Scavenger Hunt from Life #122: Jul 14 - Jul 22

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life #122: Jul 14 - Jul 22
Abode
Bipod
Cable
Decal
Exit
Face
Grate
Hatch
Inertia
Juice
Kite
Latch
Mail
Nail
Origami
Pair
Quadpod
Radio
Smile
Taped
Ugly
Vast
Window
X-acto
Yard
Zigzag

Challenge: Use 3 or more in a composition.

Substituting permitted. If you substitute try using associations and tells the sequence that got you to what you drew.

Hope I figured this right. Should be early Sunday morning for Ai and others on the other side of the world.

Fletch

Sketched on my iPad with the app Brushes
Number 1 nail
csshfl122nail.jpg

jo - Great start! Excellent line quality which is not always easy with digital.

Ai - Glad you got the list "ontime"
:cool:

Keep sketching
Fletch

Hi, everyone!!!

Fletch, thanks for the new list. I will get to work on it.

Jo, congrats on posting the first sketch of your hand with the fingernails showing. Nice digital!

#1 yard ...yard-->back garden>plants>dragon fruit cactus vine>... directwatercolor

1000002602.jpg

1000002603.jpg

Fletch, thanks. It definitely takes longer to do a digital drawing.

Thanks, Joan. We have drawn lots of hands. I have begun to like drawing them.

Ai, mmmm, love the vine and blossom. Nice to see where the fruit comes from.

Ai, I love the sketch of the dragon fruit cactus. I've never seen it growing before. You show us so many unusual things.

Ai, I am with Joan. I have never seen one growing. Thank you. Love the 2 page spread to capture the look.

#1 hatch Not much but I Drew! 😂 full page in A5ish size sketchbook using F graphite. Since image is not necessarily clear. It is an attic access hatch in my closet ceiling.

IMG_2628.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch -- thanks for the list, and nice 3 or 4 tones on the folded clothes on top shelf. Yep "at least I drew"... doing better than me on that!

Ai -- wow I've seen dragonfruit, but had no idea they came from a cactus like that. Very cool.

Jo -- nice digi-sketch hand!

Everyone -- hi! 👋

My wife and daughter just left a few minutes ago to drive home. We had a good time. I'll be here by myself for a couple weeks, and plan to get in some good long walks, some fishing, some chores around here, and hopefully some sketching too :) Copying the list now to put into my pocket sketchbook!

Fletch, I recognized the attic access hatch. Good job! The clothes on the shelf are a good indication too. lol

Ned, sounds like you're in a good spot to do some things you enjoy on your own for a bit. Good idea to put the list into your pocket sketchbook. Have fun...and I wish you success with your fishing, chores, and sketching.

I'm taking part in a local plein air event. We have until July 25 to paint in the selected area. I did one painting yesterday of the Bellport Historical Society building. Today was just too hot and humid to go out and paint for any length of time.
1 - windows - watercolor
2 - front garden

IMG_5631.jpeg

Ned - Good luck fishing and with chores. Hope you get to sketch. If it’s not on the list use some free association or just post and we will figure one out for you.

Joan - What blue did you use for the building? It is a beautiful hue of blue. Knowing your attention to detail I wondered about the sloped roof notching to the top of the wall? An addition or just strange design?

Keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks all, Joan, Ned, Fletch, and Jo for your kind words.... Sorry I have been super busy again to clear all my work duty before taking a six-day leave. ... but this time I have not much time to pack ...so no time for me again to convert the kido Prang wc set into the professional paint set that I want in time for our trip (tomorrow)... so I will be using my usual suspect... well may be the tools are not the main concern but the main concern should be at me getting to see things and jotting things down and being grateful of these little opportunities that I will be there with all my family, the 4 musketeers.

Hope my next batch of sketches will be interesting to you......for once I will need to use my passport... . Cheers.

Fletch: Super cute hatch you did... just sketch when you can.... great job... BTW, my dragon fruit sketch was on a small acordian sketchbook. I still have 5 more pages folded away...

Joan: Wowza on the home plus garden... the home owner should be lucky to have you sketch their yard.

Ned: Hope you have a great time to yourself doing things you love, including sketching... Cheers.

Jo: Hello. Love your golden hand to start this Hunt.

Fletch, for the building I think I used cerulean mixed with a little indigo. I darkened it a bit since the photo I posted.

Ai, I hope you are going someplace exciting that you get to use your passport. Can't wait to see...

It is very hot here so I've been spending most of my time at the community pool. I'm in the water most of the time so I'm not sketching there. When the temps drop a bit I have to go back and paint again for the plein air event I'm involved in. Luckily we have until next Wednesday to have one piece ready to hang in the show. I usually do a few so I have a choice of what I'm putting in.

I saw this in the back of a parking lot yesterday. I'm not sure what it was but it intrigued me so I had to sketch it.
3 - ugly - watercolors and ink

IMG_5638.jpeg

4 - zigzag (leaves & flowers) - direct watercolor

IMG_5636.jpeg

Joan: Thanks... I am smiling looking at your great sketch of the "ugly" thing.... Lovely flower pot, with the clever zigzag mind too.

Back