Scavenger Hunt from Life #83-Sep 7 - Sep 15

Ned - Nice to have another smart aleck on board. Thanks for the kind words. Look forward to seeing your sketches and hear your Texas story. My visits to Texas we’re mostly business, working on proposals so all my Texas stories are restaurant related. All trips were to Austin with one to Dallas for a symposium.

Joan - Great detail! They are going to love it. Wanna jump in that little power boat and head to Great South Bay.

Keep sketching
Fletch

We are in our exam week, no lecturing just proctoring some exams and grading exams. So today Tone and I went out for a bit longer lunch break at TaladPlu zone of Bangkok, visiting many temples in a close proximity of each other.

#10 landscape ...at the giant Buddha of PakNam Temple...

1000019978.jpg

1000019942.jpg

#11 sub. a cat with our Thai mythological lion sculpture at KhunChan Temple..the building behind the sculpture is a crematorium.

1000019908.jpg

1000019904.jpg

.We took a break at a cafe with A/C nearby with yummy sweet...plus the shop has a tricycle of the owner's daughter parked nearby...

#12 savory .. croffle with chocco. sauce

1000019895.jpg

1000019896.jpg

Attachments

• 1000019965.jpg
    1000019965.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 12
Joan, Jo, Joe, and Ned: Thank uou.

Joan:Wowza on your commissioned piece. Gorgeous !!!

Ai - my first look at your Buddha painting I liked you added a smile then I looked at the photo and saw the smile on it. I do not think I have ever seen a Buddha with a smile before. Those lions are gorgeous. As are the dragons and decorative edging, what we would call gingerbread, on the building behind. Is there a name for the half man - half lion figure in the foreground? Are the croffles stuffed or just glazed? Yum.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai -- I like the expression on your Buddha better than the real version!

Here are two quick sketches.

Yesterday it was foggy at the beach and I couldn't see any details, so I made this simple kind of sketch:
#1 landscape
IMG_1692rs.jpg

This morning I was waiting at the car dealer for their mechanic to repair my car, so I went outside and drew one of the new cars they have for sale ( sketching while waiting is a good idea! )

#2 with wheels
IMG_1693rs.jpg
goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood

IRL:
jeeptruck.jpg

I'll post my work first and then return with comments.
HB graphite on printer paper.

1. steps
2. small appliance
3. has wheels
4. shoes
hunt83-01.jpg

5. has numbers (phone)
6. glass
7. blue (highlighter)
8. tool (wonky scissors)
9. mug (non-dominant hand)
10. sweet (apple, non-dominant hand)
hunt83-02.jpg

Cheers,

Jo - thanks for the new list! Yay lovely colours! How fun for those Texan buildings :)
Ai - lovely landscape. Yay porcelain teacup :) Oooh Thai mango sticky rice ... I'd like to try some ... Yay shells ... Yay yellow travel WC set. What a strange blue statue you found. Yahoo instruments! Oooh another interesting sculpture. Look at all those students with bent-over heads working on their exam :) The golden Buddha statues always look so thoughtful/pensive. Love your proud smile in the photograph :) Did Tone take that photo? Whoever did it did a good job to frame it all to get you, your sketch, and your subject all in one photo! What an interesting lion with the long neck
NedL - hello! Yahoo craggy rocks on the seashore :) How cool you had a real new-care to sketch. I haven't been to a car lot for a while but hear that lots are rather ... devoid of new vehicles for sale? What was your experience?
Pine Cone - hello! Goodness you are having a strange time. Oooh a feather!
Joe / Fletch - yay mug with football helmet. Yay sketching tool! Yay photo of all your clutch pencils in their case all lined up tidy and labelled :) Yahoo blue pocket flashlight
Joan - yay colourful beach umbrellas. Yay astrology items. Lovely stormy sky. Donut peach? I haven't heard of that before. Oooh Dijon mustard! That commission of the yacht yard building is stunning! I could feel that you took time with this ... it feels larger than your other pieces?

Joe: Thanks so much... I have to look up more info. of our mythological sculpture, especially mixing animal+human.

EP: Thanks. Cool bunch of sketches, love the phone, and the step... uhm...inspiring for me to go find some stairs to sketch. Excellent, mug sketch with non-dormi. hand.

Ned: Thanks... what a lovely nature nearby your place, and to get to see it thru your cool sketch. Wonderful vehicle sketch too.

