Scavenger Hunt from Life #43: Oct 22 - Oct 30

joe1lt, thanks for the list.

Joe, Jo, hello.

Ai, thanks for sharing your sketch group and their sketches. Looks like a lot of fun! Your sketches are wonderful, as always.

EP, I usually don't have the patience to draw the same thing more than once. I especially like the lines on your spatula. I also like to listen to podcasts/YouTube when I sketch. Happy ukulele!

Joan, nice collection of natural objects. Fun diner and Panera Bread sketches.

Robin, I think the knife set came out great! As did your other sketches.

I have a lot of catch-up to do to have 31 ink sketches by October 31. I haven't given up yet, though. We'll see.
#1 "disguise" is a little coin purse of a cat with a unicorn horn. Sketch wasn't that great, so I figured I'd explain.
20221023_175756 (Custom).jpg

20221023_181603 (Custom).jpg

20221024_185518_2 (Custom).jpg

what you are publishing is beautiful.
I haven't done any new drawings yet, from tomorrow I have to choose some subjects and start.

Robin, where was the doll collection? I like your two bathroom scenes. The mirror in the second one is great. Knives in a block are hard to draw...odd perspectives.

Ai, fun sketch of the students.

8 - dark, damaged section of a tree - assorted inks

IMG_1121.jpeg

9 - makes me happy (beautiful autumn scenery) - direct watercolor

IMG_1119.jpeg

Somehow I missed a few people.
Angela, I missed your sketches. You are getting there. Glad you are finding objects for the hunt that you can do in ink!

Joe, hope to see your sketches soon.

Ai, I just had to comment on your outstanding sketches and those of your friends. Thanks ever so much for sharing your life and culture with us!

EP - nice set, I know you love your ukelee- it shows in your frequent sketches. I love mine too. I went thru a thing for a couple weeks where I drew the stuffed animals on my bed every morning. It felt so great and looking at the sketches now I see how much I enjoyed that. For a while I drew squirrels and then seemed like every time I went outside squirrels came around....really.....happened too with praying mantis this summer.

Joan - great work. the straw doll collection are on page with people standing at counter in Mexican restaurant. Quick sketch/short wait time for take out. I love sketching people in public but sometimes they look a little uncomfortable so I turn and sketch something else. You manage to get succinct details and your scenes look full and connected....like this coffee & sweet roll sketch.

Ai - I love your student sketches the concentration is thick and intense in your sketch....really nice

Angela - your sketches are charming. the kitty purse is sweet but my favorite is the tape....it carries all the intense, serious weight of duct tape.

Joe 1, Joe FL, Joy - Hi...hope you can sketch a little something

JoC - YES!!! hanging with art buddies is always good especially when not sketching, sharing space is important down time.....hope you get to sketch something to share.

Thank you for your kind words: Joan, Joy, Robin, EP, Joe1, AMO, and Jo.

Today our family dashed out for lunch at a newly open shopping mall, Terminal-21 at Rama3, not far from where we live and work. The kids have 2 more rest days before their school restarts again. I also wanted to be there to scout some mall decoration props or small corners for my future sketch, as the mall is designed based on tourism attraction scheme : i.e., Japanese floor, Paris floor, Italian floor. At lunch, we were lucky to get a window side food court table overlooking ChaoPhraya river. So I did the sketch in 10 min. while Tone went to get food as people were waiting to get our table.

#11 Window/view from window .... Pentel Fude Touch calligraphy pen... BTW, the view shows one of our big suspension bridge over our ChaoPhraya river in a distance.

h43_window_a.jpg

h43_window_b.jpg

h43_window_c.jpg

Last edited:
Joan, interesting detail on the tree with the carved letters/words. Beautiful foliage.

Joy, hello.

Robin, thanks.

Ai, I like the use of color in your window view.

I am starting to really miss color. Nine more to go if I'm to finish my self-imposed Inktober challenge. I had two gel ink pens when I started; one died yesterday. (Of course I have other pens, though.)
Thing that makes me happy is coffee. Cup is wonky. It is tasty is Japanese Seven Spice. I've drawn a similar spice jar before with much better results.
20221025_195659 (Custom).jpg

20221025_201542~2 (Custom).jpg

20221025_203528~2 (Custom).jpg

Joan, Ai, Amo, other splendid works.
I have tried this
1 it is in the kitchen, the sink and the stove.
2it is located in the bathroom, the dispencer
3rd gift from mother nature, they are mandarins

i used a4 paper and the blue pen
sorry for the photo, it turned out badly.

2022-10-26 11-31_pagina_1.jpg

Joy, good to see your face here. It has been a while.

Robin, do you ever show the people the sketches you've done of them? I do once in a while and they are usually super excited and want to take a photo of it. It makes me feel good.

Angela, you are so clever to use the hangar for triangular...duh!!! I must have a zillion of them around and it never crossed my mind. Seven spice tea sounds great, especially in the wonky mug.

