Scavenger Hunt from Life #126: Aug 15 - Aug 23

Hi all! I'm up here in northern Idaho. No cell service out here at the cabin. I can use my phone when we go to town.

Wow this one is a really great list with lots of great sketches by all of you!

Testing to see If I can make a list on my phone because my laptop is back in Washington.

1. Test one
2. Test two

Yep it looks like that works great! I'll try to post the next list on Wednesday. Turns out the hunt I'm supposed to host is exactly the days we will be driving from here to New York. I'll put a couple items on there that I might see along the way just in case.

#13 laser lemon...pencil and wc...I borrow a figurine from a co-worker to sketch during my lunch break...

1000005010.jpg

Jo. - Hatching on the jeans is textbook. literat looks like an art book illustration.

Joan - I am with Jo. The lemon looks like watercolor not markers. The contrasts on the wine opener really make it pop. The bamboo dish reminds me of Hawaii. Chinese restaurants there all served the food in those style dishes/ bowls. Have not seen that on the mainland. Now that I think about it. Eating a Chinese in Hawaii was an event. There was no takeout and a meal could take 3-4 hours. You could get take out at stores that only sold takeout,

Christine we lease now so new car every 3 years but as you say the last 3 have all been Gunmetal gray. 😎 Two before that were white. They were tough to find in parking lots. Would guess 70-80% of cars in Florida are white.😊

Ai - Truly a baby chick. Nicely done.

Ned 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Ai, thanks! Cute lemony yellow figurine.

Jo, thank you. Looking back at the dimsum I'm hungry now too. lol The Posca pens blend like watercolors so you can shade a bit.

Christine, thanks. I've never used the Posca pens before and wish I had bought a few broader markers too. I will let you know what I learn in the class.

Ned, I'm glad to see you are able to make a list. Happy travels!

Fletch, the Posca markers do activate with water and blend like watercolors. The nice thing is that you can layer them and the new color covers the underneath layer. I'm not sure what we will be doing at the workshop I'll be taking, but I wanted to try something a little different for me. I love all kinds of Chinese food and dim sum is a favorite.:) I haven't developed a taste for sushi, maybe because I'm not really a fish eater. Ramen is also a favorite. I do try different things when I go out with my friend, Suzala who thinks I need to try everything.

13 - raspberry (not jazz berry) jam - Posca markers

IMG_5871.jpeg

14 - macaroni & cheese - watercolors and ink

IMG_5874.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Joan, Fletch, PaintBoss, and all on my lemon baby chick.

Joan: You did a great job on both the jam and the macaroni. Have fun with the class.

Joan - I recognized the Smuckers as soon as I saw the cap scrolling down. Red Raspberry is Sharon’s fav except she likes preserves not jam. The Mac and cheese composition is clever.

#2 Sunset Orange - Orange
#3 Lemon Yellow - Lemon.
Watercolor in a small WC Journal. Need to learn to work faster to minimize the hard lines.
Water is the hard spot of WC for me.
IMG_2711.jpeg
IMG_2710.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Hi PaintBoss, thanks.

Hey, NedL, sounds like a great summer so far. Idaho is wonderful this time of year. Yay! See you on the road to NY. Take care.

Ai, what a cute figurine in the laser yellow! Nice sketch.

Fletch, you are too kind, but thanks! We like white cars. We have a silver/gray now. Looks dirty all the time. The white is better for that believe it or not. Your lemon and orange are great. You are understanding the water more than you think probably. Nice....

Joan, thank you. I love your jam sketch with the pens. Love your cheese and macaroni! Clever gal.

I sketched at the dining table again. The bottom of the jeans page with the Micron 03 and crayons in macaroni and cheese, cerulean, scarlet, tan and brown. I wasn't clever to add some macaroni like Joan!
Number 7 macaroni and cheese - just the cheese, more letters should be white but the gel pen doesn't write on the crayolas, just the black ink. The cheese is Longhorn style cheddar, my favorite.

csshfl126cheese.jpg

Hi all
Joan. Love your little snatches from life!
Jim. Really nice work on the orange and lemon. I actually like some of the lines.
Jo- nice little drawing going all in on subject and matching medium!🙂 The gel pen worked really well on the ink! Good thinking!

Jo - I thought if anyone would you would be the one to actually have Mac and cheese. Nice job on the cheddar. Thanks for encouragement.

Christine - Thank you.

Ned - Beautiful photo that seems to scream “PAINT ME!” Have a safe trip.

Fletch

Great job, Jo and Fletch.
Ned: I agree with Fletch of tempting to paint that view... Enjoy your time there for us, in anyway you wish.

Jo: Great take on the mixed media with Crayola of the cheese. It is tricky when we try to embrace another media, and often, we run into a new challenge... and hopefully we will find a new process solution. Cheers to your cheese sketch.

Fletch: Love your fruits in wc... please remember, I have tried to work with wc since 1998 (on-off hobby... from painting now to more of sketching).... So please be kind to your wc progress. I think you have done great.

Ned - stunning scenery!

I got 3 more hunt items drawn -

6. - Blush color - Bergenia flowers from my garden. Picked some to put in a vase as it was too cold to sit outside. Photo of Bergenias in my garden in my 2nd post.
7. - Color sand - color of the vase and
8. - Shadow color - shadow on the vase
20240822_145240.jpg

Last edited:
Bergenia flowers in my garden (a photo not a painting) - sorry about the 2 posts but Im posting by my phone so not easy to post images.
20240822_114309.jpg

Last edited:
Let's see if I'm doing this correct, I tried to read the rules carefully.

Everyone, I'm admiring so much wonderful work you are doing here!

#1 Pine Green - little pumpkin
#2 Laser Lemon - another pumpkin
#3 Shadow - both have cast shadows

IMG20240822112222~2.jpg

IMG20240822112206~2.jpg

I think I participated once long ago but have gotten rusty. 😆
I thought I could post here the yellow 🟡 pumpkin because the color matches or should it be actual lemon 🍋 ❓

These are oil paintings on canvas and the yellow is Old Holland Cad Yellow Light.

Last edited:
PaintBoss, thanks. I learned about the white gel from Joan. She knows watercolor and ink!

NedL, ahhhh, beautiful scene. It looks like near Nelson in Canada where we spent time. Don't fish, though. Rode the ferry across to play golf. Ha.

Fletch, thank you. Happy to see your work ... always.

Ai, thanks. I don't mind trying new media but I'm not good at learning and studying. I just do what I do. I probably wont touch the crayons again until the great grands visit for Thanksgiving.

Vivien, mmmm, lovely flowers. I had to chuckle at the "too cold outside" when we are in triple digits in F. It was 110º last couple of days. Good and clever choices and style of sketch.

Moscatel, very good on your paintings. also clever choices. I like your shadow on the yellow pumpkin, I always have difficulty with that, tend to go too purple. We are really around the world this Hunt!

Back