Scavenger Hunt from Life #102: Feb 5 - Feb 13

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.
---------------------------------------------------
Scavenger Hunt from Life #102: Feb 5 - Feb 13
---------------------------------------------------
Free space#1
Free space#2
Nature
Animal or animal related
Building
Books or magazines
Bottle
Cup
Shoes
Person or people
Odd shape
Rock or stone or boulder
Interesting shadow
Bag or purse or alike
Outdoor
Indoor
Fruit
Flower
Engine or some kind of moving mechanical
Snack or sweet
Made of plastic
Made of fabric
Made of leather
Made of metal
Made of plaster or cement
Made of wood

Enjoy your little art time !!!

Last edited:
Ai — Thanks for a fun list 😂 I've been picking crayon colors for a sketch I want to do from your list, but haven't actually sketched yet. I really want to make it 4 events in a row though, if possible 🙏☀️

ALL — I'M SO SORRY for not thanking you yet or commenting more on the last event... will try to do that in the next day or two, but will post it here, if I do.

PineCone: Pls. take it easy... Don't worry ... just enjoy your art time when you can.

I sketched on the footstool this morning and watched a bit of TV. These are in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 1 plastic - little containers, Number 2 wood - cutting board, Number 3 fabric - napkin
csshfl102plastic.jpg

Number 4 free space - corner of living room
Number 5 odd shape - several gourd, rain gauge, eraser, heart monitor, carving on table
Number 6 snack - bag of sunflower seeds
csshfl102free.jpg

Pine Cone, don't worry about commenting. Just let us know that you are there and post a sketch when you can.

Jo, you found some interesting things to combine and sketch. I like the setups. Nice odd shapes...especially the gourd.

1 - outdoor - watercolors

IMG_4599.jpeg

2 - building - watercolors and ink

IMG_4607.jpeg

3 - flower - watercolors, ink, oil pastels, inktense pencils (A new sketch of my amaryllis in nearly full bloom.)

IMG_4601.jpeg

Hi everyone 👋 These comments are for the previous event, #101, hosted by Joan. Thank you for hosting such a vibrant and colorful event!!! 😂🎨

Ai — Thank you so much for your encouragement ☀️
I was enchanted by all your gorgeous direct watercolors and your line drawings, and blind contours. Your waterlily pondscape, the walking path in the same nearby park, your friend, the neighborhood purple vines, the lines and gorgeous rusty sage of the tea sketch, and all your work..... fantastic efforts with their astonishing beauty and inspiring colors. Thank you for all the artwork you do, and for posting it here! 🙏🎨☀️

Joan — I hope your show went well 🙏😌 Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment... I had to laugh (sorry) about splashing a bit of color onto your mobile studio 😳😃😌
Love your comforting sketches of home items, and the sublime sketches of your amaryllis. Your sketches of houses struck me this time with the clarity and appropriate abundance of their unobtrusive details... like the way you included the two flags in the sketch of "#5 building", the intricacies of the stairs, etc. And all your moody scapes are just wonderful 🎨 including the Unisphere-scape Zowie!!! That sphere is perfect - I've been trying to figure out how you did it, but I can't wrap my gobsmacked mind around it 😃😂😍

Ned — Beautiful seascapes with those charged waves, and the cliffs begging to be explored... Thanks for the photos too 📷

Loulou — Welcome 👋 Lovely ink sketches with their layers and detailing and shadows!!! ✍️

JoC — Thank you so much for your encouragement ☀️ I should have done better - I drew nothing but charcoal horses as a kid (not counting one exception, but that's another story 😊) - maybe I can blame the cheap copy paper 😇... or the steering wheel and gearshift and hand brake, all stubbornly refusing to get out of my way 🤪
Love your cheerful app landscape, and your home items, always comforting in their presence and lines ☀️ and your sketches of the cool office, and guests there, with their clothes and shoes conjuring stories of the lives they've led 🌎 Lovely pastel and photo, with their deep colors 😌

Robin — Thank you so much for your encouragement ☀️
Amazing still life, WOW!!! Love the way you portrayed all the items, the colors you chose, all of it — so inspiring and wonderful in every detail 😂

Joe1lt — Thank you so much for your encouragement 😅 Your comment about the naughty charcoal cracked me up 🤪 So true 😁 I covered over the charcoal experiment part in the photo of the 2nd image cause it was soooo bad (naughty LOL!!!). I like your colored pencil suggestion... I'm gonna have to learn how to use them 👍

Joe/Fletch👋 So good to see you ☀️ Wonderful to read the story of you and your sweetheart at the World's Fair 🌎 Fun new toy, and wonderful shading and depth of a difficult POV 😌 I hear juggling is fun 😇

pinecone: Thanks so much.

