Scavenger Hunt from Life #122: Jul 14 - Jul 22

Fletch: Thanks...yes, Iris and Lily got to pick some destinations like anime district zone, and some bookshops. But we all enjoyed bookshops visit together. When I sketched with my art friends, Tone was kind to took the kids to another cool art supply store named "Itoya" of Ginza...but this shop is more into lux items like super expensive fountain pens...where "Sekeido" of Shinjuku is more into reasonable price art supplies and art books.

Jo: thanks...I think I have slowed down in sketching or doing arts too. I remember that I used to do between 10-15 Hunt items now about 5-10 items mostly per Hunt.

Ai, such cool places. Oh the anime! Exciting for the younger set for sure! I like your samurai.
But i really love your street scenes! Well done!

Ai WOW. .the swordsman sketch fits with sword and sorcery novels I read so I really enjoyed. The water floor painting is great. You really captured the atmosphere. Nice you are getting to meet with art friends. They both appear talented. The girls are into anime. Do they draw any? Thank you so much for sharing your trip.

#3 nail - borrowed Jo’s idea. Multiple grades of graphite in the A5ish sketchbook. I took artistic license with the skin.😎 made it bit younger and more taut then the model.
IMG_2636.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Tone and I headed out early to the classic zone of Tokyo called "Asakusa", which is not far from our hotel. The girls were still snoozing for yesterday shopping thru the entire 7 floors of Anime epic center building.
#9 sub. a kite with a giant red lantern of entrance of Asakusa.
1000003258.jpg

1000003232.jpg

Paint Boss, thanks.

Joan, thanks. I'm not sure about decal either. Ha.

Fletch, thanks. I fudge on the text. Just put the main stuff and maybe add another line if my letters don't fit across. So maybe I'll be lucky and no one will put my can next to the real one. Evil grin. Our hand models are of the idea young at heart! Great job on your nail..

Ai, love the little samurai man. Good find. The water park sounds great in warm weather. Wonderful that you sketched with friends. Beautiful sketches and photos. Super find of the giant lantern for a kite. Applause for you and your trip.

More sketching in the small sketchbook with the Acurit 3 pen. Nice feel to the pen by the way.
Number 7 mail (junk mail torn in half) and Number 8 latch - on the TV stand/fireplace.

csshfl122mail-latch.jpg

Thanks all: PaintBoss, Jo, and Fletch, et. al, for your kind support.

Jo: Great job on the latch and the torn mail.

I think the Japanese use a great deal of the water brushes, may be also to load up with ink and do some manga style drawing or their own writing. I found so much varieties that they offer.... I can't decide... lol.... plus I don't need to buy any extra....
1000002841.jpg

1000002840.jpg

Last edited:
#11 radio ... the radio/television broadcasting tower over Tokyo, called the Tokyo Skytree... directwatercolor with a waterbrush...I felt awkward to use it but it fits the little quick sketch situation (about 4x6 inch)

1000003282.jpg

1000003275.jpg

Wow, Ai…..good portrayal of a bad dream. ……not to be mean….. interesting idea to paint at night….how do you see the pallette and paper? You get so much done in so little paper. (y)

Thanks all: PaintBoss, Jo, and Fletch, et. al, for your kind support.

Jo: Great job on the latch and the torn mail.

I think the Japanese use a great deal of the water brushes, may be also to load up with ink and do some manga style drawing or their own writing. I found so much varieties that they offer.... I can't decide... lol.... plus I don't need to buy any extra....
View attachment 42074

View attachment 42075
Oooh, now i REALLY. Have some envy!,,,

Robin: Thanks. I don't normally do nocturn sketch... but in this case the Tower will be colorful lit up at night... and if I painted it day time, it will be just a bore metal... for the palette... I remember each color's location on my travel palette by heart... and I don't mix color much, so I know what colors I should put down.

Ai, you are amazing. Love the tower and all the notes and photos. I be happy, as my son says. And.... to have oragami in your room, special...

Fletch, thanks for the Hunt. It was a good one! See all y'all on the next Hunt that Robin has posted.

Ai, the lantern is a good sub for kite. The pens in the glass were there to sample and try out? Cool that there was origami fir your room. The nocturnal view of the tower is so unusual. As you say in daylight it would be boring. Again many thanks for sharing your family trip with us.

Jo - junk mail is the bulk of what we get super hatching on the cabinet latch.

Joe1, Robin and also all the lurkers 👋🏽👋🏽👋🏽

Thanks to all who participated. Appreciate your art, your creativity and your encouragement.
Keep sketching
Fletch

What a great scavenger hunt from life this one was!

Ai -- Kappabashi street is fun and well done, and the samurai has wonderful energy. Water floor is great! So prolific! I like that you did direct WC with a waterbrush.... :)

Joan -- always like your ink sketches, and the ink+WC park is great!

Fletch -- great job on the hand, like the artistic license.

Jo -- I liked your latch. I have never heard of acurit pens -- looked at them on amazon ... that was the 0.3mm? I would not mind trying a new pen sometime... do you need to hold them very upright to use them? I remember when I took drafting in high school, the "technical pens" needed to be held almost vertical.

About to go on a walk out to the nearby point ( it will be a very low tide today ), haven't decided yet about fishing today. Hopefully will get a sketch or two for the next hunt :)

You all did a great job and provided lots of points of interest.
Fletch, art stuff-you are so right there are many choices. And none of them are cheap!

Thank you all as well for joining and giving one other encourgaing words and cool little gems for other to admire.

Back