Scavenger Hunt from Life #26: May30 - Jun 7

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #26: May 30 - Jun 7

Doorway
Comfy chair
Small appliance
Mug
Pie plate
Mousetrap
From bedroom
Something that hangs
Door latch
Steps
In the car
Overhead
Hand
Mini
Maxi
Bird
Shelf
Out a window
In a bottle
Cold
Warm
From a closet
Storefront
Mailbox
Art tool
Yard Art

Have fun.

Last edited:
I edited the list to add 5 more items, I only put 21. That is why I should stick to alphabetical lists. Ha. Have fun, sketch as much as you can! Even if you don't comment, we like to see your sketches.

Jo - Thanks for the new hunt, looks good! We have a holiday weekend coming up, (Queens Birthday) so hopefully I'll have time to do some hunt sketches, this time.

I decided to sketch in the regular sketchbook with a Micron 02.
Number 1, Steps - Gene's steps

csshfl26steps.jpg

Jo nice work on Gene's legs!
EP great drawing on all of them especially the iron and your wonky mug. Your comfy chair looks SO comfy!

I am now without my laptop computer, as it threw a fit and its in the repair shop trying to be repaired! I have only my phone to post with now, so please forgive any typing errors (my screen is very small!!!)

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #26: May 30 - Jun 7

Doorway
Comfy chair
Small appliance
Mug
Pie plate
Mousetrap
From bedroom
Something that hangs
Door latch
Steps
In the car
Overhead
Hand
Mini
Maxi
Bird
Shelf
Out a window
In a bottle
Cold
Warm
From a closet
Storefront
Mailbox
Art tool
Yard Art

Have fun.
Fun it will be. Thanks for the great list

EP, love the colorful marker sketches. I especially like the mug! Your chair looks like i would like it.

Welcome Vivian and JennieJo.

Thanks for the list Jo.!!!

Jo: I ditto EP... cool legs. Wow... the birdnest is superb... love everything of it: colors, texture, background, and light.

EP: Fantastic of elegant lines and happy color set of sketches. I love them all.

Jo - Brilliant work on the birds nest! Pastel is certainly the perfect medium for you!

hi friends, nice list Jo.....can’t wait to get sketching....an gonna try and go digi this time.....

Yay, Robin. Digi time! Hope to see some pink ink as well. I'm smiling.

Hi Ai and Vivien. Thanks.

JO, thanks for the list. Jo, fantastic start of the hunt, nice pen drawing, and the nest is spectacular.
Eyepaint, beautiful hunting start, they are all very beautiful and I really like the effect of the colors you got.

Jo - thank you for the new list! You've been busy - love the sketch of Gene walking, you made each one different! Your bird's nest is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous!

EP - you've been busy too, I see. Nice work with your inks and markers - your mug is especially cute, but they are all colorful and well done.

We're off to a great start. :)

joe1lt and Terri, thanks. Looking forward to some sketches.

I sketched on my iPad with the App, Brushes, and the Apple pencil. Took forever and still wonky. Oh, well.
Number 3, comfy chair - Gene's old recliner - hard to give up

csshfl26chair.jpg

Did I say fun! Sketching is fun. Sharing not so much. Ignore numbers on sketches, some didn't make the cut!
1. door latch 2. above (fan) 3. mini (finger nail)
IMG_20220602_073101_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20220602_073143_1-01.jpeg

Fun it will be. Thanks for the great list

Jo, thanks for the new list. Clever sketch for steps! That nest looks so great in pastel. What a nice treasure to have for future sketches too. Looks like a very comfy chair, nicely done digs.

Vivien, I hope you get some sketches done during the holiday...big excitement.

EP, love your group of sketches. My iron would be dusty too. lol Good doorway and comfy chair.

Hi, Ai, Robin, Joe1 and Terri!

JennieJo, I like your door lock. Hope the fan is keeping you cool. Good thinking of a fingernail for tiny.

1 - steps - direct watercolors
2 - doorway

IMG_0118.jpeg

3 - comfy seat (I would assume the owner thinks that. He looked very comfy when he rode away.) - ink

IMG_0120.jpeg

4 - overhead utility wires - direct watercolors

3.jpeg

Back