Scavenger Hunt from Life #96: Dec 22 - Dec 30

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

alcohol
berry
chocolate
domino (effect or game piece)
eggplant (or other veggie)
footware
gingerbread
holiday item
indigo
jingle
knotted
lock
mistletoe
numbers (something with)
open book
poinsettia or other flower
quarter
radio
strawberry or fruit
tree
umbrella
vanilla
western
xylophone
your choice
zigzag

Challenge to sketch in order.
Feel free to substitute or associate items.
This is recycled from 2021 if you care to look back in time
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-6-dec-20-28.2971/

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Have fun.

Thanks for the list Jo. I wish Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and all.

Jo, thanks so much for the new hunt. I helped make tamales once. A friend of my sister in CA brought all the makings over to my sister's house one year and we had a tamale-making party...and a lot of drinks from what I remember. lol I'm finishing up my last batch of cookies tonight and then I desperately need to clean the kitchen tomorrow. Between the pierogi and all the cookies I keep finding flour everywhere. Hopefully I can get some sketches done tomorrow. Funny but I sketched a xylophone for Sketchmas...but the prompt was a busker and we don't have any street performers around here so I had to resort to one of my photos.

Wishing a Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating the holiday!

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

alcohol
berry
chocolate
domino (effect or game piece)
eggplant (or other veggie)
footware
gingerbread
holiday item
indigo
jingle
knotted
lock
mistletoe
numbers (something with)
open book
poinsettia or other flower
quarter
radio
strawberry or fruit
tree
umbrella
vanilla
western
xylophone
your choice
zigzag

Challenge to sketch in order.
Feel free to substitute or associate items.
This is recycled from 2021 if you care to look back in time
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-6-dec-20-28.2971/

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Have fun.
Hi Jo, couldn't find the sign up post, but would like to create the list for any month in '24.

Fletch, putting up a tree takes a lot of energy but if you're like me you take breaks and sketch then. ;)

Jo, it's the drinks that slow you down. Tho Salty Dogs wouldn't be my choice cause I don't like grapefruit...but I can replace it with cranberry juice. Guess I'd leave out the salt too.

I got up early to do some kitchen cleaning because everything is such a mess from all the baking, etc. I vacuumed up all the crumbs and sugar that was crunching under my feet. (Don't judge me. lol) Then I made breakfast...but first squeezed in a sketch of my coffee ingredients. Then I washed the outside of the kitchen cabinets. Now I'm on break for a bit before I handle the tops of the counters and wash the floor.

1 - hazelnut syrup (sub for vanilla) - continuous line sketch with watercolor added
2 - holiday item (Christmasy mug)

IMG_4303.jpeg

Last night I decided to do a Sketchmas prompt. It was "glowing street lights." I waited until it was dark and drove into town and found a place to park. Of course I went to use my clip-on light and the batteries were dead so I had to keep the car running to see the view.
3 - tree - gouache, watercolor, white gel pen, watercolor crayons, Stillman & Born Multi Toned Sketchbook (black paper)
3 + - another holiday item

IMG_4301.jpeg

Hi ho art buddies! Holidays are in full swing…tie one on for us(y)

1 holiday tree ornament
2. Vanilla
3 western tiny cowboy boot key chain
4. Gingerbread recipe card holder…old/ nose fell off

IMG_2259.jpeg

Joan both lovely sketches….sounds you had a passionate cooking frenzy! I am jealous…and now a clean kitchen…you are rock in’ the holiday. These continous sketches of yours are charmingly loose and I love all the specks, drips and drizzle…

i used to make tamales for Christmas…they Are the best…..now I am a healthy keto , gluten free, intermittent fasting freak!

Have been very busy over last three months hoping to get back into the grove with CreativeSpark after the holidays... Hope you all have a safe and happy Holiday Season... See you soon!

Robin, your sketches are so fun! That poor gingerbread man w/o a nose can't smell the Christmas tree or the vanilla. Thanks. I've always admired people's continuous line sketches when they do several items together. They always look so loose.

