Scavenger Hunt from Life #100: Jan 21 - Jan 28

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #100: Jan 21 - 28, 2024
----------------------------------------------------------------------
animal
book or blue
can or cup
desk/table
egg/elevate
free choice
geometric (uhm... I continue on this word from Ned's last Hunt.... I really like it.)
home or residence
ink
jar
kitchen/knot/knit
love/landscape
money
nice/night
ocean or river or pond
pen or making mark tool
quad
ring
street
time piece
umami ... (I heard this word a lot in Asian countries ... wonder if it was Japanese's inspired)
vehicle/violet
wild/white
xanadu
yellow/yarn
zappy

PS. -- Feel free to substitute or try an association sequence (i.e. apple -->red --> rose --> flower-->lily ... sketch lily instead)
PSS -- This Hunt marks about 800 sketching scavenger hunts since its start in 2006 by Jamie !!! ... Thanks for being a part of this folks !!! No worry of when you have joined or how many you have drawn... just enjoy the little precious time of our happy art life .... Cheers !!!

Last edited:
BTW, today is my b-day... Yippy... I just have some simple happy time with my little family and with my fun art circle friends (Yes... you are ;-) Thanks for being here.

BTW, today is my b-day... Yippy... I just have some simple happy time with my little family and with my fun art circle friends (Yes... you are ;-) Thanks for being here.
Happy Birthday to you, Ai! 🎂 🥳

Thank you for being here, and sharing so much of your wonderful sketch work with us! ❤️

Happy Birthday, Ai! I was looking for a cake sketch to send to you, but couldn't find a birthday cake. Instead I'm sending you a piece of wonderful Latvian pastry that I sketched when I was there in 2019 (?). Maybe we can all have a bite and celebrate your birthday and Scavenger Hunt #100!
IMG_3473.jpeg

1 - yellow beach grasses - gouache
IMG_4483.jpeg

Last edited:
Ai — Happy Birthday!!! 😂🎂🎉 Zowie !!! 800 !!! So wonderful to be back here with everyone 😍🙏☀️❤️‍🩹 Thank you for hosting this special event, and for a fun list, and kind warm wishes... I'm finishing a sketch but will have to wait til tomorrow or the next day to upload depending on the weather 🥶☀️

Joan — Yummy, I'll have a bite..... ummm, delicious!!! Thank you 😂😍🙏 Beautiful winter beach painting 😌

Joan -- brr that looks cold but wow the gouache looks wonderful!

It was wet and dreary here, but I put some warm colors behind the tree as a kind of "wishful thinking" or "draw what you want to see"... It did stop raining between the ink and the watercolor long enough for a walk though.

#1 free choice
IMG_1817rs.jpg

photo:
IMG_1815rs.jpg

Joan: Thanks for the sweet... and the cold weather in gouache is so awesome. Great start of this Hunt.

PineCone: Thanks. Hope you are OK with the weather.

Ned: Glad you had a chance to record the nature moment despite a bit rain. It is a good life indeed.

Ai, Happy, Happy, Birthday!! Wishing you the best for your new year!!

Thanks for the list. Hope to sketch with pastels in the morning.

Joan, thanks for the pastry, yummy! I like your yellow beach grasses. Nice composition.

Ned, nice free choice. Outside color looks so rich when wet, I can see why you wanted to add some in. Nice work.

Jo -- thanks! Does your tortilla maker brand a "lone star" onto the tortilla??? Curious minds want to know -- and laugh, if it really does :)

#1 sub. animal with a model of Ninja Turtle at our local cafe ...(The owner collects models from Hollywood movies) ... done in brown+black fountain pens

#2 blue -- fountain pen + cp

20240122_142215.jpg

20240122_141919.jpg

20240122_150726.jpg

20240122_150713.jpg

Last edited:
Pine Cone, thanks so much. Glad you like my frosty painting and I appreciate your comments.

Ned, I'm glad you got out and were able to sketch despite the dreary, wet weather.

Ai, thanks. Love the Ninja Turtle and the Super Mouse. Nice to have such fun things around to sketch.

Jo, many thanks for your kind words.

