Scavenger Hunt #3 - Nov 26 - Dec 4

Ink and coloured marker, 5x8" toned paper.

1. Something round - old kitchen timer
2. Something rectangular - blade sharpening stone
3. Something with a lot of texture - red nubby kitchen scrubby that I chickened out drawing :(
4. Something smooth - flipper
5. Something that cuts - Pizza cutter

View attachment 14128

Cheers,
Hi EP - How are you? Great sketching and I like the composition youve made of them! Loved your description of number 3!

Please forgive me for posting my sketches a day late.

A set of comments on the work posted so far:
Triss - awww the doggies are so good :) I like your first sketch on the lined paper :)
Mary - mmmm I sense the steam coming off your coffee in the mug :) Yay the DnD dice bag :) Yay tower of fruit :)
Joan - I agree with you on corkscrews.
Angela - I think I haven't seen a disposable paper bowl
Sue - whee a sheep bank! Love the kitty who has wandered into your life :) Yahoo peppers with shine :)
Jo - lovely coloured handles on your scissors :) Yay fan on a stool table
joe1lt - yay Minion!
Ai - love your old train station with the wide format. Oooh nighttime too!
Anne - your ReaLime reminds me of something we buy here called ReaLemon :) A woman I knew from El Salvador who considered green fruit the standard/default. In fact she called the yellow fruit "yellow limes"
Vivien - hello, I'm good, thank you. How are you?

Nice ones EP. I had to chuckle at the textured scrubber comment. Good idea for the cutter.

EP, thanks for your comments. We have RealLemon here too. They are made by the same company, just one is lemon juice and one is lime juice. I use them both.

I did a couple in pen & ink this time. They are all in my Stillman & Birn Alpha 4"x6" sketchbook.

This is my neighbor's little decorative fence I see out our front window.

SH3-5 Landscape.jpg

A glass of water and a useful spoon
SH3-6,7 Water, Usefull.jpg

My not so heavy weights, done in ink & water-soluble sketching pencil.
SH3-8 Heavy.jpg

I've been busy the last few days trying to get paintings and things ready for an upcoming exhibit and sale that I am doing with my plein air group in 2 weeks. Sorry I haven't been here too much or sketching much for the hunt.

Ai, I bought a small light that is used by musicians when they have to read sheet music in the dark. The light is really strong and can be focused on several places at once. A friend recommended it when she was giving a nocturnal painting workshop. Of course I bought it and haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. lol Great sketches from the museum. Love the Buddha.

Sue, I love the shine and reflection on your peppers! I have trouble sometimes with shadows on still life paintings because I have several light sources shining on what I'm doing. It is best when I leave the regular lights off and pull out a light to shine on the setup. Mmm...I can smell that Chambord over here. I like the positioning of the glasses by the bottle.

Joe 1, that cutter looks dangerous! Be careful!!

EP, I have one of those timers on my counter in the kitchen. I like them cause they are LOUD, then they turn off. lol I hope your pizza cutter works better. than mine. Good group.

Anne, I love the landscape by the fence. Nice ink work!! Good refraction of the spoon in the water.

3 - something smooth (plastic covering the boats) - watercolors and ink
4 - tree
IMG_9123.jpeg

5 - landscape - watercolors
IMG_9118.jpeg

6 - water - watercolors
IMG_9120.jpeg

Hi everyone and thanks, all.

ams, Anne, your Lime bottle is so good, I can taste the tartness of the lime juice. The box is well shaded, too. Thread is hard to find in our house, I rarely mend and don't sew anymore. I had a timer like that. Fun. Oooh, I like your ink sketches. Just lovely. Clever find on the weights.

Sue, yes it has been like 40 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon. I love it! Your peppers are beautiful. Very real looking. I love painting/sketching in red. You fit right in here with your Raspbery iquer. We have lots of wine and beer sketches. That sounds yummy. Cute glasses, nice curves.

joe1lt, awww, a box cutter. Dangerous looking. You captured it well.

Ai, love the quick sketches. Sometimes it will be the memory created. Lovely photos, thanks.

Eyepaint, you did the scrubber well after all for texture. I like the pizza cutter, mine has a handle, I thing yours would be easier to use.

Joan, your Boat Basis is so nice. You make me want to go boating and you know it's not my thing. Ha. Beautiful fall trees.

Thanks Joan and Jo for your comments.

Joan, nice painting with smooth and tree. I like the shadows and fall colors in your landscape and water.

thank you all for the nice words.

Ai, beautiful statue, beautiful drawing, wondeful drawings of the 2 bas-reliefs.
Eyepaint,, beautiful designs, beautiful set of designs.

Ams, beautiful designs with both media.

Joan, 3 wonderful paintings.

hi, I'm almost done writing hunt which starts on December 4th, hoping it goes well.

i drew these.

water / Comes in a bottle
yesterday I drew it normally.
today I made a new drawing, 2 new ones, but digitally, redesigned directly on the computer.
about 2 hours for digital drawings, in the previous days I still practiced digital but without drawings, try frets and scribling,
make functions disappear and try to find them again, start over.

2021-11-30 14-28_pagina_2.jpg
bottiglia digitale1.jpg
2 ridotto.jpg

Good shape of the bottle, especially in the first one. You did a better job of perspective of the cap in the digital versions.

You can do an interesting experiment that can help you learn about how circular shapes change based on where you are standing in reference to the object.

