Scavenger Hunt from Life #127: Aug 23 - Aug 31

Good morning everyone. It is about 7 am here and I just finished my morning walk.

Ai, thanks. It is always fun to go out sketching with other people. What a nice view to have to sketch while you waited for Lily's test. Nice work.

Moscatel, thank you. I love your sketches of your striped tabby. She looks like a very relaxed model.

Ned, many thanks. I love your early morning skyline over Yellowstone Lake. I've never traveled through there. When we drove cross-country we always headed on a more southern route, especially since we would usually stop and see friends who live near Ft. Worth. There are so many wonderful places to see as you drive along. I saw that the Grand Canyon had flash floods yesterday, so I hope your weather traveling is good. Travel safely.

After our busy weekend, we had a nice cozy evening treat at our local cafe...The girls were busy on their cellphones...

#7 quiet + loud...pls guess who was a very loud baby among both...Done with 2B, 12B, and CP on brown envelope...

1000005203.jpg

Joan what a great place to go to Chinatown. Love your sketch full of info and people. I also thank you for your photo of the artists. Makes me smile. What a good find of the dragon for animal. The umbrella scene is great as well. Wow! A carnival. Super sketch.

Ned, fun to find your way from Butte to Dubois. Don't remember that town but must have been there as I remember Riverton just down the road. Yellowstone and the Tetons are amazing. Your sketch is amazing and beautiful. Applause. Thanks for the photos, too, with the peek of you two. The sketch in the car is excellent. Interesting car to go cross country in! Stay safe and have fun.

moscatel, love the kitty sketches. Handy to have an animal companion.

Ai, beautiful sky and tree and capture of the boats. I'm sure Lily did well on her test. What a wonderful portrait of the two girls. Lovely memories. I'm guessing that Lily is the loudest!

I played in the pastel dust. On an irritating piece of UArt paper. It takes water well but curled more than usual and I didn't wet it much for the under-painting. I sketched yesterday and by the end of today you see it is all rolled up. I will have to tape it down again to fix the parts where I couldn't lay the pastel down well. I'm also not sure about the background color. Hopefully I will finish it tomorrow. Wanted to post today in case I don't finish. I'll post a finished one later. It will be Gene's birthday but we won't really celebrate until Larry gets back from NY and celebrate both his and mine together.
Number 4 fruit and Number 5 new - a new ceramic glass from the Empty Bowl purchases.

csshfl127fruit-new.jpg

Ai, thank you!

Ned, how fun! Did you sketch the car itself while you were riding? I've done that a few times from the back seat. Glad you have been able to pop in here and that we can enjoy your trip with you. Travel safely! See ya at your next stop.

Jo, thanks. I've been lucky to have some new, interesting views to sketch. Nice vivid colors in your still life. Glad the new pottery is coming in handy. Sorry the paper isn't cooperating too well.

Ned: Thanks. Awesome inside VW view... great to see your smile with your daughter. I wish I can travel along with you two...

Jo: Thanks. Wow amazing dust play from you.... You know that I never have enough of your pastel works.

Joan and all: Hello.

Ai - First off that last comment was supposed to say “ Chicken rice looks good but like more traditional breakfasts like pancakes or bacon and eggs.” The canal excavator really contrasts with the royal barge. Two very different vessels kind of beauty and the beast on water. Tone’s sketch is excellent. The sailboat pier painting has a very relaxing feel to it. The double portrait is great!

Joan - Market scene is well done. The parking place art studio looked convenient and hot. The dragon is pretty cool as is the umbrella painting Where was that colorful carnival?
Ned - Lots of color showing on iPad. Well done. Love the highway view. Stay safe on the roads. VW bug has lots of fond memories for us. Thanks for photo.

Moscatel. - Great cat sketches. Oil does not seem a typical sketch medium but you do it well.

Jo. - Beautiful. Ditto Ai’s words.

#1 BBQ utensil
#2 plant
Multiple grades of graphite in A5ish sketchbook.

IMG_2737.jpeg

Why is it you see so many things to fix after you post?
Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Started to dabble with gouache. Wondering if anyone has any opinions about gouache or gouache versus watercolor?

