Scavenger Hunt from Life #59: Feb 27 - Mar 7, 2023

Robin, awwww, cool kitty. Love the shoe, coin, plant and zig zag. You always surprise me with your items.

EP, fun glass. The ruler is amazing. Different bell . You made a microwave interesting!

Sylwia, your blue jug in pastels is wonderful. Lots of texture and movement in the still life. The marker version is so exciting. The rabbits are cute and well hatched and shaded.

Joan, fun and different tea time. Great job on the shine and silverware.

Paul, Swiss Army knife, Gene's stays in the car now. Like your shoes and car. Nice lines and textures. Really excellent job on the train. Wow!

stephanie, such a sweet plant and little pot. We have wild primroses here, you captured the delicate flowers.

Joy, hi.

NedL, Nice small sketch and sketchbook. The photos are beautiful. Looks like a super place to sketch and walk.

Ai, beautiful flower. The amarilis in red really pops. Your plants at the cabin are lovely. Eeek, spider!

Joan, Nice find, a yellow house Fun. Love the vehicle it is so well done. We are thankful for the firemen.

Gene was on his trike and I took him his pill and decided to sketch since I have the new Strathmore Visual Journal in the car! The neighbors came out to check on why I was sitting in my car so long. Asking if I had car problems. Ha.

Number 5 anything - the neighbor's house with the suit of armor in the yard. Ha. I eliminated lots of stuff. There was another flag of some sort behind the tree and a truck parked so couldn't see everything. Acurit pen in the journal. Added watercolor at home.
Number 6 yellow - went to get some dinner to go at the Roadhouse in Bastrop and the yellow umbrella was up. Digital in the App Brushes on my phone. The sketchbook was at home as I had taken it in to color and scan. Had to rush only a few minutes for them to bring out our food.

csshfl59anything.jpg

csshfl59yellow.jpg

Sylwia - lovely softness on the flower. The rabbits - are they salt and pepper shakers?
Ai - thank you. Lovely red on your amaryllis :) Such long legs on that spider!!
Joan - lovely plate at your place setting. Lovely fire rescue boat!
Paul - thank you. Oooh good sneaker. Yay train!
Stephanie - the primrose is rather well done :). Lively marks on your marker version of the primrose
Ned - thank you. What are gull rocks?
Robin - thank you. I think I was definitely in the zone when drawing the hand and mug.
Jo - thank you. Interesting microwave? Thank you! That is a fun set of items in that yard. I took a pic at Xmas of an interesting front yard ... let's see if I can find it.

frontyard_xmas2022.jpg

Stephanie: Well done flowers like your colored pencil work. Great idea
switching out the vase and plate. I like both but I think your #3 is my favorite
like all those lines..

Joy: Thanks... I do try to pay attention to proportions and relationships
some times I hit them but generally I am off a bit. I have devolved some
bad habits with drawing I try to break but not so easy, basically lazy here

Ned: Thanks... let me know how you make out with the wood printing. Nice
line work on the sea shore

Ai:
Thanks... great color on your flower and plant looks like a peaceful walkway
through the plants... scary spider he's huge if he cam after my lunch I would just
give it to him. I bet he and Shelob in the Lord of Rings would be challenged.

Joan: Thanks ...Well done house and Fire rescue ship your watercolors always
seem to be economically efficient when it comes to the # of paint strokes, very
nice. I think that is why they always appear clean and neat

Sylwia: Your shading is very well done very soft and smooth.. nice!

Jo:
Thanks... nice sketch of house and yellow umbrella.. Like the idea of
playing with digital art will have to poke around and figure it out.

Eyepaint:
thanks... a lot of good sketching objects in the sleigh

EP, really excellent, creative sketches. Love the ruler. I remember hearing about how the first two letters in the phone number (in the Philadelphia area) would be part of it. A word was attached to the letters, such as Klondike for KL. One would give out their number as,"Klondike 12345", etc. The person making the call would dial (literally) the corresponding letters on the phone.
Stephanie, lovely bold color, well placed.
Joan, these are wonderful, and so detailed for sketches. Do you sketch directly in ink? Alas, I do not possess the confidence for that.
Paul, I recognized the Red Line immediately! Jerry and I were there in October for a day on a NE/Canada cruise. One can never tire of the sites there. This time we took the T to the Aquarium.
Sylwia, adorable bunnies!
Ai, your work always inspires. You are so prolific with maintaining quality.