Take a mug or other cylinder shaped object and put it on a shelf so it is at eye level. You may have to squat or stretch a little. If you are positioned correctly, the top of the mug will be a straight line. This is your horizon line. Next move the mug lower and you will be able to see the top. Notice that the lower you go, the more round the circle of the top will appear. The closer it is to the horizon line, the more flat the circle will appear. This is how you show the viewer the position of the object. If you move the object above the horizon line, you won't see the top at all. The upper edge will start to curve up in the middle. The higher it goes, the more the curve.

Hope this helps.

Jo- love your fan and stool. Your quick drawing is simple pleasure
Ams - soft accurate drawings - congrats
Sue - oooh la lab...raspberry liqueur sounds delightful cute drawing with the laying goblet. Oh lovely peppers. I really enjoy the detail on the stems
Joe - great cutting object love the energy of the old faithful tool
Ai- you get triple points for drawing at the museum on a tight time schedule
eyepaint- love the way the objects cascade down the page...clever way to add interest and dimension with the background objects....likie, like

CE348699-9159-47A1-B5B7-7664680942A5.jpeg
I try to post but photos are sideways
Also if I can’t post I cannot find how to delete the post reply window

Jo, lol I'd rather sketch boats than be on them.

Anne, thanks so much. Great lesson on circular shapes!

Joe 1, Thanks. Nice sketches of the bottle. It is a good idea to practice with the digital program and learn the process. I just jumped in with mine and then wondered why I had problems later. I'm too impatient.

Robin, I wonder why your sketches keep coming out sideways. They look good that way too.

7 - comes in a box - watercolors and ink (The last of my hubby's blueberry pie.)

IMG_9125.jpeg

Joan: Thanks for nocturne sketching lighting tips. Glorious and gorgeous fall colors, and the boat scene. The pie box tops my day... Amazing.

Anne: Thanks. Beautiful soft shading weight set, beautiful line in landscape, glass and spoon.

Robin: Thanks. Fantastic, fun, funky line sketches reminding me again how art make life so good.

Joe1: Thanks. What a cool digi. experiment. You did well in both medium.

Robin, lovely sketches. I'm not sure why they are on their side.

Joan, glad you found the circle lesson helpful. Nice box sketch.

Thanks, everyone.
Mary, I like your dice. I once had a pearly pink set. I haven't played D&D in a very long time, though. Cute snowman (fruitman?)
Sue, nice quick sketches. Those scissors look sharp! Beautiful peppers. Mmmmm, Chambord.
Jo, good grouping of items and shapes.
joe1, cute minions. Your knife looks like it means business! Look forward to you hosting! Interesting bottle experiments.
Ai, beautiful paintings. I don't think I'd try a night scene on location; I'd take a photo and work from the photo reference. You're braver than I.
Anne, I like your delicate pencil sketches. Love the reflections and shadows on the spool. Fun glass with spoon! I love doing sketches like that, with reflections and and refractions and discontinuities, etc.
EP, I like your arrangement of kitchen items. Disposable bowls are like paper plates, only bowl shaped.
Joan, beautiful paintings. The blueberry pie looks delicious.
Robin, nice colorful sketches, but I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing them.

I did this sketch yesterday, but then my father and his wife became ill, so I didn't get it uploaded. Had to buy groceries and make chicken soup instead. They were in the emergency room today, but they're back home now. I think everything will be okay, but I'll probably be helping them for a while.
20211129_093716 (Large).jpg

D0CF1819-A601-40E9-B5E0-2919068B0843.jpeg

sketch 5 - a bench. A quirky bench at work that is our makeshift break room seat. Sketches app iPhone

Sue- I love the chambord bottle!

Joe- great detail on your pocket knife

Ai- wow! That’s some old money. Great work on your Buddha

Eyepaint- great mix of colors and shapes

Thanks, everyone.
Mary, I like your dice. I once had a pearly pink set. I haven't played D&D in a very long time, though. Cute snowman (fruitman?)
Sue, nice quick sketches. Those scissors look sharp! Beautiful peppers. Mmmmm, Chambord.
Jo, good grouping of items and shapes.
joe1, cute minions. Your knife looks like it means business! Look forward to you hosting! Interesting bottle experiments.
Ai, beautiful paintings. I don't think I'd try a night scene on location; I'd take a photo and work from the photo reference. You're braver than I.
Anne, I like your delicate pencil sketches. Love the reflections and shadows on the spool. Fun glass with spoon! I love doing sketches like that, with reflections and and refractions and discontinuities, etc.
EP, I like your arrangement of kitchen items. Disposable bowls are like paper plates, only bowl shaped.
Joan, beautiful paintings. The blueberry pie looks delicious.
Robin, nice colorful sketches, but I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing them.

I did this sketch yesterday, but then my father and his wife became ill, so I didn't get it uploaded. Had to buy groceries and make chicken soup instead. They were in the emergency room today, but they're back home now. I think everything will be okay, but I'll probably be helping them for a while.
View attachment 14211
My best to your parents. I’m sure your soup helped 😊. Very nice sketch

Sorry for missing a load of this thread - my house took a bit of a battering in a storm here, and getting the phone lines & power back has taken a while. Loving everyone's sketches!

#1b - Soft. Dog2 on a blanket. Graphite, Artgraf, acrylic ink.

dog2cs.jpg

Back