Also got myself wondering about meandering through different mediums rather than focusing on one or two. My main go to mediums are graphite and color pencil. Both take much longer than say watercolor. I think time needed is what started my meandering plus the beautiful wc art you all post here. But now I feel at times I am wasting time playing with new mediums vice creating. Free time is becoming more limited. Anyone else feel or think this way?

Sorry for babbling out a mind dump but got none else who understands
Fletch

Greetings from Cherokee Iowa. Longer drive today and I didn't draw. Nebraska was really beautiful and nothing like I imagined. We went across the north part of the state on Highway 20. This part of the country is new to me.

Joan, haha yes I drew the inside of the car while it was moving, but I thought I'd get kind of seasick if I tried to draw the view through the windshield!

Fletch, great job on the barbecue and plant. I should let others answer your good questions.

Next stop Milwaukee!

Last edited:
Fletch: Thank you so much. Love your BBQ and plant graphite sketch. Got to see a peek of your leisure cozy corner of life. Well done on the drawing. .... About the gouache... I have a limited experience with it... though in the past I used to paint with Caseine (milk-based gouache) as some postcards... you have to think of it as non-transparency, which is quite different to my usual wc medium. I recently got a kido version of poster/gouache colors here too... I will need to play with it more too, myself. Just have fun with it...Cheers.

Ned: Great to hear of your cool trip... safe travel... and occasionally jotted down a few sketches for us to see as you can... enjoy your time with your daughter.

Been a while since I have participated in a hunt, so it's high time...

14. Natural or artificial:

2024 Bottle shard and pen DSC_2242.JPG

Well, the pen is obviously artificial. So is the bottle shard, but then, once it's been lying in the street for a while, slowly disintegrating, it becomes kind of natural.

We artists are really weird: who else would pick up filthy trash from the street for no other reason than to draw it? :LOL:

Ai, lovely double portrait!

Joan, so much going on in your carnival drawing/painting. Well done!

Ned, very good drawing of the inside car view.

Jo, thank you! You bet the kitty is good company, also join me to pleinair trips close and far. Gorgeous fruit painting! Really enjoying seeing it!

Fletch, thank you for your comment! Your barbecue drawing is stunning! I like how you cropped the objects.
To paint and practice with gouache is not a waist of time if you truly enjoy the medium. Also, like you said sometimes you want to do smth faster than pencil. I bought my first gouaches a while bach thinking I might find them interesting but to contrary I don't even tolerate them. I get angry when painting with them. So, mostly I just keep it in oils which I enjoy tremendously. For me it would be waist of time to try to learn more with gouache.

Brian, good drawing!

Last edited:
Thanks, Joan, Ai and all.

Fletch, wow on your BBQ set up. You did the roundness, ellipses so well. Lovely shading. I keep thinking about whether it is good to do different media as well. It seems to inspire me to do more art as I get in a rut. I don't try to "study" or do too much thinking. Like watercolor, just "color" with it and not try to be a watercolorist, enjoy my mistakes. Gouache, I haven't really tried. I have it on my wish list so maybe for birthday or Christmas I will get some. Look up Jessica Zimsky, she did amazing portraits of kids with gouache on brown paper. I took a workshop with her and Jack Hines in pastels and oils but she did some demos in gouache but it was in '94 so I don't remember any of her techniques. James Gurney gives little demos on it, he uses it for small plein air paintings. Whatever you use, don't stress over it. My drawing today is so wonky but I'm posting anyway. Ha.

Hi Ned, good to see you on the fly!! Having a Miller High Life, I think that is the beer that made Milwaukee famous, right? Thanks for taking us along.

Hi Brianvds, long time no see but always nice when we do. Ha love the broken bottle and pen and the comments that came with it. Lovely shading. The moth is an amazing find. Yay.

moscatel, thanks. Pastels are a favorite as you draw and paint all at once. Never have to wait for paint to dry!

I sketched on the porch looking in at the table. I sketched the left half as the sliding door was in the way. Then when I started to get it ready to scan i thought I would just finish it. So ... lopsided and weird.
Number 6 table in the large Canson sketchbook with Micron 03

csshfl127table.jpg

Last edited:
Back