Scavenger Hunt #101: Jan 28 - Feb 5

Joan T

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #101: Jan 28 – Feb 5

Something round
Something triangular
Something square
Something flexible
Something inflexible
Something sweet
Something sour
Something soft
Something hard
Something smooth
Something rough or textured
Used for grooming
Used for cooking
Used for entertainment
Used for your health
A landscape
A waterscape
Rocks or boulders
Stairs or steps
A building
Something with buttons
Something with snaps
Footwear
An item of clothing
A belt or sash
With a buckle

Challenge #1 - Do two or more items as blind contours.
Challenge #2 - Use three or more items in a still life.

Hi Jo & Pine Cone! Glad you are both here. Hope to see some sketches by everyone soon. I'm heading out shortly to drop off a painting that is going into a group show & then I'm going to sketch somewhere if it isn't raining too hard. If it is, I will have to find something indoors to sketch.

Joan: Thanks for a nice list.

#1 waterscape/pondscape...from a nearby park at my office...waterlily in the pond... directwatercolor...about 20 min.

20240129_095613.jpg

20240129_095546.jpg

#2 landscape ...a walking path from the same park ... directwatercolor

20240129_104610.jpg

20240129_104517.jpg

Last edited:
Ned, glad you're getting started.

Ai, what a lovely pond with the waterlily blossoms! Nice reflections. I like that beautiful landscape too.

Joe 1, good to see you here.

Planned to post this last night, but forgot to click the "post reply." That's so annoying.

One 3 item still life from me.
1 - something round (clementine) - watercolors and ink
2 - something triangular (pie server)
3 - flexible (plastic straw)
4 - inflexible - glass

IMG_4539.jpeg

Hi Everyone
Pine Cone- three sketch events in a row is a good goal….I Too will be glad for us all

Joan thanks for fun list…. Nice lemon and glass. Congratulations on showing. Hope you make a sell. Is it proper to ask what is tha average you ask for a piece?

Ai- wow, lovely 20 minute lily pad sketch…. A lot of calm squeeze in that 20 min sketch.

Ai -- the pond is great, the water looks wonderful. Like the flowers too :)

Joan -- good job on the still life. The straw really zigs or zags. Like the house... I often notice how you put colors in the tree trunks... I think there's some blue and purple or magenta... it makes them look so real.

#1 rocks or boulders, this is where I ate my lunch yesterday, at a beach called "shorttail gulch". Mostly I just wanted to practice perspective.
IMG_1837rs.jpg

photo:
20240128_135453rs.jpg

#2 a landscape, where I hiked today. This place is called Santa Maria beach at Point Reyes Seashore.
IMG_1838rs.jpg

and a photo:
santamariars.jpg

Ned, glad you're getting started.

Ai, what a lovely pond with the waterlily blossoms! Nice reflections. I like that beautiful landscape too.

Joe 1, good to see you here.

Planned to post this last night, but forgot to click the "post reply." That's so annoying.

One 3 item still life from me.
1 - something round (clementine) - watercolors and ink
2 - something triangular (pie server)
3 - flexible (plastic straw)
4 - inflexible - glass

View attachment 38315
Nice!

Ai -- the pond is great, the water looks wonderful. Like the flowers too :)

Joan -- good job on the still life. The straw really zigs or zags. Like the house... I often notice how you put colors in the tree trunks... I think there's some blue and purple or magenta... it makes them look so real.

#1 rocks or boulders, this is where I ate my lunch yesterday, at a beach called "shorttail gulch". Mostly I just wanted to practice perspective.
View attachment 38341
photo:
View attachment 38342

#2 a landscape, where I hiked today. This place is called Santa Maria beach at Point Reyes Seashore.
View attachment 38343

and a photo:
View attachment 38344
Love your rocks Ned!

I took 1/2 day off to an art break in the city eith my art friends.

#3 round...a big saucer
#4 used for health ...herbal flower teapot
#5 inflexible ...3 min hour-glass timer for teatime optimal taste
#6 square ...a square glass teacup

20240130_141913.jpg

20240130_142503.jpg

20240130_143109.jpg

#7 building --Ratchabopit Temple, Banhkok
20240130_131955.jpg

20240130_132318.jpg

#8 soft ...my art friend 3 min.
20240130_123232.jpg

Ai, thanks. I like your continuous line sketch of the teapot and timer. Wonderful work on the colorful temple with the active people nearby. Good direct watercolor of your friend.

Ned, thank you. You are very observant. There is some purple as well as cerulean in the tree trunks. I like to vary the colors. Both of your ink sketches of the coast out there are great. They remind me of driving along the west coast and all the rocky locations up north and those cliffs. Nice!!

Loulou, welcome to the hunts! Thanks for your comments on the work posted. I hope you will join us and sketch too.

Back