Scavenger Hunt from Life #59: Feb 27 - Mar 7, 2023

Joan: Thanks... Well done on the snow scene sketch and painting before breakfast.

EP, Joe1, and all: Thanks.

Vivien, lovely bright flower.

Thanks, Joe. Do you grow flowers? We don't, just look at the wild flowers.

Thanks Ai. I like your nature. That tree seems huge! What a gorgeous yellow vine. Your drawing is lovely.

Sylwia, thanks I always like purple and green. Your flower is so nice, looks delicate.

Paul, love the page of finds. Souvenir in the plant? Great blinds on the window. Fun hand and key.

Joan, nice to "see" the snow. Happy we haven't had any. Ha. Your sketch really pops, nice...

Hey, eyepaint. I'm waving at you!

joe1lt, waving at you as well.

I closed this and forgot to add my sketch. In the ArtStreet sketchbook with a Micron 02.

Number 4, window - this was a bad idea, there is a triangle where the porch and the window come together. I forgot there would be bricks to draw as well and under the eaves. Ha. Too complicated for my brain.

csshfl59window.jpg

Last edited:
Jo: Thanks. That is a cool attempt on tough window. You did great.

Sylwia: So beautiful... love your background hatching around those delicate curves...I might try some of this style....

Last edited:
Jo: That was quick great start. Great pastel painting your pastels are so soft
looking love the color scheme.. Well done window

Joan: Thanks.. Really like that sky, well done seagulls nice form on the rock. Ah
well done snow scene. We got snow as well I thought winter was gone ..

Viven: Great sketch like how you captured how the stem appears magnified
in the water well done

Ai: Thanks...Nice nature scene looks so nice and warm. That anikab flower
is beautiful

Sylwia: Well done flower and like your color scheme

eyepaint: Thanks

I have been waiting for my next door neighbor to park his car in the drive so I could sketch it but gave up waiting and did a
nature scene instead. Pen and ink wash sketch 8.5" by 5.5" watercolor pad about an hour.

#6. Nature

Jerry.jpg

Last edited:
EP, thanks!

Ai, thank you. Exercise first and then painting. lol

Jo, that's a lot to squeeze into one sketch. Corners like that with views into other places are tricky. You did well!

Sylwia, nice ease to your flowers. I like the touches of ink on them.

Paul, thanks. Don't you hate when people don't leave behind what you want for your sketch...or even worse take it away when you aren't finished sketching it. lol Nice landscape. I see some clusters of snow there. We pretty much only have snow left on the grass and not much of it. Most of it melted yesterday.

Ai - Think you captured the dying light well and the morning light as well.

Sylwia - Nicely done on the florals with watercolor pencils.

Paul - Nice collection of sketches. The vase is my fav. Nice wash shading on the landscape.

Joan - I feel like I jinxed you with my snow comment. On the plus side the snow made a great subject in the morning light.

Jo - have some Bougainvilles and frangipani but no flower beds. We did up North but we live in a deed restricted community and beds around the house were landscaped. As I said we did slip in some flowering trees and bushes ove4 the years. Tough angles on the window. Well done.

Keep sketching
Joe

comments first then back later with a drawing...

Vivien - like the cheerful yellow! Cold and rain here but heading into Spring.

Ai - like the direct watercolor, love big sprawling banyan trees! Makes me think of Lahaina in Hawaii. I know the amazing flowers are the
focus on the 2nd one but the roof looks really neat. I like seeing the picture and what your palette looks like.

Sylwia - that flower is great, I like the way you often shade the background, sometimes with hatching. Oh the "1a" flowers are great too, this time with the hatching background I was thinking of! :)

Paul -- nice set of hunt drawings the hand is particularly good. Like the pen and ink wash and how the sense of detail fades as we look further back.

Joan - like the white gouache on toned paper and I always seem to like when you use a "simple" ( doesn't seem simple to me! ) palette. Last week I got some "china white" watercolor and have only played with mixing it with different tiny amounts of phthalo blue and phthalo green... but is it similar to white gouache? ( I have a reason for my question... am wondering about putting white on black paper... )

Jo - well, I don't think it was a bad idea, I like the way you put the reflections on the window.

Back in a few minutes after I take a photo of today's kind of silly drawing ....

Today was the first day since Saturday that it wasn't raining, and I got to the beach after work.
At the end of my walk, I sat and tried to pretend I was making a sketch for a woodcut print from what was in front of me.

