Scavenger Hunt from Life #42: Oct 14 - Oct 22

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/page-4

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life #42: Oct 14 - Oct 22 -
Anchor
Bell
Chunk
Denture
Elastic
Flexible
Gaunt
Hollow
Ink
Jam
Knife
Long
Moldable
Nutty
Opaque
Polished
Quirky
Rusty
Silver
Torn
Unusual
View
Worn out
Xoanon **
Yarn
Zappy

** Xoanon is basically a wooden statue.

Feel free to substitute using associations. Just tell us the associations.

Thanks for joining in with jmfletch (Joe)

(I'm posting this for Joe. Hopefully he will get internet and be able to sign in later this week!)

Thanks for this new list - from both of you! ;)

I appreciate the definition of Xoanon, too - I've never heard of this term before as wooden sculpture. Interesting!

WOOT!
Have missed you all and especially missed being inspired by all the great art work. Got internet back this morning. They are still working on the lines so service is slow and cuts out a lot. Hope to get back into daily drawing.🤞🏽

Keep sketching
Joe

I sketched in my studio! In the ArtStreet sketchbook with Micron 02.
Number 1, unusual - pant stretcher
csshfl42unusual.jpg

When you put on a pair of jeans and the waist is tight you can wear them awhile to loosen up. Gene's brother wanted them comfy when he put them on so made this stretcher to put inside the waist and stretch them out before he put them on. Ha.

cspantstretcher.jpg
cspant-stretcher-top.jpg

Jo: Such a cool sketch to start this Hunt... Wow, I have never seen this tool before. I stretch my pants with my own belly !!! :giggle:

I jot this down from our local cafe/foodshop's condiment set.

#1 Quirky ... a pair of hot sauce and tomato sauce bottle..done in i) pencil ii) pen & wash
20221015_122945.jpg

20221015_122804.jpg

Attachments

• 20221015_122945.jpg
    20221015_122945.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 77
#2 sub. Xaonon with small ( possibly wooden ) wall decor items at the same cafe ... done two rounds as perspective confusion arises in my early attempt

20221015_133125.jpg

20221015_133042.jpg

20221015_133011.jpg

Thanks for the new list
Jo - what a cool invention - the pants waist stretcher.
Ai - funky bottles and chairs :)

Joe, thanks for the list (and thanks to Jo for posting it). So glad to see you back with us. Hope all the problems with your internet are fixed soon. Hope you didn't have any major damage from the storm.

Jo, what a clever stretching device!

Ai, what cute sauce bottles! I'm not sure I like the idea of chairs hanging on the walls...could cause some strange problems. lol

1- polished (new car) - ink
2 - long hallway

1014 nissan.jpeg

3 - Ink sketch for Inktober

1014 lands end.jpeg

Thanks for joint hosting—- team work is the way to go

Love the sketches… really cool objects depicted by my favorite artists😋

Looks kinda bizarre to see the rear end of a car filling the end of a hallway, a hand made pants stretcher and vegetable shaped condiment dispenses. Who knows where this will lead🤪

Joan, you always take advantage of any spot to sketch. Nifty car and hall.Your boat is so cool for Inktober.

Thanks, Robin. I love the "man" on the shelf and your phone. Nice find for hollow.

I sketched on the porch with my foot on my stool. In the Ohuhu book with the Blick gray markers. They show through a bit even on that heavy paper.
Number 1, elastic - the edge of my sweats have elastic
Number 2, flexible - my knee and ankle joints
csshfl42elastic.jpg

Jo: Thanks... Very well executed for elastic and flexible both the idea and the drawing.

Robin: Thanks... Love Mr.Maniqin and idea of marker lid for hollow.... nice i-phone case sketch.

Joan: Thanks... So lovely Nissan at garage and the beautiful boat.

Robin, I love that all of us can find quirky things to sketch. I like your flexible wooden model. Nice decorative phone case.

Jo, thanks. Good sketch of the elastic on your sweats and great thinking for flexible...for me it would be semi-flexible. lol

Ai, what fun to have such a teeny, tiny ceramic teapot and cup...that is perfect for a "spot" of tea. You did it nicely.

Back