Scavenger Hunt from Life#117 -- June 4-12, 2024

Jo, thanks so much! McD's is Jerry's favorite place for breakfast...those sausage and egg McMuffins call him. lol

Ai, I'm smiling looking at your sketch of the water-aerobics in the pool. How fun!!

WOW Not log on for a few days and visual wonders appear!

Joan, the nature painting needs to be framed. Amazing. Seeing all the clothes under a canopy, all I could image was hauling all that clothing in and out. The digital may have been tough but came out as a fun beach sketch. Great job on the car and the motorcycles. The geese and the arches again contrast in styles.

Ned, getting addicted to your rocky coast renderings. The solar graphs are freaking amazing. I especially like the recent Dragon’s Tooth Beach one and.solstice to solstice ones. But they are all pretty amazing.

Ai, fruit looks ready to eat. The water aerobics group looks fun. The bowl of jasmine brought back memories. There were jasmine growing outside our bedroom windows in Hawaii. The smell was wonderful. Thank you.

Jo, you play in the dust and I drool. Think this is a candidate for 2025. Beautiful.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, the water aerobics makes me smile. Lovely drawing. A good way to have a seminar, relax and work.

Joan, we had homemade McMuffins this morning with Spam. Learned to like fried Spam on the ranch where we couldn't get fresh ham or sausage. Canned hams and Spam! Gene said, "Good for Jerry."

Fletch, ah, thank you. I need to paint more, I really like pastels.

Ai -- those fruit direct watercolors are so good. Water aerobics made me smile... I can almost sense the movement!

Joan -- is 30x30 one of those Marc Taro Holms "challenges"? Good start! I like the beach digi-sketch! I was at the beach yesterday too but was fishing... walked a long ways casting w/ no bites. The point of fishing, at least for me, isn't to catch fish but an excuse to be somewhere you want to be -- and something to do while you are there! Got home late :)

Jo, Fletch -- thanks.. It's just a fun thing, opening them is like opening a surprise gift, Every once in a while there is a gem.

Fletch, thanks so much. The painting probably will go into a frame for the show that our plein air group does every year...It is a contender. lol

Jo, lol Jerry says that nothing can beat that taste. I like them too, so I don't give him a hard time when he wants to go. He also loves Burger King whoppers, but I don't share his love of them.

Ned, Uma Kelkar and Marc Taro Holmes usually host the 30x30 Watercolor Challenge. I've seen Uma posting on the page, but haven't seen Marc post anything for this challenge. I'm sure he will pop in at some point.

I was out painting today, but didn't take photos of the pieces of yet. Maybe I'll post them later.

#2 nature -- manzanita ( ink, ink wash, WC paper palette ) I think my pen is running low... it didn't feel smooth.
IMG_1919rs.jpg

photo:
20240608_145125rs.jpg

Ned, nice work on the trees along the path. Did you sketch this along your hike today?

I went to Port Jeff with a friend today to paint. It was a beautiful day.
11 - signs - watercolors and ink

IMG_5464.jpeg

12 - you sit on them (chairs) - direct watercolor

IMG_5462.jpeg

#4 building...the ticket office of a farm cafe, enroute back to our home from HuaHin....directwatercolor, about 35 minutes.

1000001125.jpg

1000001108.jpg

Ai, what a fun shaped building! I am assuming it is a direct watercolor. You have patience to wait for the initial paint layer to dry before you add all the details. I am not always patient enough. lol Great job!

Ned, super job on the manzanita. Red bark, pretty. It looks a little like the creosote in New Mexico but they have black trunks/stems. Sometimes when the ink is going the lines kinda break for a good landscape.

Joan, you can tell it was a pretty day from your pretty sketches. Love all the detail with the climbing vine on the building. And you can never go wrong with umbrellas. Lovely.

Ai, what a fun building. You get an award for the most unusual building this Hunt! You did well with direct wc as well.

As usual on the porch but on my iPad with the Brushes app.
Number 2 You sit on this - Gene's chair. It was too warm for him this morning.

csshfl117seat.jpg

I played in pastels yesterday and today. I started this yesterday and took a break. Abandoned it and put the celery away very late but it survived to finish the sketch today.
Number 3 pan, Number 4 cup, Number 5 spatula, Number 6 spoon and Number 7 vegetable -- pastels on wiped off Art paper maybe

csshfl117pan-cup.jpg

Jo, nice work on the chair, and super still life with your trademark red pan. I like the wooden spoon and spatula in the mug.

13 - free space #1 - direct watercolor

IMG_5468.jpeg

Thanks all, for kind comments...still busy right now to comments...Hope to come back.

Another building sketch in directwatercolor this morning (parking deck with Bougenvillea)..uhm I seem to add more pink petal than actual...
1000001144.jpg

1000001145.jpg

Joan -- thanks, yes that was at the end of my hike, I found a bench in the shade to sit on and sketched what was right in front of me :) I like the details in the Port Jefferson frozen yogurt place, and the dark background behind the sitting person is great. Darks can "shine a spotlight" onto something too! At the garden or nursery I'm kind of amazed how you got the plants showing through those panels. Great colors!

Ai -- great shoe... made me think of:

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do.

We're typing at the same time :) ... the building is great. Thailand seems so colorful!

Jo -- good job on the digital chair, like the green background. The pastel is great!

#3 Free Space#1 -- this place is called Russian Gulch. There is a more well-known Russian Gulch about 60 miles up the coast in Mendocino County. ( new pen ink, ink wash, and normal mint-box palette :) )
IMG_1920rs.jpg

photo:
20240609_144016rs.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guy and gals.
Joan your plants and the chiminea are super. The plastic siding is so well done.

Ai, parking garage with bougainvillea is amazing. You did a great job on it. Our parking garages are pretty plain.

Ned, I like your Russian Gulch. The touches of green bring it to life. You captured the feel of the big bluffs in your sketch. The photo is beautiful.

Happy sketching all.....

Hi friends A lot of good sketches going on here. I got a couple down yesterday and hope for more today.. will post later Big hug to all

Ai, I love how they added color to a very boring parking garage. You captured it well.

Ned, thanks. The lady sitting at the table happened to be walking around a bit later with her little boy and came to look at what I was painting. She recognized herself in the painting and was thrilled. Great job on another rocky beach scene. I love all the rocks you capture.

Jo, thanks so much! I was painting from the mobile studio while it was drizzling.

Hi, Robin!

Hi friends A lot of good sketches going on here. I got a couple down yesterday and hope for more today.. will post later Big hug to all
I was wondering about you this morning! Hey there and hugs.

Joan, we are going to get the car serviced so may see a car or two. :)

I headed over to the Planting Fields Artboretum in Oyster Bay. I wanted to check if the roses were blooming on the trellises yet...and they were.

14 - free space #2 - direct watercolor
IMG_5474.jpeg

Wow, Joan, such beautiful trellises with the roses. Thanks for driving there for us. I like your dark shadows.

We went to the car dealer for service and a recall on a door part. My daughter always takes a photo of her feet while she waits so I thought of sketching my feet like she does. Then I got part of a pick-up, the wall was in the way for the rest. Note the price of $82,865. I did not check the details. It did include wheel well covers, I didn't know how to draw that ...Just looked almost black behind the rear tires.
Number 8 car - about 2/3 of an expensive pick-up.
Number 8 clothes - pants and shoes
In the Canson drawing sketchbook 5.5 x 8 inches with Acurit 3 pen

csshfl117.jpg

csshfl117clothing.jpg

Back