EP -- Hi! I like the stairs! That's the one that caught my eye the most :)

Fletch, thanks for adding the blue to the flashlight. Beautiful shading and lines. One of the restaurants in Austin, El Arroyo, has great signs, Did you go there? https://elarroyo.com/

Pine Cone, thanks for the "reviews". Look forward to your comments and insight.

Hi Ai , Excellent trip to see the temples. The landscape with the huge Buddha is so well done. The cat sculpture sketch is super. You always make me hungry with your desserts. And a cute trike.

NedL, looking forward to your sketches and Texas story. There are many in our lives. In New Mexico we always shunnedthe "! plates when we parked back in New Mexico at our folks' homes. I guess we are now the "rich Texans". Rich in love and history, if not in dollars. Ha. I didn't get this posted and when I came back there were your wonderful sketches. Love the simple landscape, you feel the beach and rocks. You did a good job on the wheels. I've never seen a vehicle/pickup like that. Hmm.

Joan, such a beautiful painting. They will love it. The reflections are amazing.

eyepaint, the steps are so good, perspective and all. Cool teapot. Great job on the chair with wheels, so hard to get that perspective and fun angle on your shoes!! Made me smile ... of course. Nice on the complicated phone. Good elipses and lines on the glass, blue and tool. The mug and apple with your non dominant hand are so fine. And thanks.

I sketched at the eye doctor office for Gene's check up. All good.
Number 3 shoes (of course the man left) and number 4 lamp.
In the travel sketchbook with the Acurit 03. The dark on the photo is the wrinkled paper caused shadows. Didn't turn on the scanner.

csshfl83shoes.jpg

Walked this morning so sketched in the Ohuhu sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 5 landscape
Number 6 cat - substitute the far away egret. Pretty much of a stretch. Ha.

csshfl83landscape5.jpg

csshfl83cat6.jpg

Jo -- cat sub egret made me laugh. I like both they give me a peaceful feeling.

New hunt is posted, I think it's just before 7AM September 15 in Thailand right now. There is still time to add to this hunt too!

Fletch — Thanks so much! I've got all 3 of these sketches in my new "Joe/Fletch Shadow Collection" 😌

Ned — Thank you, and thanks for the encouraging wishes 🙏 (Tapping foot, waiting for story 😇) Love your atmospheric beach scene - moody and interesting lines and eco-nooks. Just love it! Great truck sketch too - so much character!

Joan😌 As do yours for me ☀️ Zowie, your commission is fantastic - I can't think of anything scarier than doing a commission in **watercolor** 😅 They will be gobsmacked with this piece 💝 You're an amazing artist!

Ai — I've come back several times to spend a little time with this sketch and statue of the Buddha, with such a kind and gentle expression. It warms my heart to know that in your country images of kindness, and peaceful, gentle strength, are present in so many corners you've shown us, and surrounded by vibrant color and activity. What a wonderful thing... And I agree with Ned that the expression on your version is the best of all! Your intricate lion sketch is wonderful too 🐾 Fun tricycle sketch, and your croffle sketch has put me in chocolate withdrawals 😋

JoC😌 I look forward to yours as well ☀️ Your new doc office sketches look comfy and I'm enchanted by your landscapes, complete with an egret 💛 Beautifully composed, and wonderfully sketched, and even luminous (to me).

Joan -- you posted that beautiful painting that was a commission after my comments... just wanted to say it's gorgeous and I also particularly noticed the reflections in the water, which are fabulous.

The lamp on our porch... a few stray lines. Before I started sketching I told myself, "draw confident lines". Then I confidently drew the line into the wrong place, LOL :). The watercolor was with a sakura koi waterbrush I've had for a long time, but I want to get a small one soon like I"ve been using with ink washes.

#3 lamp
IMG_1695rs.jpg

Last edited:
Ned - thank you. New hunt? I feel so behind. Yay green (oxidized copper?) lantern.
Jo - thank you. That guy in the chair in the waiting room looks rather thoughtful. Yay trees!

I did a re-do of some of the sketches from earlier. No new numbers - just rev 02.
hunt83-03.jpg

Cheers,

PineCone, Ned: Thank you.

Jo: Wonderful nature sketch, especially the sub. of the cat. Thanks for hosting.

EP: Wow... you are so diligent in doing sketches second round.

a pair of knees-

did manage to sketch of Tom this morning using new iPad and Apple Pencil…..I love this……I don know how to size or what form jpeg, pdf or what works best…if someone can bring a few tips I would appreciate them….

Back