Joe, I like your soap dispenser and the mandarines lined up in front of your kitchen sketch.

10 - pile of junk in the middle of the weeds between the buildings - ink
IMG_1124.jpeg

Joan, love the Panera coffee and bagels. Yummm. I like the signs and people, too. The tree damage is very well done. Interesting carvings. Pretty autumn scenery. Your pile of junk looks very nice and inviting between the buildings. Ha. Clever.

Robin, fun with the people and the doll collection. Beautiful necklace and the cactus pups are cute. Nice double sink view and the knife set is great. Love your hatching always.

Ai, good for you for catching more students. Wow. Love the terminal sketches and the photo of you!! Cool.

amo, your disguise made me laugh. The window view is great and clever for dark. Thanks for the cup for my collection. The spice sounds yummy. Clever for triangle ... I can never think of anything.

Hi Joy.

joe1lt, awww, nice kitchen scene and pump bottle. Not easy to capture.

We went for our annual check ups and I saw this fountain. I thought that "unusual" was on the list. Turns out it was "usual". So this is a sub. The fountain is flat on the wall and water runs down the dark rock. The pillar in front has mirrors on it. I just sketched the fountain.
csshfl43usual.jpg

And a photo
usual-photo.jpg

Today I took a leave day to go sketch out as it is the midterm exam week at our Univ. I have no class to teach this week. It turned out to be a very high energy sketching day for me and my lovely art troops from Thai-Isarn food dish... to Waffle Cafe ... to Classic Car Cafe. All sketch works done in directwatercolor.

#12 keep me warm (or hot) ... super hot Thai dishes
#13 library ... is the name of the cafe that made the green pulled-upward waffle
#14 unusual ...a Thai cafe & bistro with several classic cars...

h43_food2_a.jpg

h43_food2_b.jpg

h43_food2_c.jpg

h43_ClassicCars.jpg

h43_ClassicCars_b.jpg

Jo, I like your unusual fountain...better than usual. lol

Angela, your socks look nice and warm. Nice ink sketches of the pencil and the nuts.

Ai, I see you've found a food sketching group. What made the waffles green? They look so unusual. How fun to have the old cars to sketch.

11 - disguise (scarecrow disguised as a unicorn) - ink

IMG_1129.jpeg

12 - usual autumn colors - direct watercolors

IMG_1127.jpeg

Joan : Thank you so much ... Me and my art friends are members of BangkokSketchers. Some close friends member can go sketch together in either landscape or food subject matter. We are very lucky to have such relationship. Lovely Halloween decoration in ink ... gorgeous fall colors

#15 Square shape -- a kind of Thai sweet.... done in directwatercolor ... the white part consists of coconut milk, salt, and rice flour.... the colorful ball parts contain the coconut shaving preserving with soft coconut palm sugar. The green was the pandan leaves made into small square basket.

h43_squareShape.jpg

Last edited:
thanks.
Joan, wonderful ink drawing of buildings and junk. super fun number 11, spectacular autumn painting.
Jo, wonderful fountain

Angela, the pencil and the shading are great, very beautiful all the drawings.
Ai, paint wonderful Thai dishes and cars. super appetizing sweets with a square shape.

4 it is tasty, they are sweets that the pastry shops make them only at this time of the year, they make them for the day of the dead and in the region, city of my mother.

2022-10-28 15-51.jpg

Joe1: Thank you. Great yummy sketch of italian treat... Do you have its name in italian, can I get it in Rome or any city in Italy ?

hi Ai, thank you, happy that you like the draw , and also the dessert, yes, the name is: ' le ossa dei morti ' la traduzione credo sia : the bones of the dead ...., yes it is a particular name for sweets, and that are made at this time of year, and for they have this aspect, color, and name, and why they do them, in view of November 2, the day of the dead, my mother had often told me about them but I had never seen them before, in Rome they would not be found, but they are in Sicily, I believe that in Sicilian cities, in all Sicilian cities they are found, but they are only found in this period of the year, this version they told me is the soft one, while others can be very hard, it is not the favorite dessert of mom but in her area they make lots of sweets and they are really spectacular sweets, but, I looked for the photos and actually in the other versions they are very different and have the shape of hands, feet, bones, sweet and particular, however they smell very good, not they are tough but very good and theirs story I think is very beautiful and interesting, they have an incredible tradition. however if you do not find these desserts, I am sure that you will still find some wonderful desserts, so in any case when you go to Italy, go to a pastry shop, regardless of the time of year and the city, depending on you will find something, if in Sicily you ask the cannoli and the granita, the cannoli are famous, the granita perhaps less but it is even better.

Joe1: Thank you. 4 years ago, my family briefly visited Rome and Venice. I don't know when we can afford for another Italian trip ... but at least Italy has always be my bucket list to visit. I will jot down your info. and hope one day I can make it to Sicily.

Back