Scavenger Hunt from Life #59: Feb 27 - Mar 7, 2023

EP: Thanks. So cool sketch set... I love your art energy and the vintage ruler that you have traced its history. That is so fantastic behind the scene of art making.

Robin: Thanks... Love your dancing lines... my fav. is your zig-zag and the cat... charming oven.

Jo: Thanks.

Sylwia: Thanks... So cool flowers and jug vase ...so vibrant.... those would uplift my spirit anyday. ... I think you can count the jug vase as another item of our Hunt too.

Ned, I don't know anything about China white watercolor. I keep a tube of white gouache in my sketching kit because it covers well and sometimes I just need it. The rest of that snow painting was done with watercolors. I like your xylography sketch. I would think that gouache (in most colors) would work on the black/dark paper. Give it a try...you have nothing to lose.

Sylwia, the dark blue background really sets off the flowers nicely. I like the pastel of the flowers in the vase...nice texture on the flowers. Seeing your flower sketches always makes me smile.

Ai, the bottle cap hand painting made me smile. People are so creative with what they use for materials. I once saw an exhibit where the artist used flattened metal bottle caps attached to each other. He was able to give it the feeling almost like flowing material, not metal. It was amazing!

Robin, your sketches are such interesting items and you always do great sketches of them. I like the water board, the zig-zagging iPad cover, and that shoe. Super job!

EP, the cup looks like you are at a tea party with kids...or that it is an expresso cup. Love that vintage ruler with all the text! Things like that are fun to see.

4 - sub for tea time (a place setting) - watercolors and ink
IMG_1925.jpeg

Joan: Thanks. That place setting sketch is superb. So elegantly beautiful. I love the shine highlight on the plate too.

Joan: Thanks.... we didn't get much snow but the weather has been
such that it hasn't melted away yet. Like the place setting
interesting there is a picture of a waiter with a bottle of wine
great way to remember wine at dinner.

Joe: Thanks

Ned: Thanks... nice idea for wood print it is interesting I had
the same thought (trying a wood sketch) so.... I watched some videos
on how to do wood cuts and what do I see my pocket knife
can be used for wood sketching. soooo yup that was my find
my pocket knife. Great job on you design for a wood print

Sylwia: Thanks... I finally gave up on my neighbor and sketched
my car it's going no where until I tell it to. Well done flower
pleasing color scheme, vase and flower sketch also well done

Ai: Thanks.. Amazing how fast the landscape changes you were
fortunate to catch that beautiful scene.

Jo: Thanks...

Robin: Love the colorful sketches my favorite is the shoe. Great
find for Zig-Zag (Ipad cover). Cute kitty cat, well done jade plant,
oven, and water board

Eyepaint: Thanks... well done with the glass mug, bell, and
stove. Clever idea for Xylography that was my favorite sketch
as well. I vaguely recall a numbering scheme for phones
that had a couple letters that represented a region or city
plus 4 numbers... that had to be in the fifties so.. some time before
that I would guess... That rules is at lest 75 years old and
probably longer.

so much wonderful work! 😀
too much to comment😁

#1 nature
#2 yellow
colored pencil on drawing paper
20230301_112457.jpg

i only kept the potted primrose - now it looks a little underdressed without the yellow pot...

Paul - Nice job with several objects. You have a god eye for proportions and relationships.
Ai - Love the hand and the tree; very unusual.
Jo - I think you did an excellent job with the window.

Sylwia - love the flowers and the background again makes them stand out nicely! I think the "1c" one with extra colors in the background is really striking and makes the colors seem extra cheerful.

Ai - like all the color with that hand sculpture. Like the way the tree on the left looks too.

Robin - always like when you use different colors of ink. I like the shoe and the i-pad cover. The shading on the shoe really worked well.
EP - hi! Like all the sketches, the ruler is neat. You always seem to have nice smooth confident lines,

Joan - thanks, gouache next time I'm at the art store :)The way the shape of that plate somehow comes through perfectly with that background on it is really good.

Paul - thanks, I'm getting ready to order my wood carving tools. Probably too busy to use them until April when I'll have some time off, but am going to start getting ready. I'm going to try the ones called "powergrip". I like your car drawing.

Stephanie - nice cheerful bright flowers!

Back in a few minutes with the very quick sketch from today....

The rocks on the right are called "gull rocks". Today there were 3 cormorants on top ( gigantic cormorants if you believe my sketch ).
To get to this place, I walked through the narrow gap between the rocks and the cliff.

#2 Quick ( quick sketch... almost dark when I got back to my car )
IMG_1474rs.jpg

I guess those are my footprints above the sketchbook... the only ones on that beach today.
a different perspective:
IMG_1472rs.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, good thinking to use the pocket knife for xylography. Good work on your car...nice lines.

Stephanie, the primroses look so pretty in the yellow pot. Gives the feeling of spring!

Ned, the rocks along your coast are so ruggedly beautiful. Nice sketch even if the cormorants are a little big. I enjoy seeing your sketches from out there. Our beaches are rather flat near me.

Ai, you seem to be surrounded by flowers! I like seeing all the color since we are still in our brown winter blah colors. lol

Ai, I like your leggy creature you sketched...I just don't want him/her near me.

Stephanie, great idea to switch out the setting for the primrose plant. Nice colors!

5 - yellow house - watercolors and ink
6 - plants

IMG_1939.jpeg

7 - vehicle - watercolors and ink

IMG_1933.jpeg

Thanks everyone for sharing your art and friendly comments

EP. Great sketches…the hand ams vessel is entrancing oddly enough it has a tentative holding tension…you must have been really in the zone. Friendly oven,. Fun & Interesting comments about the ruler.

Sylwia. Nice flower arrangement, nice detail on the leaves and the pitcher shape is sparingly shading does good work. There’s those sweet rabbits again….lovely pencil work

Joan. Great job on the place setting. It certainly makes for happy dining…really super job the napkin looks so soft and tangible . super yellow house and boat

MPaul. Fun sketches. Great job on the shoe treads. The little flecks of white and depth shapes are nice. I bet those are springy walking. Neat car. The color makes it looks like a kakey overcoat . Sweet knife

Stephanie. Hi lovely happy flower.. Yellow pot with purple tinged shadow is delicious. The marker flower is full of adventure and contrast motion between leaves and pot/bowl is rooting.

Joy- Hi

NedL. Great concise sketch. You are fortunate to have such magnificence so close. Thanks for sharing with photos

Ai. Definitely amarillismo body language, well done! Wow…there are shimmering plants just outside your doorstep!

Back