This is kind of a "brain teaser" because in a woodcut print, the ink is where you don't carve. Using black ink on white paper is backwards. It would be more interesting to try white ink ( gel pen?? gouache?? ) on dark paper. Anyway it kind of ended up in the "spirit" of a woodcut, maybe. Or maybe too jumbled to tell what it is :)

The whole time I was sitting there, I couldn't stop thinking about "xylography from life", and I kept imagining sitting there with a block of wood and a carving tool. I wonder if that is even possible!! I've never made a woodcut print but am very interested in trying it.

#1 xylography ( sorta, kinda, spirit of )
IMG_1465rs.jpg

Last edited:
I have been waiting for my next door neighbor to park his car in the drive so I could sketch it but gave up waiting and did a
nature scene instead.
Next time, maybe you'll have more luck. ;) The nature scene looks very nice. I like the delicate ink wash.

Anyway it kind of ended up in the "spirit" of a woodcut, maybe. Or maybe too jumbled to tell what it is :)
This might be “Future project sketch for the woodcut… " The sketch looks good in the round frame and will make a nice woodcut print.

1b flower - Pitt pastel pencils in A5 sketchbook

25.jpg

#4 hand -- the hand sculpture installation by Bangmod canal, made by bottle caps ... done by wc and pencil, in my giant Moleskine watercolor sketchbook

#5 Anything ... more ambient scene (part of the house + another angle of the giant banyan tree I recorded the other evening) at our local art and community center

h59_hand_a.jpg

h59_hand_b.jpg

BTW, I went back to the profusion of yellow flowers by my local roadside this morning but now all yellow blooms were gone... I felt lucky to caught some end of the bloom. :unsure: You've never know what our Scavenger Hunt will take you...

Sylwia: Lovely flowers in variety of techniques and medium.

Ned: Wow... what a great idea and thought that go into the charming xylography style sketch... I might have to borrow your creative idea here.

Last edited:
Sylwia, the pink flowers are delicate and lovely lines. I like the dark background on the pastel pencil sketch of the pinks.

Thanks, Ai . The bottle cap hand is huge. They collected for a while, eh? Your sketch is amazing. The yellow blooms were a good catch. Sort of like the wisteria here. Our neighbor has some and it is beautiful but seems the blooms only last a couple of weeks.

Paul the sketch sans vehicle is very good. Snow for you, too. (Happy it is you not me! Evil grin) Pretty to see. Well done

Joan, thanks. I should do things with that tough perspective in pencil first. Ha.

Joe, thanks. We keep thinking to put in some crepe myrtles for color and just haven't so not much color in our yard, get some wildflowers toward the lakes.

NedL, thanks for your comments. Now that I see your neat xylography sketch which is excellent, I'm reminded I have some wood cut prints above my computer desk I see every day. Didn't even think of those. I will sketch one, thanks for the idea.

Wonderful, adorable offerings…..inspiring/aspiring environment….thanks for sharing your creative moments…

1oven, stove
2 quick- waterboard mostly used to practice cantonese
3 zigzag- iPad cover
4shoe
5 animal
6 jade plant I love em
7 money israel
69D63BB8-54B1-43C9-A002-23C5C9C6A3EB.jpeg
F5B366FF-FFB2-457D-977E-6F055718F58A.jpeg

Jo - hello (waves) - ooh look at those blinds/curtains
Sylwia - great hatching behind the flower
Paul - well done on the sketch despite no car
Ned - ooh lovely scene with the wood carving and rocks on the seaside
Ai - yay more colour - the giant hand is waving hello to us :) I wonder how many bottle caps were on that item? Interesting about the yellow blooms that they were so short lived
Robin - awww that kitty is watching you draw. What a cool coin with that lute/lyre. Good zigzag - I'm stuck on that prompt

I have some sketches. Ink and marker and highlighter. Some graphite too.
  1. Glass <-- glass mug
  2. Hand <-- left hand
  3. Xylography (the art of printing on wood) <-- a "vintage" ruler I found
  4. Bell <-- ring bell for service bell
  5. Oven/stove <-- microwave

hunt59-01a.jpg

hunt59-01b.jpg

hunt59-01c.jpg

I cannot find that business or parent company listed anywhere. That address (1401 Government Street) is a building built in 1888; I love that underneath the phone number says "for prompt service" - and the format of the phone number is hilarious! 2-letter and 5-digit telephone dialing was used in Canada in the 1920s to 1960s. On May 1, 1960 there were two towns in the province of Quebec that were the first to try 7-digit dialing. So I estimate this ruler was from 1950s or early 1960s.

Cheers,

Wow when I see it here the mug seems so tiny like a child's tea-set. I forgot to include the size - it's printer paper so 8.5x11" :)

Last edited:
Back