Scavenger Hunt from Life #83-Sep 7 - Sep 15

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #83-Sep 7 - Sep 15

cup or mug
favorite sketching tool
something blue
out your window
in a closet
from the bathroom
mailbox
your hand holding one of the items
with wheels
travel
store front
glass
cat
tool
small appliance
something with numbers
something sweet
something savory
something spicy
something with ellipses
landscape
steps or step stool
lamp
shoes
sea shell
under the sink

Challenge for this Hunt:
Substitutes accepted like dog for cat or stuffed animal
Draw an item with your non dominant hand

Have fun!!

Jo: Thanks for the list.

Tone and I took a short break to our park this evening, after knowing that the girls are feeling better.

#1 landscape ... wc and ink

1000019649.jpg

1000019647.jpg

Last edited:
Jo -- thanks for the list, hope to participate at least a little!

Thanks for the new list JoC 😍

Hi everyone 👋

I'm gonna get this out of the way fast. A few of you might remember me from years past, but might not know that I'm now homeless.

My homeless situation will inform sketches, if I continue sketching, so I wanted to get it out of the way, so nobody has to ask.

Also, I'm not under a requirement here to post the exhaustive details that I used to be required to post about each sketch 😅 so hopefully that will be a relief for everybody 😂😊

So here's my 1st-ever sketch on Creative Spark.....

1 - travel - a homeless, abandoned feather I found on the street
...... sketched freehand in the ProCreate app on iPadPro with an Apple Pencil.

I can't even remember how to sketch, it's been so many years. And I have no clue how to approach sketching a feather anyway, so it doesn't matter LOL 😊

But here's a link to some of Marjolein Bastin's beautiful feather sketches......

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/marjolein-bastin-feathers--298996862747424108/

IMG_9746.png

Ai, love your landscape and that you got to take a short break!! Yay!

Pine Cone, thanks for the link and hope your situation improves. The feather is lovely.

I didn't sketch today. Went to the paint and dine but played with a watercolor blob and my imagination so doesn't fit here. No umph for sketching. Ha.

Jo, Ned, PC: Thanks.

Jo: That is OK to have fun with paint and dine... and no sketching for a while.

PineCone: Glad you show us a nice sketch of feather. Hope your situation improve soon. Sending you a good art vibe.

Ai - glad to hear the girls are doing well. Landscape looks like you were able to relax a bit with Tone which is reflected in your art.

Pine Cone - happy To hear from you even if not the best circumstances. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as they have been, I will miss your little essays 😁 The feather is very graceful and delicate.

#1 Mug - An old beer mug. Various grades of graphite and an orange cp in A5 size sketchbook. Not sure if a ber4 mug counts in your collection jo or if it is all coffee mugs. This is a gift I received in 86 when Bears won Super Bowl 20.my proportions are a bit off.🤠
IMG_1950.jpeg
IMG_1951.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Jo, thanks for the new list. Sorry I'm late to the party.

Ai, glad the girls are feeling better. Nice that you captured some people walking at the park.

Pine Cone, I'm sorry about how life seems to be going. Hope your living situation improves soon. I'm glad to see you are still able to create a nice sketch of the graceful feather. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Fletch, nice work on the beer mug. That was a nice gift.

1 - something blue - watercolors and ink
2 - landscape

IMG_3350.jpeg

2 - something with ellipses - silkscreen graphic on T-shirt
..... sketched freehand in the ProCreate app on iPadPro with an Apple Pencil.

.......... 3 cheek ellipses
.......... 3 eye (iris) ellipses
.......... 1 Saturn ellipses
.......... plus 2 bonus partial ellipses (Saturn's rings)

Our Solar System is so very amazing!!! Even though I'm homeless, I'm always at home in our beautiful, unique, wonderful, sublime, fascinating Solar System 😌

Here's one of my fav pics of Saturn, taken by the intrepid Cassini spacecraft (one of my two fav space missions).....

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/17504/saturn-approaching-northern-summer/

I decided that since I'm sketching again, I should try some new things. I don't think I've done much with hard edges and opaque areas, since I love texture so much. But this T-shirt graphic gave me the chance to really give opaque spaces a try, and it was so much fun!!!

NOTE: Downsizing blurred and ruined the gray background, but it doesn't matter except that I want people thinking of using ProCreate to know that it is possible to paint a textured background without blurriness, if desired, when drawing or painting in ProCreate. Unfortunately, extreme downsizing takes a toll.

IMG_9760.jpeg

And here's a smaller version...

IMG_9762.jpeg

And here's a pic of the T-shirt...

IMG_9766.jpeg

Ai — That's good news to know that your girls are feeling better ❤️❤️ It feels so good to be seeing your lovely work again!!! I missed your heartwarming posts so much while I was gone. Lovely trees in the park, beautiful colors, so peaceful...
Thank you, and thanks also for your hope, and for the good art vibe... your words made such a difference and cheered me today. I appreciate them so much ❤️‍🩹😌

Ned👋

Jo — Thank you, and thanks also for the hopeful wishes ❤️‍🩹😌 What is a "paint and dine"? I'd love to see your watercolor blob and imagination results if you would be willing to post them here 🙏

??? — Who is this new guy, this "Fletch", going around and drawing like a master just like Joe, The Graphite Whisperer, used to 😇 ? That's a lovely sketch of the impossibly complex beer mug, wow!
Thank you, and thanks so much for your kind words and prayers and encouragement ❤️‍🩹😌 I'll probably continue prattling away like before, so ignore at will 😁 but at least now it's safe to eliminate the loads of detail I used to have to post in gray below every sketch. Whew, gone 😅

Joan — Thank you, and thanks also for your encouragement and prayers. Your words and your art are uplifting - love the beach scene - active yet calm, colorful yet peaceful... so wonderful to see your work again, a treat for the heart during difficult times ❤️‍🩹😌

Hi, Ai, thanks.

