Scavenger Hunt from Life #64: June 27 - July 5

jmfletch

• Scavenger Hunt from Life #64: June 27 - July 5

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
    The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
    https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
    *All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
    *Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
    *You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
    *All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
    *Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
    *Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
    *Have fun!
    *** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt # 74 June 27

Summer related
    Flag
    Red
    White
    Blue
    Church/Temple
    An out building (like a barn or a shed)
    Old shoe
    Body of water
    Something from kitchen
    Something from bedroom
    Something from living room/Family room
    A keepsake
    A piece of jewelry
    Something you recently found
    Money (paper or coin)
    Floral
    Candlestick
    Yard
    Crystal
    Rock
    Hot
    Something wedding related
    Something old
    Something new
    Something borrowed

** Remember… an object can only count as 1 item. E.g. A flag cannot count as red, white and blue.😇

Challenge:
    1 Use 2 or more associations. List your associations.
    Example: candlestick - candle - light - lightbulb
    Draw a lightbulb and list the 3 associations
    2 Use 3 or more objects in a composition.
    .C

• Keep sketching
  • Fletch

Well just jumped in.
#1 Money (some coins)
#2 Summer related. This one is funny, as my braid and my cap are my identity signs
IMG_20230627_192607_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230627_192639_HDR.jpg

Fletch, thanks for the list. Looks like maybe I can find some items. Evil grin.

Bghisly, great start. First one! I like the money, I've never seen Euros. Your cap is fun and a good find. Like the shading.

Jo, no? I'm so used to them. Here's a pic of some I have on my wallet. There's the 2 euro, and the 5 cents missing as I don't have any right now. But on the drawing I chosen a belgian one, a french one, and an euro.
IMG_20230627_200535_HDR.jpg

Bghisly and daughter - lovely coins and hat

Here are my sketches from a waiting room today. These are in ink, 5x8" page

1. white - plant pot
2. blue - pants on a figurine
3. floral - floral bouquet on the shelf
4. something new (to me) - display cabinet in waiting room

hunt74-10.jpg

5. Summer related - sunglasses and sandals

hunt74-11.jpg

Cheers,

I am on a short business trip to receive a research award in another Univ. up north of Thailand. Today I managed to stop at this amazing mountain top artisticlly done colorful mosaic, called PhaKaew Temple....all done in directwatercolor

#1 Church
1000015285.jpg

1000015290.jpg

#2 Out building

1000015275.jpg

1000015274.jpg

#3 sub. yard with this back area of the temple's canteen overlooking the valley

1000015230.jpg

1000015223.jpg

Fletch, thanks for the new list.

Bghisly, congrats on posting first. Nice work on the coins, but the softness and shape of the cap is just great!!

EP, good use of your wait time. How great that there was a display case with so much to sketch. I like your summer items!

Ai, I almost missed your sketches of the temple buildings and the area. Wonderful that there are so many colorful places for you to sketch as you travel for work.

1 - front yard - direct watercolor
IMG_2797 (1).jpeg

Bghisly - Nice job on the coins. Love the shading on the cap. Thanks for the coin photo. I am with Jo. Never saw Euros before either.

EP - Great finds in the waiting room! Sandals and sunglasses definitely say Summer, Like the pen hatching.

Paul - have my fingers crossed for you getting back to a routine that includes art.

Ai - I laughed when you labeled the first one Church as when I was making the list I added “/Temple” hoping you would find a beautiful one to paint. You did! Thank you for sharing so much of your culture and beautiful country. Outbuilding is gorgeous. Enjoy your trip.

Joan - my first thought was ”It looks like grass needs mowing.” 😁 Once again looking at so many shades and tones of green.

jo - waves

Keep sketching
Fletch

EP, fun shelf in the waiting room. Nice finds there. Good hatching and dabs of color. Love the sunglasses and toe of your shoe.

Ai, such beautiful sketches. So pleased to accompany you on your journeys around your world. Thank you.....

Joan, I do like your front yard. You always capture fences in a most convincing way.

Of course I sketched on the porch in the Ohuhu sketchbook with Ohuhu pens and some watercolor.
Number 1 - Summer related

csshfl74summer.jpg

Fletch, the grass did need mowing, but it is a relaxed area by the water and I think getting out on their boat is the #1 concern. lol

Jo, great summer related items sketched from the porch. Nice job!!

Tonight Sayville had their first outdoor concert of the summer. Yay!!! "Strange Magic" is an ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) tribute band and several members of my sketch group met there to sketch tonight. I sketched this on site but then it started to rain and I had to put away my sketchbook before it got ruined. Most of the color was added at home. The concert did continue and I was very soggy by the end.

2 - summer related - watercolors and ink

IMG_2826.jpeg

Joan, super fine sketch. You are like the plein air painters in Minnesota and other northern locals that go out and hike in the snow to sketch. You are tough! Happy you saved your sketchbook!

I sketched from my desk in the studio looking into the living room. In the big Canson sketchbook, about half a page with Micron 02.

csshfl74living-room.jpg

Jo - Definitely summery. Like the light background to make feeders and plant really pop. Nice line work on living room.

Joan - Great sketch. Glad you saved the sketchbook and enjoyed the show regardless of the weather. Really like the back of the guy in the foreground.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Jo, rain is definitely a problem when sketching. I draw the line at a winter hike to go sketching. lol Nice sketch in your studio. I see a little of your shelf making an appearance.

Fletch, thanks. I used artistic license and left out the rows of people between that guy and the performers on the stage. The lighting and the smoky atmosphere they created (so the lazer lights would show better?) made it difficult to see the other musicians. The sketchbook survived although my backpack was very soggy.

3 - flag - direct watercolor (This is my last direct watercolor for the 30 x 30 challenge.)
4 - red stripes
5 - blue umbrella
6 - body of water
IMG_2829.jpeg

Hey Fletch, thanks.

Joan, mmmm. The beach is so great and with no "lines". You have the touch for sure. Sketching in low light is hard, you did great of the musicians.

I went to a painting event at the local restaurant/bar. 602 Brew Pub. You could paint and get a discount on dinner and a free beer. How can I resist. Of course I drink wine. Ha. Gene did too. Good dinner and fun to see some artist friends and meet some new ones. I did a watercolor from a photo for the watermedia challenge here. Before and after dinner. Then I did a quick 10 minute sketch for this Hunt. in a Strathmore journal 9 x 12 inches. It says it is for dry media but I have several watercolors in it. Pretty good.

Number 2, something you recently found - some pub patrons

csshfl74found.jpg

Thanks, Jo. We didn't have the greatest lighting conditions for sketching at the show...smoke, fading evening light, laser beams and then rain. lol I guess we're lucky we didn't have lightning too. Of all the parts of the bar sketch I'm looking at the legs and feet. I find those the hardest to do. You did well.

Back