Scavenger Hunt from Life#117 -- June 4-12, 2024

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:

• All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
  • Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
  • You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
  • All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
  • Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
  • Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
  • Have fun!
🎈 If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #117: June 4-12
-------------------------------------------

FreeSpace#1
Car
Motorcycle
Sign
You sit on this...
Nature
Building
Classic
Kettle
Cup
Pot
Pan
Spoon
Spatula
Hat
Clothes
Accessory
Something you read
Something you listen too
Something you like to do outdoor
FreeSpace#2
Vegetable
Fruit
Smell nice
People or figure
Animal

Have fun...!!!

I met up with my plein air group this morning on the grounds of the Long Island Maritime Museum in West Sayville.

1 - nature - direct watercolor

IMG_5430.jpeg

Joan -- that is extraordinary. The water with its reflections is great. I have trouble imagining controlling the brush to do that in direct watercolor -- bravo!

I had an ulterior motive for hiking at that remote beach yesterday and the one I went to today. Something I like to do outdoors ( not sure it is serious enough to call it a "hobby", but I've been doing it for a long time, just for fun ) is called "solargraphy", where you put out a simple pinhole camera for months and capture the sun as it goes across the sky. The cameras are simple, made from a soda can or something you don't care if someone takes. Yesterday and today I was collecting the cameras and replacing them with fresh ones. If the results are interesting, I'll put a link here so you can see what they look like. Anyway, for this view I was sitting on a rock directly above where a camera has been for the last 6 months. It was incredibly windy.. ink splatters were blowing out of my brush and I almost couldn't hold the sketchbook open... so it was a very hurried sketch :)

#1 something I like to do outdoors
IMG_1918rs.jpg

a photo:
20240604_153429rs.jpg

Joan: Such a beautiful start of this Hunt. Love the vegetation along the water stream... so delicate.

NedL: Such a majestic nature, you have beautifully captured. Is it a part of a park or vista point... or you can just park along the main road, and walk down to the beach?

NedL: Such a majestic nature, you have beautifully captured. Is it a part of a park or vista point... or you can just park along the main road, and walk down to the beach?

Ai -- This beach is in the Sonoma Coast State Park, but not many people know about it. It is about a mile walk on a trail, then you need to know where to leave the trail to go down to the beach. It's one of my favorite beaches, I love going there! Often only my footprints are in the sand :) But most of the beaches here are closer to roads, or only short walks.

Ned, I always love your sketches of the rocky Pacific coast. I can almost feel the wind blowing. Hold onto your sketchbook!!! Don't forget to post a link to the images from the camera. That sounds interesting.

Ned: Wow... your narrative of how to get to the special beach is so good. I feel like jotting this down my bucket list.

Joan, Your nature item of the marshy grasses is so beautiful. The car and building are great and the umbrellas just perk it up that much more. The motorcycle folks have such good gesture. I guess you and Ai are doing the direct watercolor challenge.

Ned your something you like to do is so nice. Shapes, shadows, water. Makes me want to be there. Beautiful photo, thanks. Waiting for the solargraphy link.

Ai, the jasmine in the bowl is beautifully done. I can imagine the lovely smell.

I played in the dust. Wiped off the last apple I had painted and wet the Pastelbord and let it dry. It was dark green to start with so had a nice dark color so did not paint a background. Number 1, fruit - Apples on the Loose

csshfl117fruit.jpg

Ai, I can just imagine the fragrance of the jasmine. Love the design on the bowl!! Nicely done.

Jo, thanks so much. I'm ready to reach in and grab one of the apples...you make them look so delicious.

I forgot to count my #5 - people in the sketch with the motorcycles.
IMG_5432.jpeg

6 - animal - direct watercolor
IMG_5450.jpeg

7 - classic fast food - watercolors and ink
IMG_5448.jpeg

Last edited:
Joan -- the car & umbrellas is really nice. I got caught up looking at how the shapes of color make up the whole image. Love the geese! Motorcycles & golden arches made me smile.

Ai -- that bowl is nicely done. I like the way you caught the essence of the blue on the bowl. I'll bet it does smell nice!

Jo -- great colorful apples!

I was busy all day yesterday going to a retirement lunch for a colleague ... got to see everyone from my work, which was very fun. I miss seeing them but hardly ever think about work! :) Today I went on a long walk to get another solargraphy camera and go fishing... I ended up not fishing but it was a great hike anyway. No sketching, but maybe tomorrow.

Here are links to the pictures. They are always a surprise and always different... it's fun to open them and see what it is.
The streaks in the sky are the path of the sun as the seasons change... low in winter high in summer.

1) this was at the remote beach ( last sketch from hunt 116 ):
https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/52488578/in/album/356973

2) this was from Tuesday ( 1st sketch from his hunt -- you can see the same rocks ): https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/52488580/in/album/356973

There are more in this album: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/album/356973?with=52488580

Last edited:
Ned, thanks for your kind words. I love the solargraphy! How cool that you can leave these can cameras to record the path of the sun as well as the photo of the area. How unusual!! Thanks for sharing.

Ai, your fruit and the shadow are so juicy!! Love it!

I was at the beach today. For this piece I wanted to capture the clothing for sale at the beach hut. This will be one of my 30x30 Direct Watercolors.
8 - clothes - direct watercolor
9 - accessories

IMG_5460.jpeg

10 - something I like to do outdoors (visit the beach) - Procreate (I had a hard time with this sketch on the iPad in the sun. It wasn't easy to see what I was doing.

IMG_0142.jpeg

Joan, the motorcycle sketch is amazing. You make it look effortless to capture the feeling. Love the birds. Beautiful water as well. The classic McDonald's made me smile. Gene loves Sausage and egg McMuffins. I think they taste like artificial eggs. We hadn't bought him any for months and had some just the other day. Thanks. Great on the clothes and accessories, too. Wow. The procreate sketch on the beach is so good. Applause!!

Ai your watercolor fruit is lovely. Like Joan said, juicy. Another Wow.

Here are links to the pictures. They are always a surprise and always different... it's fun to open them and see what it is.
The streaks in the sky are the path of the sun as the seasons change... low in winter high in summer.

1) this was at the remote beach ( last sketch from hunt 116 ):
https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/52488578/in/album/356973

2) this was from Tuesday ( 1st sketch from his hunt -- you can see the same rocks ): https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/52488580/in/album/356973

There are more in this album: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/nedl/album/356973?with=52488580
Ned, these are amazing. So interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I sent the link to my photographer son, Larry. I bet he tries this.

I am at the beach town, Hua Hin..at a hotel for my workplace annual seminar.

.I sketch this in evening, from our hotel balcony.
#3 something (some hotel guests) like to do outdoor ...water aerobics...directwatercolor

1000000986.jpg

Back