Fletch, Mmmm, beer mugs are mugs! (cups) Yours is practically an antique, at least very collectable. I love your glass, very good.

Joan, you may be late, but beat me! And a perfect blue in the umbrella. Such a happy scene. Love it.

Pine Cone, oh wow! Love all your ellipses. Such a cool shirt and fits with your universe collection. I like the colors, too. The dine and paint is at a restaurant, paint and get a free beer and 15% off your dinner. There are usually about 8-10 painters/sketchers. They have some little canvases and things to paint for a charge if you are not an artist with your own stuff.
Here is the blob sort of minus imagination. I should have gone more abstract. Ha. It started with the big blob of purple and some reddish pink just above that. Sigh. Watercolor in the Ohuhu book.
csshflblob.jpg

And for the "real" sketch in the travel book with the Acurit03 pen at the heart doc's. Good to go for another 6 months.
Number 1 - Lamp

csshfl83lamp.jpg

PineCone: Thank you. Lovely curves and colors in the sketch. Your words mean a lot to me too.

Jo: Thanks. Fantastic flower arrangement sketch and the lamp in a big room. Your perspective of the armchair is superb.

Joan: Thank you. Your lovely sea breeze plein aire has just brighten up my day, big time. !!!

Pine Cone, thanks so much. It is great to see you here posting again!

Jo, it is always fun to see the different sketches you can do at the doctor's office. I always look at the offices and find them so boring! lol

Ai, thank you so much. I'm never sure how much time I'll have to draw in the doctors offices, so the sketches are quick. Mmm, thanks for the cup, I like your shading and ellipses.

Joan, offices are boring. This had that weird slanted partial wall between the chairs and the doorway in the corner. Different for sure. It was painted a shade darker than the other walls. I should have put some color. Ha.

#3 sweet -- Thai mango sticky rice... done with kido poster paints on brown bag paper (scrap from product wrapping)...

h83_sweet.jpg

#4 shells -- done with 2B mechanical pencil... these shell fishes are common seafood in southern Thailand provinces. So I sampled a few of them, and keep the shells for sketching model
#5 ellipse ... a wc pallette ... done with 2B mechanical pencil
#6 travel ... my yellow travel wc set ... done with 2B mechanical pencil

h83_ellipse_shell1.jpg

h83_ellipse_shell2.jpg

h83_ellipse_shell3.jpg

h83_ellipse_shell4.jpg

1000019815.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, wow, you did well on the brown paper! Nice set of colors. The shells are pretty and you captured the curves very nicely. Happy to see your sketches and photos.

I went to get groceries yesterday so decided to find a storefront even though it was hot and I was in a hurry. I wanted to sketch "The Best Little Hair House in Texas" but it is on the wrong side of the street in the middle of the block with no parking across and I would have had to get out and stand in the sun! So I did a couple of the others that aren't as interesting. I'll get the Hair House one of these days.
Number 2 storefront - the Hairport with the statue of Marilyn Monroe out front.
Number2 storefront 2 - Sugarshack
Both in the small sketchbook with Acurit 3 and added watercolor at home. I changed the signs as they were too far away to sketch correctly. The Sugarshack sign is up on the road so changed the strawberry sign to Sugarshack.

csshfl83storefront.jpg

csshfl83storefront2.jpg

And the photos....
csshfl83hairport.jpg

csshfl83sugarshack.jpg

Joan - The water not being a simple wash. People so the picture tells a story. Great grasses but what I love most is the one tent and the grass breaking the frame. 😎

Pine Cone - Great digital. Blurred or not I like the background effect. Definitely a great batch of ellipses. And Joe switched to Fletch as we had a growing number of joe/Jo’s plus I sign my art work fletch so was an easy switch.

Jo - Blob is pretty cool. Nice line work on the lamp and it’s corner. Bastrop has some great interesting shops! Nicely done.

Ai - The curves on your cup remind me of the slopping curves I tried to capture on the candle. You did a lot better with the cup. Nice work on the mango’s
Those shells are pretty. Lots of ellipses on that palette. Handy travel palette. Do you refill it from tubes?

#2 Favorite sketching tool - 2mm lead holder. Multiple grades of graphite (in 2mm holders) in an A5 sketchbook.

IMG_1958.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks for the new list JoC 😍

Hi everyone 👋

I'm gonna get this out of the way fast. A few of you might remember me from years past, but might not know that I'm now homeless.

My homeless situation will inform sketches, if I continue sketching, so I wanted to get it out of the way, so nobody has to ask.

Also, I'm not under a requirement here to post the exhaustive details that I used to be required to post about each sketch 😅 so hopefully that will be a relief for everybody 😂😊

So here's my 1st-ever sketch on Creative Spark.....

1 - travel - a homeless, abandoned feather I found on the street
...... sketched freehand in the ProCreate app on iPadPro with an Apple Pencil.

I can't even remember how to sketch, it's been so many years. And I have no clue how to approach sketching a feather anyway, so it doesn't matter LOL 😊

But here's a link to some of Marjolein Bastin's beautiful feather sketches......

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/marjolein-bastin-feathers--298996862747424108/

View attachment 34201
Pine Cone - yes I do remember you from WC. Sorry to hear you are homeless. Thoughts are with you.

Back