Fletch, according to my records on FB you are celebrating a birthday today. Yay!!! Happy Birthday! I'll give you a tasty donut to celebrate.

0122 donut.jpg

Joan: Thanks...wowza on the yummy donut for
Fletch...

Fletch: Happy Birthday... Wish you endless art energy.

We had a quick stop at our superstore...I walked to their kid's toy vehicle and got this...

#3 vehicle.... done by a gel pen

20240122_205247.jpg

20240122_194706.jpg

Last edited:
Hi art buddies
Ai thanks for new list and historic facts that would have been totally overlooked but for you!! Thank you SO MUCH

love all the sketches….Ned painting in the warm color he desired is a great perk tip to start the day

we are hanging in….cold here hope to sketch today..Did order a book titled Your Brain On Art……(y)

HEEEEEEREs Hoping we all get to sketch something:giggle::giggle::giggle:

NedL, ha. No branding of the tortillas. It is pretty grungy looking after the fire. I use plastic wrap between the old metal and the tortillas!

Ai, ahh, lots of movies represented. I like the turtle, well done. Never saw a Super Mouse before. Clever you to use the toy scooter.

Joan, love the donut and the Happy Birthday to Fletch!! I didn't know about that!

Happy Birthday, Fletch, uh, Joe.

Hey Robin, hope we sketch, too.

👋 Hopefully, comments to follow soon 😌

1 — "book" (cat drawing book)

..... freehand
..... non-virtual copy paper
..... Pentel Twist-Erase mechanical pencil
..... HB .5

This was a fav book of mine, especially the cover, but I never drew any cats because I was afraid of not living up to what my real cats were like (all 4 in Heaven now). But I saved it from the destruction of my life, and I decided that I should finally learn to draw cats as part of trying to renew some kind of artistic life, and re-learn drawing.

Here's why only part of the cat on the cover is drawn..... Baby steps..... I was trying out the author's triangle-method suggestion by sketching ONLY the eyes and nose (triangle) of the cat on the cover (but pretending it wasn't scrunched against a couch) (but it still got a little scrunched LOL). But when I re-read Ai's list, I realized that if I drew the cover around it, the sketch would work for the Scavenger Hunt and it felt kinda cool to be sketching a cat, finally, on the 100/800 event!!! 😂😍😁

This morning, I decided to scan it instead of photograph it. But since I'm homeless, I had to scan it on other people's equipment. Didn't scan very well. Although I tried my best in ArtStudio Pro, all my lightest shading was completely left out of the scan and could not be retrieved by ArtStudio Pro. No biggie tho.

Here's a pic of the actual book (from Amazon).....

IMG_9491.jpeg

and here's a direct link to the book on Amazon.....

and here's my sketch.....
IMG_9488.png

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Ai and Fletch.
thanks for new list.
Jo,Joan,Pine Cone ,NedL,Ai ,wonderful job.
Ai, nice ninja turtle ,Leonardo,my favorite ninja turtles, nice model.
oh SupermanMickeyMouse 😃

Ai, good thinking for a place for some of the items. I looked recently in the toy section because "monster" was on one of the lists. I couldn't find one. lol

Robin, stay warm. It is hard to sketch when you're thinking about being cold.

Jo, I saw I had wished Fletch a Happy Birthday on this date cause it popped up in my memories. Love your rich colors in the still life. Well done!

Pine Cone, glad you were able to scan the cat sketch. I'm not good at sketching animals...maybe because I never have any around me. You did pretty well on the triangular part of his/her face.

2 - pond at a golf course - gouache (I'm not sure if it was an actual pond or the remains of recent flooding since this area was pretty close to the bay.

IMG_4487.jpeg

Jo -- like the colors in that pastel, especially the burgundy color of the jar and the reflections are great.

Ai -- those are fun "action figures" I like the motorbike too!

Pine Cone -- good job on the "triangle" part of the face. Glad you got to sketch ( and scan too! )

Fletch -- Happy birthday 🎂🥳.

Joan -- another great gouache. Do you find yourself still working from light to dark because you are so used to it?

#2 ocean ( this is called "pinnacle rock" at a beach called "pinnacle gulch" )
IMG_1823rs.jpg

Back