Scavenger Hunt from Life #25: May 22 - May 30

Joan T

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

A vehicle
A bottle
A can
A jar
A box – Challenge: with something sticking out
A bag – Challenge: with something sticking out
Something with a switch
Something with a dial
Something cracked
Something fragrant
Found outdoors
Found indoors
Inside a closet or cabinet
Inside a drawer
Inside your fridge
A landscape
A flower
A tree
A gate or fence
Decorative
A kitchen appliance
A tool
Something used for art
Related to music
Related to cooking
A chair or seat

Thanks for posting the new list, Joan! I went ahead and made it a sticky, just in case I forget tomorrow. :LOL:

2 x inside things. A last remaining kids doll, a wobbly set of coffee tables.

20220522_233243-01.jpeg
20220522_233223-01.jpeg

Number 3 for me. Something music related: cordless headphones.
20220523_000639-01.jpeg

JennieJo - yay for nesting coffee tables!

I started this yesterday (hence the date) and photographed it this morning. 5x8" page, ink and marker.

1. vehicle (poorly drawn - aaaaaah - I need more practice)
2. tree (a magnolia tree with only a few blossoms remaining - most have turned into green leaves)
3. landscape

hunt-25-01.jpg

Cheers,

#1 found indoor ... my glasses case ... done with cp
#2 with crack ... ... our heirloom southwest clay flute... so no one can blow it. We received as a gift.... done with OP

h25_indoor_broken.jpg

Joan, thanks for the new list. I might have to go outside. Ha.

JennieJo, love the "old doll", cute. Nice job on the nesting tables and headphones. Is the color oil pastel?

EP, ohhhh, love the colorful landscape. I think we get our vehicles at the same used car lot! Magnolia trees are so beautiful. Didn't know they would grow up north.

Ai, nice shading on the glass case. Too bad the flute is not making music. It is making fine art!

JennieJo - yay for nesting coffee tables!

I started this yesterday (hence the date) and photographed it this morning. 5x8" page, ink and marker.

1. vehicle (poorly drawn - aaaaaah - I need more practice)
2. tree (a magnolia tree with only a few blossoms remaining - most have turned into green leaves)
3. landscape

View attachment 21910

Cheers,
Great sketch. Very appealing style. What did you draw with?

Ai - ooh too bad the flute is cracked.
Jo - thank you.
JennieJo - thank you. I draw with pencil and then over that with ink. It is a view I've drawn several times so I'm familiar with the basic parts.

5x8" ink and marker.

4. A bottle - hot sauce
5. A can - 6 bean medley
6. A jar - boullian
7. A box – Challenge: with something sticking out - jello box with emptied jello pouch
8. A bag – Challenge: with something sticking out - knitting project bag with a double-pointed needle sticking out.

hunt-25-02.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks so much EP, and Jo.

EP: Wow... I really love your color combinations. Very well done in composition as well.

Everyone's jumping right in, I see. ;)

Jennie, love your colors on all these! The little doll gave me a smile.

Eyepaint, you're too hard on yourself- I like your blue car! The whole scene with the magnolia tree and house makes a sweet little landscape.

You got busy after that with your cans, jar and the bag - love it!

Ai - your op's look beautiful on the clay flute - sorry it cracked. :( I admire you working with op's in your sketchbook. I love mine, but too messy on the other pages. Yours looks great! Do you spray over them?

JennieJo, congratulations on being the first to post sketches. Love the cute doll! I like the cordless headphones. I have a set but haven't figured out how to use them. I'm tech challenged. lol

EP, what a perky landscape with the car and magnolia tree! Love the colors!! Oh, I love your combination of items in the last sketch. Great jar, bottle, can, box and bag. I love the knitting project bag...not sure what a double pointed needle does. Love the shading and color on these.

Jo, you can probably sketch most of the outside items from the comfort of your porch. :)

Ai, nice shading on your eyeglass case. Oh no...sorry your clay flute is cracked and can't be played any more. Love the design on it.

I went to a meeting of one of my art groups today at a historic local property. A woman from the center there spoke about the history of the property and how it is being improved...and I sketched her and two of our members.
1 - found indoors - water-soluble ink

IMG_0058.jpeg

Then I stopped at a local carnival near me.
2 - found outdoors - watercolors and ink

IMG_0057.jpeg

Ai - thank you
Terri - thank you
Joan - thank you. I was incorrect - this is not a double pointed needle, it's a circular needle. Allows you to work on much wider projects than on a regular 12" or 14" needle, and also allows you to work on knitting in a circle. A set of (usually 5) double pointed needles are used to work on circular items like socks, leg warmers, or hats. Great colours in the art group meeting. Yay for the ticket to ride booth :) What ride does such a ticket buy?

Joan, JennieJo, Ai, Ep - what great sketches! I love everyone's work on the Scavenger Hunts.!

Heres my first for this Hunt
1. In a bag - a potplant i was given as a gift for my birthday in a Cellophane bag. Had problems rendering the clear cellphone, didn't have a clue how to paint it.
20220523_142248.jpg

You got busy after that with your cans, jar and the bag - love it!

Ai - your op's look beautiful on the clay flute - sorry it cracked. :( I admire you working with op's in your sketchbook. I love mine, but too messy on the other pages. Yours looks great! Do you spray over them?
Thanks Terri, I don't do OP as often medium. But if I do, I usually drawn on right page so the left empty page will be closed down on it, to cover my small OP sketch. So most of the time I don't spray on my small sketch of OP. However, if I instead do soft pastel or charcoal, I will spray over it, as it's more dry powderly... and easier to come out. If I do a bigger piece of OP, I will do as a separate sheet of paper, outside sketchbook... and I might spray it as needed.

Joan, JennieJo, Ai, Ep - what great sketches! I love everyone's work on the Scavenger Hunts.!

Heres my first for this Hunt
1. In a bag - a potplant i was given as a gift for my birthday in a Cellophane bag. Had problems rendering the clear cellphone, didn't have a clue how to paint it.
View attachment 21929
Viv... such a lovely flower sketch. Try to paint one value tone different than the background value, for the case of Cellophane wrap.

Joan: Thank you. Wow such marvelous pieces both indoor people gathering and the happy vivid and vibrant stall.

Back