Scavenger Hunt from Life #43: Oct 22 - Oct 30

joe1It

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life # 42: Oct 22 - Oct 30-
Pumpkin
Disguise
makes you scream
dark
makes you happy
animal
a gift from mother nature (plant, fruit, etc )
joking
it is in the kitchen
it is located in the bathroom
a window (or, the view you see from a window)
square in shape
triangular in shape
people
library (or a book or magazine)
pile of junk
the collections
it is precious
it is tasty
it is usual
it is very economical
a necklace or bracelet
you use it to measure
it is made of wood
a dress
keeps you warm

optional challenge, indeed 2 or 3 :
1) draw an element of the list all in blue (using a pencil, a pen or whatever you prefer);
2) draw a drawing with a solid line;
3) make a contour drawing;

happy drawings

Last edited:
I went to a sketchout with my art friends in the middle of city of Bangkok. In the morning, we started at a cafe by Bangkoknoi canal... later on in the afternoon, we bought some flowers from a flower market, and stopped by my nearby city townhome, in which I had planned to use it for my art studio... and we put those flowers down on the table to sketch for a few hours, with the girl laugh. It was fun and relaxing art session.

#1 it is usual -- canals or waterways in Bangkok, 60 years ago or more, Bangkok was also known as "Venice of the East" ... now many small canals have been paved up to make way for more city roads.
#2 it is very economical-- thatch roof and bamboo poles of the cafe
#3 makes you happy -- an iced juice drink
#4 it is tasty -- cheese cake
#5 make of wood -- a long-tail boat

h43_2a.jpg

h43_2b.jpg

h43_2c.jpg

h43_a_2.jpg

#6 a gift from mother nature -- flowers
#7 the collections -- flowers + red kettle

h43_b.jpg

h43_a.jpg

Below were some sketches from all 4 of us this afternoon:

h43_2a_2.jpg

h43_2a_3.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, you have done wonderful works.
very nice to see the works of your artist friends, you all did a fantastic job.

Joe1- Thanks for new list.

Ai - It is always interesting to see different artists interpretations of the same subject. Please thank your friends for sharing. Love then all. Each is so unique.

keep sketching
Joe

#8 pumpkin (color) -- locomotives at Bangkoknoi Train Depot ... done in directwatercolor

h43_train_a.jpg

h43_train_b.jpg

#9 dark -- another locomotive parked under roof

h43_train_c.jpg

I'll post my sketches first and then return with comments.

Here are my sketches.

0. Twice I did a redo of "flexible" from the previous hunt.

1. it is very economical - 2kg container
2. (from) the kitchen - pizza cutter
3. you use it to measure - measuring cup
4. it is made of wood - handle of spatula

hunt43-01.jpg

Cheers,

Joe, thanks for the new list.

Ai, it looks like you and your friends found a great place to sketch. I love the flower sketches too. It was good thinking to buy flowers to sketch. Ah...but the train sketches are so great! Is that a working train depot or a place where they park them?

EP, I like your economical sized container sketch. Good spatula and pizza cutter.

1 - pumpkin - orange micron pen, Noodler's brown ink & acrylic inks
2 - gift from Mother Nature (pinecone)

IMG_1105.jpeg

3 - windows - ink & watercolors
4 - made of wood (electrical pole_

1022 mineola diner.jpeg

Joe1-Thanks for new list, looks like lots of fun opportunities

Ai - wow, I envy you having all those active artists friends.....a whole day of sketching.....SWEET!!

EP - nice open, free sketches...your work always has great spaceness

Joan: That depot is in active use. But I think the old style locomotive in black that I have sketch might got parked there long time while other modern locomotives are in-out as needed in operation. Wonderful pumpkin and pine-cone... love the details in your diner. Superb.

Robin & EP: Thanks.

EP: Love your 2 kg. container and kitchen gadget... You inspire me to go looking for them... ha.

Joan - thank you. Mmmm love the splatter on your pumpkin page. Check out those reds on that trim on the Diner!
Robin - thank you
Ai - thank you.

More sketches (I was listening to a podcast)
5. > dark - black marker
6. > makes you happy - ukulele
7. > it is located in the bathroom - barette
8. > square in shape - eraser was square/rectangular when it was new
9. > triangular in shape - binder clip
10. > a necklace or bracelet - amber pendant

hunt43-02.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for the new list, joe1lt!

Ai, wow look at the fun sketches. You did so well with your friends. Thanks for sharing their sketches, too. Applause and delight. Love the train and all......

EP, I like your choices of items. Cool pizza cutter and fun flexible. Fun you worked in the uke. love your boxes of surprises.

Joan, love the pumpkin and clever to add in with the pinecone. Pretty. The diner is so fun.

I didn't sketch with my art buddy. How does that work? We had fun anyway.

Robin & Ai, thanks so much. The diner was a good find and luckily nothing blocked our view.

EP, thanks. I always love your ukulele sketches. Nice amber pendant. Good thinking of the binder clip for triangular.

Jo, thank you. Now I'm going to be searching for interesting diners to sketch...I've been googling them to see what they look like. lol

We have another rainy day. I had to go out to the post office this morning so I figured I'd go have coffee somewhere so I could sketch the interior of someplace for Inktober. I ended up at Panera Bread since I know that there are good views of the counter from a few of the tables...and I figured a bagel was necessary to go with my coffee.
5 - tasty - water-soluble brown ink

IMG_1109.jpeg

6 - people - ink
7 - collections of baked products

IMG_1111.jpeg

Back