Ned, Your cliffs have a very good line and that subject would make a nice painting. You asked about "China White". I have a tube of Chinese White watercolor, PW6. It is not quite as bright white and dries a bit lighter than expected. It is supposedly useful to add a bit to other paint as a "body color" to make it more opaque. Titanium and Zinc White are brighter and more opaque than Chinese White, although they are all PW6. I also have some gouache in Zinc and Titanium Whites, but I have not used them yet.

Last edited:
This is line and wash in a Canson XL 140CP sketchbook, 7 x 10. Yellow for the paint tube, Running for my running watch, and Zig-Zag for a tissue box. I dearly need to do more from life, and will try to be more faithful to the practice.

F389470C-405E-40B1-8C25-F78AB47EE460_1_201_a.jpeg

Amazing sketches you guys: Paul, Jo, Joy, Joan, EP, Robin, Ned, Sylwia, Joe1, and everyone ... truly inspiring.

EP: That is such a cool yard decorations.

Thank you all for your kind comments too.

Last edited:
I apologize for my duplicate posts....my cellphone stucked so I thought my post did not go through...if the Moderator could kindly remove some of them, I am grateful for your help.

EP, what a fun yard. Our son that lives in Kentucky has a fun neighbor. They have several skeletons and they dress them for the holidays. Santa at Christmas and most holidays with themes, cowboys, workers, etc. Your page of sketches is so good and fun. The colors seem to set them all off. I always like how you crop the scenes.

Paul, playing with digital is fun but I forget how the different apps work and spend more time learning again. I have several apps but use Brushes the most and don't do layers and all that. Just quick sketches with few undos. I started on Gene's phone about 10 years ago, now use my iPhone, iPad, and iMac. This one was on the phone.

Joy, what good and interesting finds. The tissue box is fine, fine! Great gestures and lettering.

Stephanie, jade plant like Robin! Love the Matchbox truck. Sleigh bells, I don't know anyone else that would have those. Good job on your lines and hatching.

Sylwia, I wondered about the rabbit figures, too. I'm smiling. Clever coloring on the peppers. A different take.

Ai, ahhh, more blooms. Beautiful and lovely gestures in the tree. Wow, never saw a cologne bottle like that. Nice shiny look. Popular shaped bottles here in the States were the Jim Beam bottles of cars and more. Very collectible.

Jo: Thank you. I love your digi sketch for yellow... the armor scene is very interesting too.
Stephanie: Thanks... Wonderful purple pen lines... nice format of 4 windows.
Sylwia: Thanks... Lovely bell peppers
Joan: Thanks... your red boat is stunning
Joy: Thanks...love your tissue box
Paul:Thanks... wonderful sketch of the train
EP: Thanks... cool set... I love your plant and the delicate hair pins.

Last edited:
Jo: Thanks... Yes, we are lucky... Tone inherited this bottle from his late dad...It was after Jaguar E-Type... The bottle lid is the rear part, which is plastic. The rest of the car is made from glass.
h59_vehicle_b_real.jpg

Robin: Wow... Awesome set... love the ivory figure and the special shape of those paper note pads ... super cute ugly monster.

Joan: I forgot to say your yellow house is fantastic.

Last edited:
Jo: Thanks... Yes, we are lucky... Tone inherited this bottle from his late dad...It was after Jaguar E-Type... The bottle lid is the rear part, which is plastic. The rest of the car is made from glass.
View attachment 29021
do you have the box too?
20230306_164019.jpg

from my late uncle - a serious car buff - still has the cologne!

ok everyone - all together now
🎵It's a small world after all 🎶
😁

Back