Scavenger Hunt from Life #121: Jul 06 - Jul 14

Ai, those paint wells are nice and large too.

Ned, enjoy the vacation and sketch if you can. Memories of times like that are important. Impressive job on the water tower.

Jo, my biggest problem with the continuous line sketch is how to not go over the same spot so it is so obvious. lol Nice job on the planters. Hope the test results are good.

6 - street light - direct watercolor
7 - solid tree
8 - double rear lights

IMG_5621.jpeg

9 - jagged petals - direct watercolor

IMG_5617.jpeg

Joan, excellent finds and work. Love the dark shadows in the scene with the car. The flag was a neat surprise in the details. The flowers are very nice. Purple and yellow go great together.

In my studio looking out the window. In the Canson Mixed Media large sketchbook, half page. With watercolors and an angled brush.

Number 4, allergy causing - cedar trees, direct watercolor (had to try)

csshfl121allergy.jpg

The Thai royal barges have been towed to dock at the Thai navy base right by ChaoPhraYa river for royal barge possession rehearsal... directwatercolor

#2 red
#3 jagged

1000002441.jpg

1000002439.jpg

1000002422.jpg

From the empty barges of previous sketch, to the busy barges with full staffed naval row men during the rowing rehearsal.

#4 zesty...distance view of the Grand Palace over the busy ChaoPhraYa river... directwatercolor

1000002524.jpg

#5 instrument -- those Thai navy young squads, who have to practice rowing those royal barges in unison, in order to move the barge along the mighty ChaoPhraYa river, in the real procession in late October. One barge needs 50 men; one other barge needs 70 men row power.

1000002522.jpg

1000002517.jpg

Last edited:
Jo, I'm glad you gave direct watercolor a shot. You did well! Welcome to our world. lol

Ai, those royal barges are so colorful and unusual. Your sketches of them are great! I was wondering how many men it took to row those and you sketched it and answered that question. Wow! Thanks for sharing such interesting aspects of your culture with us. That must be a sight to see.

Hoping to get something sketched for the hunt this morning. I was hoping to get out sketching with the sketchers today but the forecast is for heavy rain at times until about 10 near the city and then possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. My friend and I were on the phone at 7am trying to decide what to do. It seems like every time we listen to the forecasts and don't go, it doesn't rain. We decided it was a better idea not to go, so I'm home with some free time this morning. I hope I don't get distracted. lol

Ai, too bad majestic wasn't on the list. How wonderful you get to see the big ships/row boats. You captured the movement so well. Mmmmm.

Joan, too bad you didn't go out. The flip flops and vacuum are great. Nice lines!

We might get a shower today but nothing strong. Maybe lunch with Joanna.

Wow, great sketches everyone, a great joy in heart pocket reading about modifying travel stuff, weak color product, vacation and creative associations with list…i snuck in a few sketches on my lunch break. Two f the gals are on vacation this week so have been going in everyday…really builds the desire to pick up any ole thing and sketch!!!!:love:
Thanks for each of you keeping this place alive and fun!!,,, that is seriously true…

Last edited:
Ball point in pocket 3 1/2” x 5” sketcher ( per recommended by Fletch)

1nozzle
2 lighting strip above mirror in employee bathroom…. :cool:(y)
3 allergy causing crackers- just so happened the quilting guild had a luncheon
4 empty blender container
5 plastic bottle sketch didn’t get to sketch- buzzer calling help to register went offi hd to use bathroom before responding and then i snagged the lighting sketch….hehehehe
IMG_2400.jpeg
IMG_2399.jpeg

LOL Like I said this morning, when I listen to the forecasts and stay home from sketching with the NYC Urban Sketchers it ends up not raining. We didn't have one drop more here since this morning. However I can't say what happened in Brooklyn.

Jo, thanks. I hope you got some rain and enjoyed lunch with Johanna.

Robin, thanks for your comments. Glad to see you were able to sneak in a few sketches. I like that nozzle. Good job on these.

Since it wasn't raining I went out to sketch something...ended up by the playground that is down by the bay.
12 - chilhood - watercolors and ink

IMG_5628.jpeg

12 - white insides on the clam & oyster shells - Procreate

IMG_0150.jpeg

#6 solid...NangNong temple, Bangkok ... directwatercolor

1000002552.jpg

1000002590.jpg

#7 white ...RajchaOros temple,
Bangkok...directwatercolor

1000002588.jpg

1000002583.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002552.jpg
    1000002552.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
Joan, Jo, Joe1, Fletch, Robin, and all: Thanks for your kind comments on my sketches. Yes, the Royal Barge Procession was to be on special auspicious occasion such as the King's 60 years on the throne (for the late King Rama9)... but for the recent King Rama10, it is usually hold once a year in late October but due to Covid-19, the Thai navy had them canceled for a few years. However, they revive the ceremony again. It is a very high ritual. Beside, rowing, those men will have to row under the special "chanting", by one of the head Navy officer, who also happen to called out to each rower (if he was not in his chanting mode), if the rower young officer missed his turn or perform the wrong angle or form. The drilled officer will yell to him. I think the chanting will also help all rowers to get better in unison with the chanting rhythm. When I was 12 years old (about 1984), I did see the full procession on ChaoPhraYa River, under the late King Rama9. At that time the procession was so special, to celebrating 200 years old of Bangkok. I was standing and clinging on the fence, along the River to see the entire event... about 2 hours. I will try to find if there is any historical clip on You-Tube.... OK, there is one here of a more recent final practice of a procession, (not the one of Bangkok 200 years old celebration though) -->
. The entire procession commands so many royal boats. Some boats are for the King and the highest ranking prince and princess... So you may notice the more decorated boat head as well as more fancy costume of the rowers ... as shown at time marker in the clip : such as 0:05, 6:37, and 7:19 ... The one at 7:19 is the highest ranking boat head... only for the King. If you notice, I did a sketch of the two highest decorated boat heads.

BTW, I found a short clip of the real recent ceremony, 4 years ago, when the King-Rama10 taking his reign... For this clip at about time marker 2:45, you can see how the whole procession size up in relative to the entire river -->

And all sorry that I have not commented much lately.... I had so many things going on and super busy and get some anxiety feel at times.

Last edited:
Ai, thanks for the video clips. I love the precision of the rowers. They remind me of a line of dancers, like the Rockettes moving perfectly in rhythm.

Back