Scavenger Hunt from Life #100: Jan 21 - Jan 28

Jo -- the deep reflections in that pastel are gorgeous. I think I'm with Pine Cone, if it were mine I wouldn't wipe it off!

Joan -- that water tank wouldn't be the same without those trees around it. That's really nicely done, You got great strong colors on the condiments. I like that kind of mustard too. If you .ever see the kikoman organic soy sauce, it's worth the extra cost.

Joe1 -- Eeyore is my favorite from winnie the pooh!

The sun was out today so I hiked at a place called Mt. Burdell. This is where I stopped to eat lunch.
#4 landscape
IMG_1831rs.jpg

photo:
IMG_1830rs.jpg

We had a short visit to a farm restaurant. There are some animals at the farm like pigs, goats, chickens, and capybara. I will definitely try to visit this place again...

#6 yellow brown ...chickens
#7 wild ...capybara
#8 ...pig

20240126_175646.jpg

20240126_175432.jpg

20240126_174835.jpg

Pine Cone, hi. I'll save the pastel for you for when you get settled again.

joe1lt, yes, Eeyore is always a favorite. I like your sketches all together.

Joan, thanks, it is hard to sketch the same things over and over. Your condiments are so good. Even the sticker left on the lemon. Yay!!

Ned, the mountains are beautiful. It pays for you to be a hiker!! You live in a beautiful area.

Ai, love your chickens, pig and capybara. Such nice gestures.

We have plumbers coming for the water softener. I think the drain to outside froze and it is full of water so it just needs to be reset. Should be nice today! Hope to sketch....

I sketched and watched TV. Sharpie pen and watercolors in the large Canson mix media book.

Number 8, 9, 10 - zappy (pencil sharpener zaps pencils), unami -soy sauce and free space - eraser

csshfl100unami.jpg

Ned, thanks. Because of the weather I've been sketching from the car, so finding a place to park with a decent view of what I want to sketch isn't easy. I rode up and down all the streets in that area looking for the best view of the tower. I was happy with what I finally found. It needed the trees or there would be too much empty space. What a lovely spot to hike to. Nice view and sketch.

Pine Cone, somehow I missed your last post...and you are right about Jo's pastel.

Ai, love the animal sketches, especially the chickens. I haven't sketched any in a while...much too cold to go looking for them here. I wonder how they stay warm when it is so cold.

Jo, thanks. I follow a woman on IG named "breenseven." She does these wonderful, crazy paintings of all kinds of colorful houses and the other day she posted one of condiments and a streetcar. They are so fun that I tried to do something similar with my painting, but I can never match her looseness. I like your soy sauce bottle. That one is an interesting shape and has good colors. Any time I do something that has Asian writing on it, I wonder if I did the writing correctly enough or did I just write a curse or something nasty. lol

We had another rainy day so I went to the library for a little while. I found a spot up in "the loft" that had some cubbies with a desk and assorted other desks/tables where people were working.
9 - desk/table - watercolors and ink
10 - geometric (windows)

IMG_4516.jpeg

11 - knit hat & sweater (model from Wed night) - graphite

IMG_4508.jpeg

Well, I found an answer about the chickens.

Chickens are well-adapted to survive even very cold winter weather. Their feathers provide excellent insulation, and the birds can fluff their feathers to create an even warmer coat. They may even tuck their bills or feet into fluffy feathers to keep those bare parts warm.

Joan, thanks. You are so right about the writing on things, you never know about copying. I think the same on American Indian artifacts, etc. I rarely copy anything with designs for that reason. I kinda just made some marks, but they could be bad. Not intended, ha.
Your library windows and cubby holes are perfect for geometric. I like your sweater/cap model.
Cold must be really hard on animals. At the ranch in New Mexico we had to break ice on the water tanks for cattle. Horses would break ice if it wasn't too thick, but the cows didn't. So my mom made cookies and we would go around in the pickup and break ice and have coffee and cookies after being out in the cold.

Sorry no time to comment individually… thanks for sharing your work :giggle: (y)

all five min or less except the geometric
1- ink
2 home
3 ocean related model
4 geometric on antiq lamp
5 modern antique jar
IMG_2286.jpeg
IMG_2287.jpeg
IMG_2289.jpeg

Ai, I really like your kitty gestures. Great lines.

Robin, I always like your lines and hatching and colored inks. Fun.

Take care, all y'all.

Jo, how strange that the horses would break the ice but the cows wouldn't.

Joe 1, thanks!

Ai, I love all your cat sketches! You captured them well.
Robin, ink bottles have such nice character. Fun colored ink sketches. Nice home sketches and antique lamp.

I met with the NYC Urban Sketchers at Brookfield Place overlooking the Hudson River. I hadn't been able to sketch with them since before Christmas and I missed it.

12 - blue sky and water - watercolors & ink
IMG_4533.jpeg

13 - Xanadu (a beautiful place) - direct watercolor (This is the inside of Brookfield Place which has shops and a food court area.

IMG_4538.jpeg

13 - ink continuous line done on the Long Island Railroad heading home

IMG_4529.jpeg

Ai, thanks so much for hosting.
The new hunt (#101) is now posted. Hope to see you there.

Joan: Gorgeous sketches. I esp. love the pano water view and the Xanadu ...

Wow, Joan. Nice excursion. I love the continuous line study.

Hi Ai.

See you on the next Hunt.

Wow, I can't believe this is the last day of this event 😳 I'm sorry I never got a chance to write more comments on the wonderful and amazing and fun sketches and photos you guys all posted 🙏

JoC — Thank you so very much for saving that oh so beautiful pastel 😂☀️❤️‍🩹 Misty-eyes... Right now, it doesn't seem that I'll ever be able to accept your offer, but as long as I'm still here to see the sun in the sky, there's hope - and your offer fills me with hope ❤️‍🩹

Joe/Fletch — Happy belated birthday and most of all, I pray you're okay 🙏

Ai — Zowie!!! Thanks for hosting an amazing #100/#800!!! 😂😍☀️ For me, it seemed filled with inspiration and beauty and hope ☀️ And as many of us were having a bit of a rough time with the cold and rain and snow, you gave us warmth of heart and soul to come to each day..... Thank you so much!!!

Back