Scavenger Hunt from Life #87: Oct 9 - Oct 17

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Hi, Robin's name was up again so soon, must have been an error. I'm re-posting Robin's Hunt #41.

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #87: Oct 9 - Oct 17

curve
makes a sound
keys
from the fridge
ear
mouth
hair accessory
lamp
cup
tube
seasonal
bell
doorknob
indicator/gauge
free space
carries/holds art materials
measuring tool
viewed from directly above
viewed from the side
viewed bottom or underneath
magazine advertisement
put in ear
put on hand or finger
has odd outline
bigger than a bread box
something blue

That’s it friends......looking forward to your sketches. (from Robin)

#1 drawing magazine ads...done with wc pencils (used dry) + ink

1000021327.jpg

Ai - Colorful ad! Looks like you had fun with it.

joan - see free space…post all you want. Nothing is off topic with free space. Plus nothing wrong with repeat posts of a hunt item. 😎

Keep sketching
Fletch

Hi friends, sorry to have fallen short again….days are pretty intense… his dementia is increasing… goes okay for few days and then one day it gets lowered lower. What other days I signed for you better scratch…. Sorry. I hope to look in now and then…. You all are in my heart. Thanks

Ai such a fun and positive ad. Well done.

Joan, love the canal scene. Repeats of items are always welcome.

Joe, hey there.

I sketched at my desk in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03. My pot of gold for fortune in Inktober Day 10 was on the other side and bled through. Thought I'd let you see the bleed. Paper not good for wet media.
Number 1 carries or holds art materials - wooden box from Bolivia
Number 2 put in ear - ear buds

csshfl87holds-ear.jpg

Last edited:
Fletch, some things are easy to fit in.

Robin, sorry things are so hard right now. Sending vibes that you still have more good days to share. We are thinking about both of you!

Jo, since I am averaging two small paintings a day I will try to fit them in some way. Nice box for art materials. I hate that my ear buds can’t be used with my iPhone. They change things too quickly for me.

Ai, nice curves on the plate and cup.

1- curved arch - watercolors and ink
IMG_3623.jpeg

2 - lamp - watercolors and ink
3 - viewed from underneath

IMG_3625.jpeg

Jo: Thanks. Wonderful lines in the art storage box and the ear buds. Thanks for showing me how to be natural with ink. I always not that comfortable with it.

Joan: What a perfect place to draw arch from: our beloved Venice. You did so marvelous for all the arches, lamps, stucco/brick wall, shadow... super !!!

Again no time for full comments - sitting in my mobile studio on a cold day...

But wanted to mention to Joan that there are adapters available so you can use your iPhone with standard, wired ear buds, if that is what you wish.

I have one for my iPad Pro but didn't get one for my iPhone.

My iPad needed a "USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack."

However my iPhone 13 would have needed a "Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack".

However, depending on your devices, maybe you would be able to use a single adapter on both your devices.

Here's a screenshot from the Apple Store App of what you may be able to use. However, YOU HAVE TO KNOW IF YOUR DEVICE CONNECTION IS LIGHTNING for example or USB C for example.

IMG_1280.png

‼️ ➡️ If you don't know, post a picture of your CHARGING CORD - BOTH ENDS - and I can probably tell you what kind of headphone jack adapter you need!!! Easy 😄

Hope this helps 🙏☀️

Hi Ai and Pine Cone.

Joan, my iPhone is an antique so earbuds still work. I got some ear phones that don't go in the ear, which I really like similar to these. I didn't find the exact ones I ordered before a little cheaper than these. Gene got these for his trike riding. You can answer phone, listen to podcasts, etc. Still hear noise around you They work through your bones. https://shokz.com/
I love your sketches. They don't have to fit exactly to the list as you know! Wonderful arches. Thanks for taking us to Italy!!

I sketched on my footstool, a little damp on the porch. No rain but wet out....With a Micron 03 in the BookFactory sketchbook.
Number 3 from the side - worst sketch ever of Gene, chair and table. He may quit being my model. Ha. He is wearing a patch so his better eye isn't distracted by the bad eye with his Glaucoma.
Number 4 bigger than a breadbox - Loblolly pines doubling as Inktober Day 11 wander (down the path)
csshfl87from-side.jpg

csshfl87ink11bigger.jpg

P.S. to Joan — Don't be put off by the word "headphone" in the adapter title...... the adapter works with earbuds too, and that is what I'm currently using. I hate earbuds, but my headphones finally died before I became homeless, and these earbuds are all that's left, may Universe have mercy LOL 😄

Jo - great ink work. Neat storage box. Thought Gene was looking taller and more fit. 😎 Like how you do trees in ink.

Ai -plenty of curves in tea cup. Nice job.

Joan - You picked a great palette. Love the colors in the first one but the arch one draws me in. Nice work!

Pine Cone - think we need to give you a new title “Resident Apple Product Advisor” 😎

Robin - You are both in our thoughts and prayers. You will be missed but will know you are lurking as you can so pop in whenever.

#1 lamp
#2 curve - vase
#3 free space - coyote
Looking for something I have not drawn before and saw this group on the end table and decided to try. Went with 9x12 because of all the detail most of which I implied rather than actually drew. Took longer than it looks.

IMG_2037.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

edited to add After posting noticed it needs a lot of cleanup. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back