Joan: WowZa on the glorious victorian home, and the amazing bloom of the bulbs... and the so relaxing seascape. Welldone.

Jo: Amazing lines on things around you ... but you make them special... the first set made me hungry... the odd shape gourd in center is beautiful like a good zoom in of a great artist life .... The armchair free space set shows comfyness. Well done.

Pine Cone, your comments to everyone are so great and insightful. Thank you for taking the time to comment in depth to all of our work. I know I appreciate it immensely.

Ai, thank you. The flowers have all opened and I've enjoyed them so much. Now they are starting to droop. I don't know how long they will last, but they are still making me smile.

My Wednesday sketch group met at the library tonight and our theme was Valentine's Day. Everyone brought something related that they wanted to sketch. I brought along a few things and did a little still life.

4 - animal (unicorn) - watercolors, watercolor pencils, ink
5 - metal pail
6 - sweet
7 - made of plastic (mylar balloon)

IMG_4615.jpeg

Joan: Wow... what a fantastic Valentine still-life.... Love the sweet red.

I thought I had commented more .. evidently not. Hi everyone.
Joan, super beach scene. The home is so unique with the porch and greenery. Lovely. The amaryllis came out so nice. I thought it would bloom all spring. The valentine still life is exceptional. Now I want a balloon, fuzzy toy and candy!!

Pine Cone we always welcome your comments and sketches whenever you can get here. Thank you so much. Fantastic from your mobile studio.

Ai, thank you. I'm smiling.

I sketched in front of the garage while Gene was on his trike. Perfect day today. Cloudy but warm.
Number 7 nature - across the street. In the watercolor sketchbook with a Sharpie pen and watercolor
Number 8 building - house across the other street (we are on a corner). In the BookFactory sketchbook with the Sharpie pen.

csshfl102nature.jpg

csshfl102building.jpg

PineCone/ dang….. that is a lot of comments….thanks …. I know how ya feel, I think…. Everyone here touches each other by sharing their art…. It is a good place we make together ❤

Joan that cross eyed valentines beastie looks confused “am I a bear, or a unicorn?” Lovely beach and old house sketch is tidy, your skills are sharp

JoC —- the colored landscape is hard to stop looking at…. Peaceful, almost smell it
The in-house sketches have a neat clarity. Inviting stuffed chair

Ai - thanks for hosting

Hi Ned, Fletch, Joe1
I have a procreate sketch on phone but not sure how to post it…got a few minutes to try. Tom is a valiant prince ….. refused water and coffee yesterday and so far today…everything tastes bad….thanks for your prayers

Jo: Beautiful airy feel nature scene, cool building with tree masses. Despite they were done only by lines, but you get good depth depicting the building in the tree setting.

Robin: Excellent way to jab at your limited time to sketch in the pharmacy. The man gait is wonderful and the super cute size of roller table with a cup is fantastic.

Not much from me... as I have been exhausted... Hope to regain some energy and join you guys some later.

Hi to all, Ai thanks for the new list. We had power outage and no internet ( or water or heat! ) for a few days after a storm. Back to normal now :) I'm off to go on a hike, I'm sure there'll be some rocks or boulders or outdoors or free space! We'll see if I sketch :)

Wrote these Thursday afternoon and never hit return
Jo
- The first thing that struck me was you use cloth napkins. Nice pen work. We have a similar collection of canes and walking sticks. I think I would have used artistic license and left the shutters out. Nice spacing on them. Gourd is a great odd shape pick.

Joan, looking at your dunes painting I got to wondering why beach scales with dunes and grasses are always so relaxing? Your house could be in any text on pen and wash. Great work on the amaryllis. Fun watching it bloom in your paintings. Is that a Valentines unicorn? Love the painted text!

PineCone want to point out the note in every hunt. “*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.” But in your case we would probably all vote to not have that note apply to you as your comments are always insightful, personal and fun. So in short as enjoyable as your art.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Robin, fun sketch of the guy waiting. Gotta love the mini table and cup! 👍🏽 Hang tough

Fletch

Back