Scavenger Hunt from Life #124: July 30 - Aug 7

Thanks so much Joan...you have done a great sketch with watercolour-pencils.

#7c, #7d ...more buildings
from Georgetown, Penang - .
The town hall

1000004235.jpg

1000004222.jpg

The city hall

1000004265.jpg

1000004239.jpg

Ai, I like how you simplify the architectural detail so that you include enough to give the design of the building without all the fussy details. These are really nice!

Joan, great landscape, love the clouds. The pier/dock with the wood and cylinders was a clever find. Beautiful flowers. The dark and reddish make them pop.

Ai, what a marvelous sketching trip. You found so many items and captured the scenes and gave us good impressions of the area. I was looking at the map to see where you are and you got the highlights of Penang and George Town perfectly. Wonderful all the items you found in your sketches. Night time as well. Thanks for all the photos and including yourself! Your translucent drink makes me thirsty. Your buildings are amazing. Applause!!

I sketched here at my computer table in the Canson travel sketchbook with a Sharpie fine line pen. Number 1, hand and Number 2, scratchy with challenge of holding an item in your hand. That is a back scratcher that extends. My friend, Sue, got it for me to use as a mahlstick. It is small and folds into an art bag. She got it at a dollar type store. It works well.

csshfl124hand.jpg

Jo, thanks so much! I like the hand holding the backscratcher...a two-for-one useful object. lol Great idea to use it as a mahlstick.

We are having a bit of a heat wave, so I went out early to do some sketching. It was too sunny where I went to sit out and sketch so I resorted to my mobile studio. I did have the windows open for 95% of the time, but then it was just too hot so I closed the windows and turned on the AC. Luckily the farmers market here usually has a spot where I can paint and see one or more of the vendors without leaving the car.

9 - triangular shape to tent top - watercolors and ink
10 - vehicle
11 - made of metal (food truck) I couldn't see what they were selling from the truck...will have to check some day when it is cooler.

IMG_5742.jpeg

12 - from the bathroom cabinet - continuous ink line + watercolor later

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5732.jpeg

13 - from the kitchen cabinet - continuous ink line + watercolor added

IMG_5737.jpeg

IMG_5738.jpeg

Joan: great food truck sketch with people. Nice both tube details and wonderful seasoning bottle.

Jo: Thanks and lovely malhstick.

#7f -- another building, the famous "Fire Station 1908" of Georgetown, Penang...It is quite a challenge for me to draw this one....pencil+ WC..about 10*20 inches size

1000004313.jpg

1000004363.jpg

1000004334.jpg

#11 an entrance or exit ...an eclectic cafe in the warehouse Jetty 35 area, they convert an old-time warehouse into multiple units of galleries and cafes. ...WC+ pencil

1000004286.jpg

1000004276.jpg

Thanks all.

Joan the food truck scene is so good Love all the details as normal. Your continuous line work is fun and takes patience. The added color is a good touch. I love pepper, I would like that in my pepper mill.

Ai, that is a very ambitious sketch of the fire station. Wow. You have been busy with the Penang sketches. Don't know how you have time to post and do all the things you do. We love sharing your trips. The entrance makes me smile.

#12 sub. triangular with the angle of the wooden pier (part of the Tan Jetty Georgetown, Penang) and front of some stilt home ....pencil+wc
#13 made of metal...the white vessel

1000004449.jpg

1000004434.jpg

Next part done in a cool aircon cafe converted from an old warehouse in Georgetown, Penang..using...pencil+markers+wc
#14 made of pottery...the lion
#15 made of wood...the tall bottle
#16 made of fabric..the best pillow "Mrs. Always Right"

1000004493.jpg

1000004485.jpg

1000004481.jpg

Thanks all, Joan, and Jo.

Jo: Yes, lots of sketches done...I just enjoy my time here, tomorrow will fly back home to Bangkok, and back to work on a new semester start on Tuesday...lol...I know I want to avoid this cramp of schedule...but I can't this time.

Ai, I'm glad that you were able to sketch so many hunt items in the views there. That firestation has so many windows! I'd still be drawing them. Both cafe sketches are so great and colorful. You nailed the perspective on that pier. It looks like a wonderful trip! Have a safe trip home.

Jo, thanks. I bring back a bottle of those red peppers every time we go to Venice.

Ai, some great sketches to finish up your stay. Love the pillow, I need one of those, right? Guess you are on the flight by now. Many hugs and safe travels.

Joan, I often think of our visit in San Antonio and love visiting around NYC with you, too.

Wow, ya’ll are art roadrunners! Amazing, thanks for all the contribution and photos

I caught these 1 cylinder 2 rectangle 3 triangle 4 hand holding. this last Wednesday
IMG_2407.jpeg

Jo, I think about that visit too. Glad I can take you around to see the sights here.:)

Robin, great job with your hand holding the triangle. Nice box of beans and spray bottle.

I went out this morning to sketch at Weeks Boat Yard, one of my favorite spots around here.
14 - building - watercolor & ink
15 - plastic tarp on the boat
IMG_5744.jpeg

16 - something in a bottle (port wine - not a favorite of mine so it will be in the bottle a while) - watercolors & a touch of ink

IMG_5746.jpeg

I sketched 15 min. Of my hotel lobby cabinet showing Chinese pottery in various shapes... Tombow - Gray dual brush pen + marker tips
#9b ...made of pottery...

1000004550.jpg

1000004542.jpg

I am boarding soon In 90 min. from Penang, Malaysia, to go back home to Bangkok. Thanks all for your kind support of my sketches.

#17 rectangular ...part of gate sign, and part of plane door and plane connector...12B pencil..about 20 minutes

PS. This was the plane of previous flight, parked at the same gate of mine...

1000004561.jpg

1000004562.jpg

Back