Scavenger Hunt from Life #59: Feb 27 - Mar 7, 2023

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/page-5
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

------------------------------------------
Scavenger Hunt #59: The list...
------------------------------------------
  • Anything
  • Bell
  • Cat/other animal
  • Desk/Table
  • Egg
  • Flower
  • Glass
  • Hand
  • Ink/ink related
  • Jug
  • Key
  • Leaf
  • Money
  • Nature or made from nature
  • Oven/stove
  • Plant
  • Quick
  • Run or exercise related
  • Shoe …
  • Tea-time
  • Ugly
  • Vehicle
  • Window
  • Xylography (the art of printing on wood)
  • Yellow
  • Zig-Zag

Last edited:
I needed to do a pastel for a class today so this is it. The class is on using muted or grayed colors and intense color for the center of interest. On the wiped off Pastelbord, 12 x 12 inches with a variety of soft pastels.
Number 1, plant
Number 2, egg
Number 3, glass

csshfl59glass.jpg

Ai, thanks for the new alphabetical list.

Jo, nicely done! I like the muted colors and like that you usedf a little bit of brighter green in the front leaves. Congrats on posting the first sketch.

Vivien, it's good to see you!

1 - animal - watercolors and ink
2 - nature
IMG_1905.jpeg

Thanks Vivien and Joan. I was going to put a red glass but it was too big for the egg, so I could have the red intense color. White isn't really a color, eh?

Joan, cool sketch of the gulls. Found a good item for the Hunt.

Thanks for the list Ai.
The first item made me laugh.

Great pastel from Jo and watercolor from Joan already!

Ai, thanks for the new alphabetical list.

Jo, nicely done! I like the muted colors and like that you usedf a little bit of brighter green in the front leaves. Congrats on posting the first sketch.

Vivien, it's good to see you!

1 - animal - watercolors and ink
2 - natureView attachment 28833
Lovely gulls painting Joan!

Beautiful Jo..

joan - Nice shore sketch. Would have expected some snow in February on the south shore.

Vivian - Welcome back. Pretty dahlia. It‘s nice to have such beautiful flowers in your own yard. Summer coming to an end. Time to plan next year plantings.

Keep sketching
Joe

Vivien - I really like the stem in the water.
Joan - Fresh and well done, as usual.
Jo - Lovely lighting, especially on the leaves.

Jo: Such a sweet start with cool pastel still-life... love how you used various shades of green. My question of pastel, for pastel board, how many times you can wipe off and re-paint another round of pastel again ... will the board degrade after so many rounds of wiping-off. I wonder if I should try on one pastel board ...

Joan: Beautiful gull by the beach.

Vivian: So bright charming yellow flower, nicely done in the vase too.

Joy & Joe & other: Hello.

#1 nature .... This was a scene of our local orchard canal-side art & community center. The owner saves the giant banyan tree to be high light of the property. My sketch covered part of spawning of this giant tree. It was done during the last light of the day with dabs of colors from my directwatercolor.

h59_nature-a.jpg

h59_nature-b.jpg

Thank you for the list Ai.

Jo -The green - purple (violet) combination always looks great.
Lovely birds Joan. I guess they are seagulls.
Beautiful dahlia flower in glass Vivien. It might be a really wonderful view seeing them in full bloom.
AI I like the muted colours in your painting. You captured the “last light of the day “atmosphere very well.

#1 flower(s) - watercolour pencils in A5 sketchbook

1677561075752.jpg

We drove by this spot of bloom in early morning... Tone and I came back to sketch it after we got off from work, the light seemed to fade away fast... even then I feel lucky to have this bloom moment !!!

#2 flowers ... the yellow vine is Anikab .... done in directwatercolor in my giant moleskine watercolor book
#3 window

h59_flowers.jpg

h59_flowers-c.jpg

Sylwia : Beautiful flowers

Paul: I'm glad you can share us a set. So nice to see your sketches ... my fav. was the vase and the hand holding a remote.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Vivien, lovely job on the yellow dahlia. I love how they come out in the fall and help make the transition into winter a little easier. They are so pretty. We've had a few crocuses pop up lately due to our unseasonably warm winter, but this morning I'm sure they are all underneath the snow that fell last night.

Joe, we finally had some snow for me to paint.

Ai, love the sketch of the banyan tree stretching out over the canal. Those trees can get to be so massive. Wow...that's yellow!!! What a profusion of flowers nest to the window.

Sylwia, lovely flower done in watercolor pencils. Anything in bloom is making me smile lately.

Paul, good collection of items. Your apps on the phone are so neatly done. Nice work on the plant, the window with bonus blinds and the car key fob.

We had snow overnight starting about 8pm. It looked better last night. A lot of the snow fell off by this morning. When I got up this morning I figured I should sketch it before all of it fell off the trees and bushes. So I opened the blinds and was painting the view out the window at 7:30 this morning. Painting before breakfast...I haven't done that in a while. :)

3 - anything - watercolors and white gouache in my Strathmore toned sketchbook

IMG_1918.jpeg

Ai - thanks for the new list. Yay colours and again with the yellow blooms
Jo - it could almost be a cotton ball protruding from a shot glass :) Love the greens in the leaves :)
Joan - look at those two seagulls keeping everyone safe :) Yahoo white gouache on toned paper!
Vivien - oooh sunny yellow
Sylwia - ooh soft petals
Paul - well done - the blinds in particular

Back