Paul, hope the holiday season gives you your sketch mojo back. Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Hi everyone, hope being busy is being good! Santa is coming.

Joan, ha. We will have margaritas at some point, too, as we do New Mexican food with the tamales, enchiladas, beans, tortillas, etc....... I love youre sketch of the coffee makings. I bet the Hazelnut syrup is great. I almost got a coffee press and didn't. Should have put it on my wish list. Love yours..... your night scene and lightd are so fine!

Robin, ha, we are working on tieing on one for you.... Oh, sweet ornament, boot, vanilla and gingerbread guy. You always surprise me with items.

Hope I did it correctly :)
Very close, we start the next Hunt the same day the current Hunt ends so that makes it this:
Scavenger Hunt from Life#113: May 3 - May 11 - JennieJo

Hope that is still OK....Thanks for volunteering.

I finally got a sketch in. In the BookFactory book with a Micron 08.
#1 Free choice - Jennie and the grand dogs, sorry I messed up her sleeping face.
#2 Footwear - Larry's feet
#3 Holiday item - packages under the tree, didn't finish but you can tell it's boxes and a package.

csshfl95freespace.jpg

A few of the upcoming hunts are 8 days long instead of 9. I didn't want to edit them because people who signed up might already have the dates written on their calendars, or maybe it was intentional. :) We might have to sketch faster!! :)

I'm just home from dinner with family, daughter is home from college, and busy days coming up. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! Doubt I will try to sketch until after Christmas, but we'll see...

Paul -- hi!

#1--tree -- an xmas tree at a restaurant...done on my mobilephone..about 10 minutes...the background was an image of a stainless table...We had our xmas's Eve buffet dinner at an American restaurant named Bourbon Street restaurant. There were roasted turkey, ham, and gumbo. Tone got loads of pumpkin pie, pican pie, and pumpkin-blule'.
I miss you all and I'm thankful of you all here. Wish you the best art-wise and life-wise for new year 2024 too.

1703422068670.jpg
20231224_174228.jpg

Joan - Like the coffee setup but should be Folgers Classic Roast and drip pot not a press. Never seen watercolor on black before. Definitely a cold night feel to it. The lamp glow is eerie looking.

Robin - Fun collection and very seasonal.🎄

Jo - Margaritas and cooking does not sound like a good mix. Nice pen work. Was that after tieing one on?😎

Ned - Maybe post holidays we need shorter hunts to ease back into art routines? 😇

Ai - Fun Christmas tree… and on your phone. Nice job. Tried to draw on my phone a few times and everything came out looking like an abstract. Christmas Eve dinner sounds yummy.

Paul, Jennie, Pine Cone - waves 👋🏽

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Keep sketching
Fletch

#1 Hazelnut sub for vanilla. Less than 10 minute sketch in pocket sketchbook with 5mm mechanical pencil. I had some fun mimicking Joan’s setup.

IMG_2234.jpeg

keep sketching
Fletch

Jo, thanks. I got a small coffee press because Jerry uses the Mr Coffee and he likes to let the coffee sit and drink it all day. Yuck! I only have one cup and I'm done. Fun to see bits and bobs of your kids. Enjoy having them around...and the doggies too.

Paul, enjoy the family time. No pressure but if you do sketch feel free to post. Merry Christmas.

Ai, I love your colorful tree! Glad you found holiday related things to sketch. Merry Christmas to all of you over there.

Fletch, thanks. I have trouble sketching on my phone since it is the smallest iPhone...not enough surface area. It was a little cold doing the nocturnal sketch even from the car. Love your version of my sketch. lol

Had 3 glasses of wine with dinner so I apologize if some of this makes no sense. Seems like I'm backspacing a lot. My fingers and brain aren't working together. I was planning on wrapping gifts tonight, but I think that will be done tomorrow morning.

4 - gingerbread man on the tree on the left side about halfway down - ink (color will be added later) (This was the last Sketchmas prompt.)

IMG_4307.jpeg

5 - poinsettia - Procreate

IMG_0111.jpeg

6 - free space - watercolors and ink

IMG_4306.jpeg

Back