Scavenger Hunt from Life #81: Aug 22- Aug 30

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt from Life #81: Aug 22 - Aug 30

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #81: Aug 22 - Aug 30
Something with holes
Something with stripes
Something with a zipper
Something with buttons
Something with a handle
A building
A landscape
A water view
A vehicle
Has windows
A bottle
A container
A useful tool (art or other)
Made by hand
Food you like
Inside your car
Outside your car
Sweet
Sour
Spicy
Seen at the store
Seen in a park
Found in an office
Found at the beach
Found in your purse or bag
Found right next to you

Have fun!!!

Joan: Thanks for the new list.

This was done with Stabilo woody 3in1 crayon with some dabs of water... about 9x9 inch in size and in our local cheapo sketchbook

#1 sour -- a lemon
#2 sweet -- a persimmon and a plum
#3 a bottle

1000018772.jpg

Hi Jo, EP, and Ai!

Ai, I like the textures the woody crayon gives you. Love the bottle and the persimmon!

1 - something with holes (bench) - watercolors
2 - has windows

IMG_3163.jpeg

Joan: Beautiful Sketch,

I went for a check up at the hospital, today they have a small live band to ease the mood of waiting patients. Musicians are volunteers from Mahidol Univ., School of Music.

#4 found right next to me, the band
#5 with holes, the music sheet stands

1000018900.jpg

1000018902.jpg

Hi, joe1lt

Joan, cool scene of the guy on the bench. He looks relaxed.

Ai, such a nice idea at the hospital to make your wait more pleasant. Good job on the musicians. I'm smiling, too.

Joan was in Texas a few years ago and we got together in San Antonio for a sketch day. This came up on my desktop photos today. Here we are with our Mariachi friends.
j-j2016-sat.JPG.jpeg

Jo: Thank you... Wowwwza I miss you all... Nice pic. of you and Joan. I wish I could be there ... he he he...

Joe1: Thanks.

Last edited:
We had a cool morning on the porch. Sketched in the large Canson mix media book with Ohuhu pens and watercolor.
Number 1 sweet - jelly, Number 2 spicy - Machete Salsa, and Number 3 sour - a pickle

csshfl81sweet.jpg

Ai - this has a feel of pastel - I need to look into this 3in1 crayon. Yay musicians - two guitar-players and two singers?
Joan - oh! You found a unicorn! Looks the man on the bench is NOT looking at his phone!
Jo - yay photo of you and Joan by the colourful mariachi players. Oh yay it's been a while since I've used a jar of Welch's jam.

EP: Thanks... The 3in1 woody crayon is also watersoluble too. I saw some artists use it as part of their mixed media too.

Jo: Thank you. Great job... your still life of food making me hungry.

Ai, that's a great idea to have live music to relax the waiting patients. Great job on the musicians in the band.

Jo, that photo brings back such good memories. It was fun sketching together. Jerry keeps telling me he wants to travel again and I know he would love to visit his friends down there. Who knows... Good sketch of your sweet, spicy and sour. I can't remember the last time I had grape jelly...and there is probably a very old jar of it in the fridge if I didn't throw it out the last time I went through all the bottles.

EP, the man on the bench is definitely a rare sight without a phone in his hand. lol All he had was his coffee. A woman was sitting with him when I started the sketch but she got up to go shopping before I could put her into the picture.

I went out to sketch a scene for a commission I have to do and as soon as I got to the location it started to drizzle and there wasn't a good view of the subject from my car. So I found something different to sketch just for me. I had to put the wipers on every once in a while so I could see better. This was done in the parking lot by the ferry dock.

6 - building - watercolors and ink
7 - vehicle

IMG_3178.jpeg

Joan, AI, Jo,wonderful wonderful job,
1A bottle

A2 useful tool (art or other),is a pen ,lamy safari
a5pencil
ho fatto questi, non mi ricordo più le cose che avevo provato a leggere e vedere della prospettiva o passaggi che facevo per molti soggetti.
2023-08-24 22-59_pagina_1.jpg

Joan: Great job on the building... and excellent artist work ethics of sketching while the drizzle was around you.

Joe1: Thanks. Great to see your sketches. Nice bottle. Great Lamy. I did not have a good experience with Lamy... signed... the ink blows all over me after we came down from a flight; and I forgot about it, and opened its cap... I will try using Lamy again though.

eyepaint, thanks. Your unicorn remark to Joan went over my head and I had to think, ha.

Ai, thank you so much. You are the one with your dessert drawing that makes us all hungry. Sorry about the exploding Lamy.

Joan, thanks, we do get great memories here. The Next Ferry place is super cool. Fun find.

joe1lt, love the bottle and pen. Nice lines.

Ai, I tend to go out to find something to sketch no matter what the weather is like. Someday I'll have to paint the raindrops. lol

Joe, good to see your sketches. I like the shape of your bottle and of course my favorite kind of pen...the Lamy. I have 3 of them all filled with different ink colors.

Jo, the unicorn remark made me stop and think too. Thanks for your comment.

We are having another rainy day here, but I went out to sketch anyway. That's the good part about having the mobile studio to sketch in.

8 - found right next to me (on the couch) - ink

IMG_3181.jpeg

9 - food I like - Elegant Writer pen and watercolors

IMG_3186.jpeg

10 - outside my mobile studio
IMG_3182.jpeg
- watercolors and ink

Joan, love the picture on your phone. Blue lobster, rare, right? We saw one the one time we had fresh lobster at our friends. We all took photos and they were going to release it. Memories...... Your outside is so cool. Love all the flowers and the stars! We went to music tonight but no sketches. Dark in The Bugle Boy.

#6 seen at the store (Cafe)...done in directwatercolor

1000019264.jpg

1000019263.jpg

#7 sub. Seen at the park, with this giant banyan tree at The Marine Department

1000019175.jpg

1000019167.jpg

#8 Vehicle... a dead classic Fiat500, left as CharoenKrung community icon spot....

1000019201.jpg

1000019287.jpg

Attachments

• 1000019262.jpg
    1000019262.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1000019263.jpg
    1000019263.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 16
Back