Scavenger Hunt from Life #99: Jan 14- Jan 21

NedL

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #99: Jan 14- Jan 21

ankle
baseball or brown or bike
cube or club
diamond or dog
elephant
foot or fox
geometric
heart or horse
iron
jingle bell
keyboard
light bulb or lamb or letters
monster or mustard
number
oars
phone or platypus
quick
running
square or stripes or spade or Swiss
tractor or teeth
unicycle
vertebrae
wings or wheels
x-ray
yellow
zebra

These 26 hunt items are all associated with the number 26.

Challenge:
Use 26 lines.
Make your sketch in 26 minutes ( or 26 seconds! )

P.S.
I'll post the "associations" if anyone wants. Some are ridiculous or obscure. I went kind of crazy and overboard with it.

Last edited:
1 - tractor - ink
IMG_4459.jpeg

2 - wings - ink & brush pen
IMG_4458.jpeg

Joan: Great tractor & plane to start this Hunt. Love your hatching in the tractor.

Now I will continue with another vehicle type... but I cannot believe that I forgot my wc set in my tote bag...

#1 iron ...a car at my garage oil-change pitt stop...ink+marker

20240115_113502.jpg
20240115_112555.jpg

Ned you sure did expand the alphabetical list. Looks like fun. Hmmm. I will try to do some sketching.

Joan, tractor and airplane! Wow! Excellent.

Ai, you found a good car scene. You did so well on that, too.

We are in the icebox here so haven't been out of the house. Haven't sketched either, guess the isolation makes me feel I can't move out so can't do anything in either. Ha. Maybe in the a.m. We are around 22º F until Wednesday noonish. Should be 67 on Thursday, then in the 50s so a bit more normal. So far not enough moisture for ice storm, fingers crossed. I'm not complaining too much, the rest of the States are really cold. Hope you all stay safe and warm.

I sketched at the dining table. I can sure tell when I haven't sketched in a while. Where have all my instincts gone? Ha. In the BookFactory sketchbook with Sharpie pen.
Number 1 mustard - a couple of gift jars. Onion one is from last year, now in trash. Cranberry is pretty good, will use that one. Small jars from a gift basket.
Number 2 jingle bells - a red, white and blue wall hanging, metal

csshfl99mustard.jpg

It is 18.3º F this morning. You can see a little ice on the trees, grass and sidewalk. East of us will be having lots of downed trees, etc. We fared well, thank goodness. Will still be freezing until tomorrow but not much moisture with it.

frost-lake.jpg

Ai -- that elephant is wonderful! great job on the direct watercolor fruit, it does look like a smiley face!

Jo -- what I notice when I haven't drawn in a while is that I make more hesitant fussy scratchy lines. Like your sketches. Brrrrrrr! A goal for me is to "simplify" and not fall into fussy detail... I appreciated your comment in the last hunt, I'm making some progress.

Fletch -- to answer your question in the last hunt, photography is a hobby!

My daughter is still here for a few more days home from college, but hopefully I'll find some time to sketch. We had fun at the wildlife refuge but didn't draw ( we saw thousands of birds, but not cranes this time! )

Pine Cone -- Hi! here are the associations! I went kind of crazy with it :)

"26 associations":

26 baseball players on a team
26 red or black cards in a deck ( hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades )
26 is between 25 ( a square ) and 27 ( a cube )
b26 is a Kubota tractor model
26 “sporadic groups” and the “monstergroup is the weirdest
26 is the atomic number of iron
#26 in the NGC is a galaxy in the constellation Pegasus ( a winged horse )
26 letters in English alphabet
e26 is the common light bulb size in the US
26 bones in foot and ankle as seen in an x-ray
26 miles to run in a marathon
26 is a “telephone number” ( number of ways to connect 5 points in pairs )
26 letters in: “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
26 postulates in Euclid’s geometry
26 notes in “jingle bells” chorus and in “mary had a little lamb
26 pairs of chromosomes in a platypus
26 Swiss cantons
Y-26 Copic marker is “mustard yellow
#26 is an “improvisation” painting by Wassily Kandinsky with oars rowing
26 inch wheels are often on a unicycle or bicycle
26 teeth are what elephants usually have
26 stripes per side on a zebra
26 bones (vertebrae) in a spine
#26 Mozart piano concerto has an unwritten keyboard part

Ned — Thanks for the associations 😁 Very very cool 😎 I'm gonna try and figure out some of the ones I don't understand, but then I'll be back to ask about some... my favs right now make me a boringly predictable person, but they are NGC 26 (combining love of my horse with astronomy), and of course zebra stripes!!! But there are so many cool things on the list that they're all gonna be favs as I go along and learn more about them 😂😍😁

Joan — Thanks so much ☺️ Luv your tractor and airplane - they're both very true to life yet a mischievous character seems to shine through in each somehow - amazing 😄

Ai — Hi 👋 Fun view of the car being worked on, with depth coming in the darkening of the interior. Your joyous elephant sketch steals my heart, WOW, beautifully drawn and shaded - fantastic work 🐘 and the fruits look happy and yummmmmy 🍌

JoC — I hope the Weird Weather Blues are soon behind you ☀️ lovely sketches of the bottles and bells, and its fun to see photos of the vista you've sketched so beautifully for us 😂 I'm glad your trees are okay 😅

tl;dr

FWIW, I don't have my iPad with me at the moment because it's so cold, so it's in protective custody at the moment LOL 🥶

1 — geometric (fence with snow and ice on it)

..... freehand
..... non-virtual copy paper
..... Pentel Twist-Erase mechanical pencil
..... .5 HB

..... photographed, cropped and resized on my iPhone using the "Procreate Pocket" app

I've been utterly disappointed with every sketch I've done since coming back to these events a few months ago, so I decided to just try to do a very quiet line sketch to see if I could see what I saw and re-learn how to draw it.

So this is a fence with snow, no shading, no context, just lines. I did some erasing after I sketched it.

IMG_1504.jpeg

Pine Cone -- we were typing at the same time! Like your fence! Brrr. I'm lucky right now, I just got back from a walk at the coast where I had to take off my sweatshirt because I got too warm.

These have become very uncommon. While I was drawing, I realized that I can't remember the last time I saw an actual phone booth.

#1 phone
IMG_1811rs.jpg

Ned, thanks. Luckily I had a stiff brush pen to do the numbers and letters negatively. Thanks for explaining the associations to "26," not that I understand all of them. lol Nice phone booth. They are so rare anywhere now. I do see them on occasion but then if I needed to sketch one I'm sure I wouldn't remember where I saw one. lol

Ai, thank you. Good job on the car. Too bad you didn't have the watercolors too. Love the elephant with the good luck raised trunk. Your fruit looks yummy...and smiley. :)

Jo, gracias. Hope it warms up and inspires you to sketch. ;) Your little jars are interesting. I like the hanging bells. I see you didn't get any snow. Our friends up in Itasca had some. Everything looked white. We may get a little snow thru the night into tomorrow...or sleet...or rain. lol

Pine Cone, good to see you. Nice line sketch of the fence and snow. Like anything practice and back to basics will help you find what you need to "relearn." I'm sure it is still inside you waiting to come out.

Guess where I sketched today. lol
3 - yellow chairs - watercolors and ink
4 - geometric tiles on the floor

IMG_4462.jpeg

#4 geometric -- a floating solar panel station at another campus... fountain pen then wc wash ...I try to draw in those 3 wind turbines too...but the wc messup my lines...oops

20240116_095514.jpg

20240116_095559.jpg

20240116_094226.jpg

Back