow

Joan great sketches, I like the watery wet look… it softens and unites

I was somewhat disappointed with this….. thought I had the fountain pens but it was only ballpoints ….filled in with colored pencil when I got home

Joan, thanks. I'm lazy about replacing the ink and let it dry out. I love your tulip festival cart. Super vehicle and building, too.

Robin, oh, great sketch of the coffee place. Wonderful find on your items. Looks like a comfy place to hang out. Yay!

Lazy day for me. No more sketching.

Joan -- those are great I like the color of that cart/wagon, and the dark between the slats makes it excellent.

Robin -- like the sketch! The ballpoint was fine!

Jo -- those shadows are a challenge! Good job. I have a Lamy that I've used for writing for around 40 years ( refillable "converter" w/ blue ink ) but I haven't used it for drawing. I really like my twsbi eco fountain pen, and it holds lots of ink, but it seems like the uniball roller ball pen is the one I carry around, so it gets used most. It's funny, I didn't like the uniball so much at first, and I always had little "dots" at the ends of my lines, but that never happens any more and I'm very used to it.

I went to a baseball game today, and brought my pocket sketchbook, but didn't get it out.

Sketches done at BaanSusn Bonus Cafe & homestay in another orchard canal zone west side of Bangkok

#1 sub. mineral with a directwatercolor sketch of a Thai food dish
#2 musical...the place hosted a small live band of Thai classical folk music...wc and ink

20240427_112506.jpg

20240427_112335.jpg

20240427_125555.jpg

20240427_122313.jpg

#3 people ...Tone and his batber... only 10 min. as this barber was very quick with his craft.

1714216405045.jpg

Ned, did your team win? The Longhorns are in Oklahoma and lost 9-5. They had 5 errors that led to 5 unearned runs. We might have tied or won. Ha. They had 6 homeruns on Tuesday night. Nice you got to go. I do gesture sketches at the game sometimes.

Ai, the food looks amazing and your sketch is super. I could not do the "whole" fish. Otherwise, yummm. Fun to see, hear and sketch the band. Applause!! Boy, quick haircut for Tone.

I was on the porch so sketched on my iPad with Brushes. Quickly as Gene wanted help to get his trike stuff ready for his ride.
Number 3 fence, post and Number 4 building. That's only a corner of the shed, maybe I'll get a better building when we go out.
csshfl112fencd-post.jpg

Back