Scavenger Hunt from Life #86: Oct 1 - Oct 9

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #86-- Oct 1-9
----------------------------------------------
Edibles or drinks (3 kinds)
Vehicle or things that help you go from point-A to point-B (3 kinds)
Signs or Flags (3 things)
Buildings or structures (3 kinds)
Tools (3 kinds)
Have legs (3 things)
Faces or Heads (3 things)
Trees or plants (3 things)
Natures scenes or from natures (3 things)

Feel free to substitute or use a few steps chain of association if you cannot sketch the original item on the list (i.e. vehicle --> have wheels--> circles-->plate... sketch a plate).

I went for a short sketching break at our local temple. There are many mythical statues at this temple. Thai Buddhism temples seem to have a good amount of hinduism influence as Ganesh (Elephant God Statue).

#1 Singha ( mythical lion ) head
#2 Nakara head (mythical snake) ... shown on the top sides of the gate entrance
#3 Ganesh head (elephant God ...Thais believe Ganesh brings blessing for all artists)

1000020688.jpg

1000020684.jpg

1000020687.jpg

1000020685.jpg

1000020691.jpg

1000020692.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, thanks for list…you have great objects for sketching! Nothing as refreshing as short sketching break! love the photos nice sketches

Ai -- thanks for the list. I especially like your Gannesh. Something about his eyebrows makes him look amused :)

Ai, thanks for the new list. You are off to a super start. Thanks for the photos and your clever drawings. A smile for the day!!

Ai — Cool list ☺️ Thank you!
Wow! The statues are amazing - what a great country you live in - it seems you are surrounded by culture and color everywhere you go!!! Thank you for sharing your photos - and your sketches make me happy, with the snake bursting with eager amusement 😂 and the elephant doing a happy dance as well 😍 They're all amazing!

All — I'm under the weather, but hoping to post something a little later.

Thanks you all for kind words.

Joan: Super on the plein air scene. The details on the phonebooth and the van are fantastic. Nice details on flag.

PineCone: Hope you feel better soon.

I started Inktober and the first two days were dream and spider so didn't sketch from life. Hopefully I'll be back sketching from life tomorrow.

Pine Cone, feel better soon.
Joan, amazing sketches. I like the Blue Island scene. Haven't seen a phone booth in ages!! The sign is too cool. Your sunflowers and pumpkins go so well together.

I sketched from another local cafe...many drink stuffs were on display... done in directwatercolor... The red moka pot sketch took too long to be called a sketch ;-)

#4 drink#1 -- a bottle of Thai indy brand of vod--ka..
#5 drink#2 -- a glass cup of matcha tea
#6 drink#3 -- coffee related ..a red moka pot

1000020836.jpg

1000020838.jpg

1000020837.jpg

Last edited:
Joan - lovely sketches….love the van snuggling up to the structure waiting to give service. Neato sign. Always fun to get cool stuff in environ down in a sketch pad for later enjoyment. Nice autumn sketch….

Hi Ned. ep, pine cone, Jo
Gotta go …will return

Ai, oh, love the vodka bottle. The glass mug reminds me of the ones I had. A red coffee maker...mmmm. Good sketches and finds.

Robin you've been busy. Love the tools. Cuffs?? I think any Gene had left were in the fire. Beautiful wild flowers and great job on the sign. Love seeing your hatching and where you took the photos outside.

I sketched for Inktober and the Hunt. In my new Canson drawing sketchbook with the Acurit 03.
Number 1 nature scene doubling as "path" for Inktober- out by the little bridge looking toward another one.
Number 2 structure - an old house downtown
csshfl86naturescene.jpg

csshfl86structure1.jpg

Jo: Thanks... cool details in path+Inktober sketch. Love the victorian details you have capture. Well done. I don't know if I want to official do a prompt ink sketch of Inktober, may be just my daily ink sketches... but not by the prompted list.

Robin: Thanks...great you can do a great deal of variety, flowers, tools, and a special sign. I wonder, what was your use of a handcuff tool ?

Back